2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great car!
By Tracey on 11/26/08 20:31 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The power is great! The car is very roomy, with great features, with the back seat able to be turned in to bucket seats. Great visibility all around the car, feels very safe. The car is very stable, with the increased size of the car this year!

Love our Highlander Limited
By bev on 11/25/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

traded a 2003 Toyota Camry with 85000 miles on it. The new Highlander is one of the best cars ive owned and love all the features. Toyota is number 1 to me.

Great vehicle to own and drive
By BillU on 11/23/08 21:57 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for about a year and replaced an 05 Pathfinder. This has more power, handles better and gets better fuel economy. The only thing I don't like is the hesitation on acceleration. I didn’t notice it much at first but now I realize that when I round a corner and push on the gas, it takes awhile before it responds. You need to be aware of this before you purchase. The other strange part was adding a towing package but not getting the hitch. I found an aftermarket that works great. This is one of the best all around vehicles I have ever owned.

Very Happy and the right size
By Bryan on 11/20/08 18:18 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Owned the Limited AWD for about 3 months. Gas mileage low 18.1 high 27.2. Average since purchase is 21.5. Excellent mileage on long trips. Like the size, not too big or too small and the step-in height is also very comfortable. Reminds me of the size of my old 1998 Explorer but nicer in every way. Engine louder during warmup, very quiet thereafter. Smooth ride, quiet interior, and good gas mileage for its size (mid-sized) were my top 3 requirements and it has lived up to my expectations thus far.

Very Happy With Purchase
By Jim S on 11/02/08 15:29 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've only been driving the Highlander for about a month, but so far I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed at how good the gas mileage is, especially considering how much power it has. Even better gas mileage than the 05 Highlander that I traded. I bought the 2 wheel drive model not only to save money, but also because its better on gas, and requires less maintenance than the 4 wheel drive model. My only real complaint is the 55 series 19" tires that come standard on the Limited model. The 19" wheels look great, but one good look at the Bridgestones tell you that they're not well suited for snow or ice. I've already purchased 4 Blizzaks and alloy wheels for the winter months.

No Buyer Remorse
By Dave on 10/31/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in 2007 Toyota Prius with 24,000 miles and purchased new 2008 Base Highlander with max out options. We got great gas mileage on Prius avg on 24,000 miles was 45 MPG. Great car just not the car I wanted to drive in the winter in CO. We have driven the Highlander only 3,279 miles 80% city 20% highway. Average 19.9 MPG. High of 25.6 in the mountains and highway and low of 17.7 in city. This a average 16 tanks of gas. That is 165 gal of gas on 3,279 miles driven or 19.9 MPG. I'm happy having much more extensive comfort and control on snow covered roads in the winter. (No Buyers Remorse.)

Best Car Ever Owned
By S-port U-tility on 10/31/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned everything from rice-cookers, german sedans, 911s and F350s and this 2008 Highlander is the best blend of utility, speed and comfort in any car I've driven. Needing 5000lb towing for smaller farm duties, grinding out daily one-hour commutes with speed and good gas mileage (18.8-21.0 depending on driving style) and great 2nd row passenger leg and head room (I'm 6-2) no one in the family is complaining. Bought the Base AWD. Added leather and tow hitch. Still almost too nice for utility work. Toyotas should hold up quality-wise. If it does, this one will be with me until one of us take a rest!

Drive it for yourself and see
By Happy Toyota Owner on 10/15/08 12:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It took a while for us to drive a bunch of the SUVs closely resembling the Highlander. Before test driving several vehicles I had already sold myself on an Acadia. After the test drive the obvious winners were the 2009 Pilot and Toyota Highlander. We had looked at the Highlander a couple of years back but it was smaller and the dash was just plain ugly. The new redesign and the plush drive just did us both in. The Pilot would have offered a little more room but the dash looks like its made out of cheap plastic, and unless you get the all black interior the two tone effect was not very appealing to us. We have a family of 4 so we can leave the third row down and use when needed.

Love it
By TC on 10/04/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota had it all with new style, kids love it (16, 14, and 9 years old), very Lexus feeling. Not perfect but does really well across the board, will hold its value.

Love Our Highlander Sport!
By Sally on 09/29/08 19:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We really enjoy driving our '08 Highlander. We are retired, so don't drive to work or school, & have very low mileage since we bought it after Thanksgiving 2007. It is so quiet you get up to speed fast! Response is great and shifting is very smooth. We got the Sport with 2-row seating, and love the generous cargo space in back with storage compartments below and tonneau cover above. Had no trouble getting a 37" LCD TV box into it with one 2nd row split seat down, and the other seat propping the TV upright for transporting.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.