2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great SUV!
By Great SUV! on 04/28/09 16:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Jeep grand Cherokee limited and now this SUV. Love the extra room and the 3rd row. Miss the leather seats...guess once you own a limited it's hard to give up all those extra options. So easy to get the kids in and out and it's not a mini van! Wish that you could down load a picture on the screen for the clock/back up camera.

Acceleration Catchup
By ERN on 04/09/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I round a corner at normal speed the acceleration hesitates and can't make up its mind if it wants to stay high or go down lower. It's very irritating. My Toyota dealership said it is a gas saving computer thing and the only way to correct it is to drive more aggressively around corners. I tried doing that and my wife put a stop to my NASCAR aspirations. Also, constant issues with the tires. I have owned Toyota's in the past and never had to add air every time I filled up.

Has It All for 7
By momof2inla on 03/30/09 23:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After careful research on midsize 7 passenger SUVs, I selected the Highlander. The captains chair option with stowaway middle seat is truly novel and well executed. I have two toddlers so the other vehicles in the category that would force you to take out one of the car seats from the second row to get access to the 3rd row just didn't work for me. It has all the bells and whistles I wanted like the rear camera, nav system and heated seats and is super well though out inside. It looks good outside too. I had a Lexus RX 300 before this that I loved, and this is comparable with the bonus of seating the parents and in-laws when they are in town.

poor tires on awd
By gary on 03/28/09 18:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Why buy an awd. The tires that come for it are junk. Only two mfg make them. The tires are very poor in the snow. See tire rack survey. Toyota told me to install chains. Why did I pay for the awd. Toyota blew it when it specked these tires. They should have gone to a size where there are more tires avail.

Leather Seats Streching
By egre on 02/26/09 08:59 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have about 1200 miles on my HI sport. Have noticed in rear seats, section of leather is looking stretched out. These two seats sat in app 2 hours a week if that. Not noticed in drivers seat that I am in day in and day out. Dealer saying it's not an issue. I would understand the 'worn' look after a year or two but after 8 weeks, c'mon! Am guessing the pieces of leather may be thinner than other pieced on the seat - I'm not giving in til I get some resolution - this is a 30K vehicle!

Great Vehicle
By Layne2008 on 02/16/09 21:37 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been great so far. The gas mileage is exactly what the sticker says. 16 city and 24 highway. I have averaged 20mpg since I purchased the car. Remember you are driving a car/suv that seats 6/7 people. This not a small vehicle do not expect 30 mpg? The Highlander is very roomy and the second row is great. The captains chairs are awesome. XM have the dealer do it or if you want to save $100 bucks buy the parts from the dealer, then take the parts to a stereo shop for installation. Just came out of a Sierra snow storm and the highlander performed well. AWD works well and the snow button softens your throttle inputs. Toyo A20s are wearing quickly. Had dealer make a note of this.

Great Car Fuel Economy a problem
By Justin D. on 02/15/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 2wd Limited in Atlanta in November 2008. Its a great car, interior well thought out with the right touches in all the right places. Ride is nice if not sporty. My only complaint is the following. My gas mileage for city driving is consistently around 15.5 to 16 significantly below the 18 Toyota promises. I use Costco gas, don't put much in the car, have tried to not acclerate very fast but this problem continues to persist. This mileage issue is a real disappointment.

2008 Toyota Highlander LTD 2WD
By KP on 02/14/09 04:06 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent fit and finish. Ride is comfortable, powerful quiet engine. Interior controls easy to reach and well laid out. Only options we chose were a power lift gate, JBL stereo system, and running boards. Mileage has averaged 17 city and 27 highway since we purchased it. Toyo OEM tires showed wear bars at 17,000. Replaced with 19" Hankook 80,000 mile tires and have had no problems.

Love it!
By kelly_lynne_2004 on 02/04/09 11:02 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. I am coming from a half ton pick up so of course the fuel mileage is way better!! I love how it handles and the storage under the cargo area. I enjoy how the car handles and is another great product from Toyota!!

The SUV that Has it All
By tregos on 01/24/09 14:16 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got my Highlander June 2008 and have test driven it for 11,000 miles in all weather conditions. I am very pleased with all of the vehicles functions. My only real complaint is that in very cold weather the vehicle needs to be warmed up before driving otherwise it makes a lot of noise and has a major loss of power. My Subaru Outback that I traded in never did that in any temperature weather. Other than that, the vehicle has power, comfort, reliability and fairly good fuel economy for a large vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.