2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Good SUV, Bad Tires
By TopDawg on 02/25/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car itself. Have 22K miles on it so far. Toyo A20 245/55R19 tires are nearing the end. Dealers in town know these tires are fast wearing but only want to sell the same or the equally bad Bridgestone Dueler HL. Toyota still putting A20 on 2010 models. Local dealer said I can change size but it may throw off performance. I see posts of near accidents related to tires on this site. Otherwise car handles quite nicely with VSC option and has lots of room and zoom (V6).

Almost a good car
By Last Chance on 02/22/10 17:49 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1000 miles the engine developed a cold engine knock that Toyota would not fix. They said it was the new piston design, and not a problem. When I unplugged my GPS from the console power outlet the entire console top came off with the plug. Very cheaply made. I don't drive it very much anymore because I hate the cold engine knock, and I'm afraid of what else they might have compromised when they designed and produced this vehicle.

TIRE PROBLEMS
By Kevin McCloskey on 02/15/10 14:39 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this fourwheel drive V-6 Sport for my wife who travels 60 miles per day. The car is great, the problem is with the original tires (toyo open country A20) wore out at 18000 miles. Replaced them with four brand new Bridgestone Duelers HL 400. ($900.00). These tires are equally as bad and down right dangerous in snow/wet conditions. I am now purchasing a set of winter tires for the car (bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (another $900.00). Sure the car is great. Good luck finding a tire for the car that works in the ice and snow. This is too bad for such a highly rated car. Is it the fault of the tires or Toyotas fault for choosing such an odd size tire/tire design fault. Good Luck w tires!

oil leak.
By Tom on 02/15/10 13:34 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered an oil leak coming from above the oil filter area. The dealer stated that it is a major casket and toyota issued a technical issue on this item. I understand this is not a normal occurrence but will require a major pull of the engine and replacing formed caskets...

Good Vehicle
By JM42 on 02/12/10 09:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So far everything has been good. Had some rail dust on the back gate but that is being taken care of. Does lack some features that are in higher-end vehicles but they're not too big of a deal. I have not really had any issues with sliding or driving in snow in SD. I just think some people should slow down. Very comfortable and smooth ride. All auto windows would be nice along with memory seating. A USB port would also be nice. In the summer we get about 22 mpg and winter is 18. 24 mpg highway. Do not like the cruise when going up hills or resuming and the speed is greater than 5 mph off. Kicks into low gear to catchup and that is annoying.

Looking to trade in
By pa driver on 02/11/10 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyo tires are horrible! stopping in snow/ice is nearly impossible. the steering is a little hard to get use to while trying to stay straight on highway. it has plenty of power and smooth shifting. too many rattles in the dashboard that is driving me crazy, gets worse in the winter

best car ever
By 1run131 on 02/11/10 06:01 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best, most versatile vehicle I have ever owned I have had it for a year and am still excited about it. We took it florida this summer 2,500 mis. rode great plenty of room (more than my old Expedition) averaged 25mpg for the trip. Took it skiing great in the snow and icy roads. I average BTW 20-22mpg around town. Bought the base model because it has all the features I need included. Couldn't ask for a better vehicle. I recommend it for anyone who needs something that isn't afraid to step up to the challenge. HIGHLANDER does it.

Disappointed & Frightened
By Michele W on 02/04/10 15:09 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I purchased my Highlander, I told the sales rep I needed a safe, dependable car for my 6 grandchildren who I taxi almost daily. In the snow, my brakes seem to lock the front wheels after a thumping noise. I have sailed through three intersections; did a 360 spin in a roundabout doing 20mph with an inch of snow on the ground; came within a hair of hitting a utility truck in a snow filled parking lot; and have spun around while turning a corner. I live in the northeast with snow from November to March. On 1/14/10 my dealer said, "Can't find a problem and -no- snow tires are not the answer." I'm afraid to have the grandchildren in the car and am now scared to drive in the snow.

tires and oil line
By gbrown1067 on 01/31/10 22:31 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

the tires on the sport model are horrible. Look at tire rack review. The are a accident waiting to happen. Why put out a awd with poor tires. Only two mfg makes them. There is a oil line to the valve train area that is accident waiting to happen after 45K miles.Look up toyota oil leaks. Blue tooth operation is horrible. You must program phone #'s into the car system

Love the Highlander
By Reese on 01/23/10 20:22 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2008 Toyota Highlander. Yes, there are some issues in the snow with sliding, but this issue is not the vehicle, but rather the tires available for the Limited model's 19 inch wheels. Only 2 manufacturers make good tires for this vehicle, and with a lower profile tire, you won't have the traction you would have from a 17 inch or smaller wheel. The ride and gas mileage (23mpg avg.) are great. Some rattling noises from the dashboard in the cold when hitting bumps. Overall I'm very pleased with this vehicle. I would recommend buying this vehicle if you want a well equipped, dependable, reliable, quality suv without the large price tag. Toyota has succeeded again.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.