Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Unreliable - Terrible service
By Not Happy

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the main reasons I purchased this Highlander was Toyota's reputation for reliability. After about 11 months, the battery went dead. I had to tow it to Brent Brown Toyota in Orem, Utah. They evaluated the electrical system and replaced the battery under warranty, but charged me for the tow. 3 weeks later, the battery was dead again. Back to Brent Brown Toyota (which at this point I'd like to say has the worst service department on the planet). The service adviser was lousy, the service manager is an obnoxious, rude liar. I've had the car back 4 times now and they still haven't figured it out. I can't believe Toyota allows such lousy people at their dealerships. I'm done with Toyota

Favorite Features

If you can't drive because it won't start, nothing is favorite!

Suggested Improvements

The district manager for Toyota needs to be involved with the dealerships to get rid of owners like Brent Brown.

Good SUV, Bad Tires
By TopDawg

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car itself. Have 22K miles on it so far. Toyo A20 245/55R19 tires are nearing the end. Dealers in town know these tires are fast wearing but only want to sell the same or the equally bad Bridgestone Dueler HL. Toyota still putting A20 on 2010 models. Local dealer said I can change size but it may throw off performance. I see posts of near accidents related to tires on this site. Otherwise car handles quite nicely with VSC option and has lots of room and zoom (V6).

Favorite Features

Ride and performance. I had a 2002 I really liked too.

Suggested Improvements

Easier to use Nav system. MUCH better tires.

Almost a good car
By Last Chance

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1000 miles the engine developed a cold engine knock that Toyota would not fix. They said it was the new piston design, and not a problem. When I unplugged my GPS from the console power outlet the entire console top came off with the plug. Very cheaply made. I don't drive it very much anymore because I hate the cold engine knock, and I'm afraid of what else they might have compromised when they designed and produced this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the engine and interior quality so that it is on a par with previous Toyotas.

TIRE PROBLEMS
By Kevin McCloskey

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this fourwheel drive V-6 Sport for my wife who travels 60 miles per day. The car is great, the problem is with the original tires (toyo open country A20) wore out at 18000 miles. Replaced them with four brand new Bridgestone Duelers HL 400. ($900.00). These tires are equally as bad and down right dangerous in snow/wet conditions. I am now purchasing a set of winter tires for the car (bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (another $900.00). Sure the car is great. Good luck finding a tire for the car that works in the ice and snow. This is too bad for such a highly rated car. Is it the fault of the tires or Toyotas fault for choosing such an odd size tire/tire design fault. Good Luck w tires!

Favorite Features

Great car other than Tires.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy this car if you ever have snowy/icy conditions

oil leak.
By Tom

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered an oil leak coming from above the oil filter area. The dealer stated that it is a major casket and toyota issued a technical issue on this item. I understand this is not a normal occurrence but will require a major pull of the engine and replacing formed caskets...