Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Good Vehicle
By JM42

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So far everything has been good. Had some rail dust on the back gate but that is being taken care of. Does lack some features that are in higher-end vehicles but they're not too big of a deal. I have not really had any issues with sliding or driving in snow in SD. I just think some people should slow down. Very comfortable and smooth ride. All auto windows would be nice along with memory seating. A USB port would also be nice. In the summer we get about 22 mpg and winter is 18. 24 mpg highway. Do not like the cruise when going up hills or resuming and the speed is greater than 5 mph off. Kicks into low gear to catchup and that is annoying.

Heated seats. Roomy 2nd row. JBL stereo system. Display features. Rear cam.

Memory seats. All auto windows. USB port. Cooled counsel. Cooled seats. Split third row.

Looking to trade in
By pa driver

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyo tires are horrible! stopping in snow/ice is nearly impossible. the steering is a little hard to get use to while trying to stay straight on highway. it has plenty of power and smooth shifting. too many rattles in the dashboard that is driving me crazy, gets worse in the winter

Overall look. Leather option on the Sport, aux port for MP3 player, plenty of leg room in 2nd row, Dual front temp controls, rear temp controls. temp control is very steady(no need to adjust)

different option for tire size, only 2 manufacturers that have marginal reviews. 3rd row is tight, improve dashboard rattling.

best car ever
By 1run131

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best, most versatile vehicle I have ever owned I have had it for a year and am still excited about it. We took it florida this summer 2,500 mis. rode great plenty of room (more than my old Expedition) averaged 25mpg for the trip. Took it skiing great in the snow and icy roads. I average BTW 20-22mpg around town. Bought the base model because it has all the features I need included. Couldn't ask for a better vehicle. I recommend it for anyone who needs something that isn't afraid to step up to the challenge. HIGHLANDER does it.

MPG,the comfort level,the power

Go to 18" rims standard 17s to small 19s not enough tire options

Disappointed & Frightened
By Michele W

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I purchased my Highlander, I told the sales rep I needed a safe, dependable car for my 6 grandchildren who I taxi almost daily. In the snow, my brakes seem to lock the front wheels after a thumping noise. I have sailed through three intersections; did a 360 spin in a roundabout doing 20mph with an inch of snow on the ground; came within a hair of hitting a utility truck in a snow filled parking lot; and have spun around while turning a corner. I live in the northeast with snow from November to March. On 1/14/10 my dealer said, "Can't find a problem and -no- snow tires are not the answer." I'm afraid to have the grandchildren in the car and am now scared to drive in the snow.

Heated seats and dvd player for granchildren.

Find the problem with brakes (and/or tires that I've learned from your reviews) and fix the problem with snow driving.

tires and oil line
By gbrown1067

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

the tires on the sport model are horrible. Look at tire rack review. The are a accident waiting to happen. Why put out a awd with poor tires. Only two mfg makes them. There is a oil line to the valve train area that is accident waiting to happen after 45K miles.Look up toyota oil leaks. Blue tooth operation is horrible. You must program phone #'s into the car system

see above