2009 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
The best bang for your buck for a 4 banger mid size suv
By ewayjeng on 11/21/13 16:28 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This car is great, bought used with less than 60K, but in near mint condition at purchase, engine is strong, easy to move seats down for storage and has a lot of nice creature comfort features. Its got decent power for a 4 cylinder and since I'm not towing, and this is primarily a people mover, the gas savings are perfect. Drives like a car, would recommend to anyone looking for a mid size suv that is reliable, fun to drive and very functional.

Highlander SPORT
By luvtoyota10 on 02/12/13 10:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my father's car and it is great. The sport suspension does make a difference, it handles better than my 2013 Highlanader. Theres more steering feel. It does well in the snow, haven't had any problems with it. Just doing maintenance on it. The JBL sound system is amazing! Some of my leather Jackets tend to stick to the leather on the seats and make a weird noise when I get out of the seat. It does everything you want it to. I like the huge backup camera as well.

Great!Highlander
By mr21991 on 04/24/11 11:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

all people writing a review on this issue about the toyota highlander you need to open your manual owners booklet before you complain regarding the problem of your highlander...first evry 5,000 miles you need to wheel rotation 2nd you need evry 12-18moths wheel alignment 3rd you need to retorque all under chassis evry 36 moths...very important to check your oil and coolant transmission fluid every week...God bless all

Mostly as expected but not everything
By pma022 on 02/21/11 10:41 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Own this SUV for nearly 2 years. Reliability is good. No issue so far. But there are quite a few rattling noises from dash,2nd and 3rd row seats. It's definitely not as serious as mechanical or electrical problem but sometimes is quite annoying. Dealer said it's from under seats and cannot fix due to safety issue. Another problem is the very weird tire size. They're top expensive. Change a set will charge $955 at Costco and $1000 at America Tire. Basically it's a comfortable and fast car but Toyota can make it better.

Great SUV!
By Tony the tester on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We love our Highlander I4 with convenience package. This car has all the features I need and nothing you don't need-perfect. We love the space and comfort, ride quality and general feel of this car. The assembly quality is first rate. It had defective water pump after one year but it is one of the first ones that they put together. In any case, it didn't stop in the middle of the road. The 4 cyl engine is great. It is quiet, and powerful enough to pull full load on our 1000 mile trip. It lacks a passing power a bit but it is a great cruiser and plenty of pep around town. Efficiency was as low as 19 mpg and as high as 29 mpg. Road feel is good but 6 spd transmission is too shift-happy but smooth.

Don't by Toyota
By Mike Steele on 08/29/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 20,000 km a Whirring sound came from the front right of the Highlander. 2 dealerships say it is unfixable and I quote : to give the vehicles strong gears the downside is at 80 km Toyotas will make a very annoying sound but YOU"LL just have to live with it because there is nothing we can do" end of quote. Unbelievable! The sound will drive you nuts and they cannot fix it,, they said it is in MOST all their vehicles and if they replace the problem which they agree there is, it will just come back because that is the design of th e gear box! Customers, I kid you not, $50,000 for a vehicle like this and even Toyota Canada gives me the Slough off !

Best in Class!
By Paul on 06/17/10 18:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drove and researched everything. Highlander is #1. The Honda Pilot doesn't handle well, the Pathfinder is way too cramped inside, and the Traverse and Acadia are over 40k with options, not worth $. The Highlander is so super quiet, the transmission is ultra smooth. 270 horses pull quickly and I can still get 25 mpg. Very comfortable driving position with nicely laid out high quality controls. Second row captains chairs are like traveling first class. Third row is cramped and only good for a quick trip. Toyota always was and still is one of best products on the road. Drive the Highlander and you will absolutely be sold.

Great SUV
By Great Vehicle on 06/14/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV the end of March 2010 and since then have put 23,000 miles on it. I travel for work and find this vehicle so much more comfortable and versatile than my 07 Chevy Impala LTZ. It gets great gas mileage; best I've ever gotten is 28 mpg, but usually average around 25 per tank. The back seat is extremely spacious, even for me measuring in at 6'5". I find the in dash information center to be very user friendly, even though it could have a bigger display. V6 acceleration is excellent for size and weight of vehicle. Handling is car-like with the sports trim level. Only major complaint is the lack of a compass for the price tag of this model.

Cannot go wrong with Highlander!
By Savvy Buyer on 05/04/10 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having researched extensively and test-driven Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Edge, and the new Equinox, I repeatedly returned to Highlander and bought one a few weeks ago. I cannot express how impressed I am with Highlander! The ride is extraordinarily comfortable, quite and smooth. The interior is extremely roomy, well-designed and functional. The second row is exceptional. If you need the third row it is there and not as a joke! If you do not use it just fold it and you have plenty of cargo room! I must also compliment the instant V6 power and above average fuel economy, which is almost the same as 2007 Passat I traded in! It is also very family friendly if you have children

4 cylinder worth consideration
By Anil on 04/12/10 08:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a pleasant experience owning 4 cylinder base Highlander 2009 model. The city mileage is 24 and highway 28 - could not have asked for better from mid-size SUV. I cruised at 70 while traveling from Boston to NY and never felt the vehicle does not have enough power. Dealers should inform the customers hybrid is not the only way to get decent fuel economy. Also, driving in snow was not bad either.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*