2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Tires on factory Toyota
By Jeff H on 01/10/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Toyotas in the past and was very pleased. with the newer ones though I wonder? Runs great as all Toyotas, great acceleration and braking. The ride is stiff, may be that this replaced a Honda Odyssey (bad van). Seems to have more road noise than previous Toyota models. Overall at this point I would buy another Highlander.

Wonderful Except in Snow
By Bosco on 01/08/09 11:57 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this for my wife to replace a van looking to improve snow performance. THE VAN WAS FAR BETTER. That's right, AWD and horrible in the snow and ice. If this isn't enough you can't buy all season tires that are good in the snow due to the size of the tire!!! Your only option is to purchase one of two snow tires on the market at about $1K and deal with having to change twice annually. Only buy this vehicle where snow and ice is not an issue.

Excellent Family Car!
By Shawn on 01/07/09 10:52 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Highlander last year when we discovered we were expecting our 2nd child. We got an optioned out Sport 2WD, mainly because in Southern GA we don't need the 4WD, and could get almost all the features included in the Limited and a sportier suspension for less cost. After one year, I couldn't be happier. The ride is quiet and comfortable with plenty of room, visibility is great, plenty of power, and fuel economy for a midsize SUV is fantastic, we got 26 mpg on a trip to Florida last year. The backup camera is invaluable with pets and small children around (our son is 2). Do not regret this purchase one bit.

It's Just Awesome
By Sam on 01/06/09 14:07 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is an upgrade from my 2001 Honda Accord. I purchased my Highlander the day after New Year and i couldn't be more pleased. Bought it in NC and brought it to VA. I put the vehicle to test on Blue Ridge Parkway and gotta say that the Highlander handled the curves and the slopes gracefully. With the exception of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I am impressed with the highway mileage. At one particular stretch of 80 miles, I averaged 29.4 MPG. Unbelievable! The ride though not close to Lexus 350, still feels luxurious and safe. It sure rides like a sedan, but more comfortably.

Watch Out for Unexpected
By Disappointed on 01/05/09 18:07 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in Sept 08 after lots of comparison with Lexus, MDX, RDX, BMW, etc. Nice specs and good power. Watch out for the very poor handling in snow. I live in Northeast, and driven here 30+ years. The problem is with the tires on this vehicle. The AWD and traction control work harder than necessary.

Great SUV
By Thi on 12/18/08 16:29 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 Highlander Limited 4x4 with nav October 08. I already have a 05 HL and I’m very impressed. I test drove Mazda CX9, and Honda Pilot Touring, but 08 Highlander was the best of all. It feels like a car and very comfortable. Overall quality is excellent and it’s bigger than my 05 Highlander. I would recommend anyone 08 Highlander.

Excellent Buy
By GBS on 12/17/08 09:22 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Some well conceived refinements make this iteration of the Highlander darn close to perfect. A slight increase in size and improved exterior styling eliminate much of the stodginess of its ancestors. The standard 6-cyl engine is more than adequate for a vehicle this size. Like other Toyotas with this 269hp motor, mileage will vary GREATLY depending on how the individual drives the vehicle. The third-row seat has been made more usable with the capability to change the 2nd row's configuration. The base model is generally well appointed, with easy to use stereo and climate controls and cupholders everywhere. Seats are comfortable, but I covered the standard gray cloth with tailored seat covers.

Better than expected
By Frank on 12/13/08 23:03 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in 00' Sienna 130k mile, Comfortable ride handles great in the rain. Car grows on you the more you drive it. 3rd row is great for the kids. I wish they had split the sitting. 2nd row is spacious for adults. Cargo Mat and privacy screen are troublesome to put away with last minute seating.

Now is the time to buy it!
By fuerte20 on 12/13/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just replaced my '03 V8 4Runner Limited with an '08 Highlander Limited AWD. Smooth engine, great design; a lot more family features and creature comforts than the 4Runner. Very comfortable, steering and accelerator are softer than 4Runner, brakes are tighter. Nearly same storage capacity; rides more like a car. Worried about the beautifully shaped sheet metal doors in parking lots. Wheels are 19- inch; tires will be expensive to replace. Captains chairs in second row are neat; third row stows flat--don't even know it's there. Keyless entry/start/stop is awesome. The vehicle feels well made with heavy doors, plenty of safety features. Also tested '09 RAV4, which is a great little brother...

Very Impressed!
By new highlander owner on 12/01/08 15:03 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the 2008 Highlander - upsizing from a 1999 Honda CRV. Needed more space with new baby and 2 dogs. It is great! Very comfortable, gas mileage is decent - about the same as my Honda but this is a larger vehicle and a V6. The V6 is impressive. We took the Highlander to the mountains for the first time and hit a patch of ice unexpectedly and started to slide. It reacted quickly and self stabilized, with the added kinda distracting feature of warning noises.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$125 per month*