2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great ride, but noisy engine poor MPG
By Rick on 09/24/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Rides like a sedan and accelerates quickly but the engine screams trying. Fit and finish is good as well as good legroom/headroom for a 6'4" guy. I expected better mileage than 22 MPG since my previous Sequoia, with a V8, got 20.5 MPG. The sticker stated 24 MPG on the highway and it doesn't come close.

#3 is the best
By John Agnew on 09/17/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 3rd Highlander Limited...each prior vehicle was driven 60,000 miles (Leased)...bought this one...in the first 2 months drove 8,500 miles exploring the country...average 23 MPG at 65-80 mph on Interstates...a real pleasure to drive...10 hour days on the road are very comfortable, especially with heated leather seats...smart key and power tailgate are slick...this one is a keeper!

Nice Wheels - Typical Toyota Part 2
By Love Findlay on 09/14/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Almost four months with our new Highlander and no issues since we drove it off the dealer lot. 5000 miles and averaging 19 mpg consistently....22 for hghwy trips. My wife loves the push button start and key fob that unlocks the vehicle for her. Vehicle is still quiet, smooth and has very comfortable seats. The seat heaters feel great on the lower back even during the summer and the JBL sounds great. The rear seat is roomy, comfortable and the rear climate control is as comfortable as the front...nice.

Small & Quick
By SLOJO on 08/25/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's new. Rides great. Maneuvers well. Plenty of get up and go. Has all the bells and whistles. Fit and trim are excellent. First non-"big three" we have owned. Center dash w/navigation/CD combined is too delicate and complex. Steering wheel controls good/dash controls unnecessarily confusing. Owners Manual near useless - WAY TOO LONG. More comfortable than competitors especially for someone over 6'2" and 250 lbs. Cargo area is good w/3rd seat down.

Great so far
By John on 08/24/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very smooth to drive, interior feels much more spacious than the Explorer we traded in for it. Fuel economy is good for SUV. Engine seems to work a bit harder than the explorer's did when I need to accelerate rapidly on to a highway, but other than that it has plenty of power.

Bumpy ride
By Nadine on 08/21/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The highlander is a beautiful SUV to look at but very bumpy to ride in. Would have been my dream SUV but now I hate to drive it because it's bumpy like a old 1987 car that need new struts or something. Please test drive it on all kinds of roads before purchasing.

Base V6
By BMac on 08/21/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Base V6 is nice, have Value Pack 2, but for the money would have liked rearview to have auto dim and compass, read hatch to open glass, include fuel computer. Bottom line would like some more standard options included for the price, but looks nice and very functional.

Great Product
By jimmy on 08/20/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car. It is like a fine swiss watch. I am averaging 26 MPG with the 4 cylinder. My car has the trailer towing package. This made it a much stronger vehicle. I had to order the vehicle to get the towing package, but it was worth the wait.

Beware of short-comings
By Drivers Ed on 08/19/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having the Highlander for a few months it is fun to drive and I do like the car. But the biggest trouble is that the Sport and Limited levels (including hybrids) have 19 inch wheels with odd size tires. There is basically 2 tires to choose from, plus a few snow tires. That's the only choice you have, and these tires are scary on snow. I have my tires rotated at the dealer, and from their write up, it'll probably last 20,000 miles in which case will cost almost $1,000 to replace (not easy to find either). Wish the space behind third row was longer as well as split third row to make it more usable. I think the Honda Pilot would be a better choice.

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 3.5L
By DB on 08/18/09 17:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was torn between this and the Honda Pilot. The Toyota won out even though it was $3,000 more. The comfort and the ride were just better. It is a very fun vehicle to drive. The fit and finish were what I would expect from Toyota. I do wish the Bluetooth was a little easier to use. I am also unsure about the electronic key. It's nice but I Kayak and worry about getting it wet. I would buy this vehicle again though.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$104 per month*