2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Base FW

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

2008 Toyota Highlander Base FWD
By Toyota Joe on

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went looking for a sensible SUV and found it. I didn't need 4WD in the area I live in nor do I have kids, let alone 5, so I opted out of the 3rd row seat. The V6 has all the power I need though torque steer is somewhat noticeable. I'm 6 foot, yet there's plenty of room. The center dash/console is so well laid out, I felt as if it was made for me. Steering position is good, feel is a little soft though. Braking is OK, a bit soft as well. Transmission is super smooth, but an extra gear would be nice for a bump up in fuel economy. You may have noticed my 8 rating for economy, I'll explain below.

The Snow button. I haven't a clue what it does, but I use it all the time. It feels likes it simply cuts power down. With a very light foot, tire pressure at 38, and Snow mode on, I get 22/28. The 28 was received after a 900 mile round trip at 65 MPH. At 55 MPH, I could get 30 MPG. Hybrid who?

The "S-Mode" shift feature is basically useless. You can't start out in second which would be great combined with snow mode, and while accelerating in higher gears, it just down-shifts like any other transmission. What's the point!? Also at this price, can I get an air temp and maybe a MPG readout?