2009 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Mostly as expected but not everything
By pma022 on 02/21/11 10:41 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Own this SUV for nearly 2 years. Reliability is good. No issue so far. But there are quite a few rattling noises from dash,2nd and 3rd row seats. It's definitely not as serious as mechanical or electrical problem but sometimes is quite annoying. Dealer said it's from under seats and cannot fix due to safety issue. Another problem is the very weird tire size. They're top expensive. Change a set will charge $955 at Costco and $1000 at America Tire. Basically it's a comfortable and fast car but Toyota can make it better.

Great Ride!
By TimBuk2 on 11/25/09 05:48 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying my wife a minivan, I needed something bigger than my BMW 335xi for me and the kids. While it's not as fun to drive as a BMW, this is a great vehicle. Surprised at how BIG the interior is of the Highlander. Seats are super comfortable and perfect for fitting car seats in the 2nd row. Does not drive like a truck (like the Honda pilot does). Love the looks and styling and I expect to keep this vehicle for a very long time. I opted for the sport and leather package...the cloth seemed cheap feeling. Grey is a great color - hides the dirt very well.

Beware of short-comings
By Drivers Ed on 08/19/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having the Highlander for a few months it is fun to drive and I do like the car. But the biggest trouble is that the Sport and Limited levels (including hybrids) have 19 inch wheels with odd size tires. There is basically 2 tires to choose from, plus a few snow tires. That's the only choice you have, and these tires are scary on snow. I have my tires rotated at the dealer, and from their write up, it'll probably last 20,000 miles in which case will cost almost $1,000 to replace (not easy to find either). Wish the space behind third row was longer as well as split third row to make it more usable. I think the Honda Pilot would be a better choice.

Good Car
By Charles on 08/17/09 22:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. Handles, accelerates, rides excellently. Was pleasantly surprised on the ease of which it was to park and maneuver. It allows excellent visibility for the driver. The cabin is quiet and external noise from other vehicles or engine noise is minimal. You can listen to the radio at the same volume on the city streets as on the Highway. Doors close solidly and the 2nd row seats are comfortable for full size adults. Third row seats are small, and should be used for smaller adults/older children. Note: Running the A/C will take off 3-4 miles per gallon.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*