Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

The problem child in my driveway
By keewee

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2008 Highlander started making a severe sparkknock noise upon cold start. A trip to the dealer and they could not find anything. At 61000 miles the noise is still there and the check engine light comes on code P0017. Trip to dealer and they replace the spool valves for the VVT. problem still there. Dealer pulls engine replaces 4 cams, timing gears, and cam holders. Get car back still making noise. 2 weeks later ck eng lamp on P0017, along with p0301,303,305, and 300. Dealer said it was old codes. I knew better. dealer clears codes. Lamp on again this time p0017 & p0018. I called Toyota customer service. Dealer tells ,e that they cleaned the top eng internal problem has not ret now 85k

Favorite Features

The original brake pads lasted 80K before I replaced them.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota has had problems with te 3.5 VVTi system this is noted by TSBs. The dealer that I purchased the car from did not care that I had a problem. They got a real caring attitude when they got a phone call from Toyota. I know that companies are in business to make money, but why do they hide issues from the public. If there is a problem, fix it. The bill for the repairs was covered by an extended warrenty from Toyota, but the bill was in excess of 5K$. Toyota should have replaced the engine with a new one. Probably would have saved repeat trips to the dealer, and would have made me happier an have more piece of mind as a Toyota customer. Probably should have bought a FORD

DEATHTRAP on Wheels 2008
By fredphelps2007

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin.... Recall notices... have received enough to kill an entire tree! Good luck in Snow/Ice, just aim for something soft... AWD my @$$, a rear wheel drive taxi cab with two flat tires has better snow performance than this "SUV"! Tire Pressure Issues... every 2-3 weeks the light comes on and at least one of the four tires is low (@24-26psi) For the first time in my life I pray for someone to steal my car and park it on the railroad tracks! It is disgraceful to call this thing a Toyota!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

TNT, High Speed Train, Hurricane or natural disaster... you will not be happy with the trade in.

Tires, Brakes, Oxygen Sensor Issues
By 4redwings

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tires were shot at 30,000 miles. Odd size makes replacement expensive. Rear brake pads shot at 30,000 miles (grinding heard on LR rotor). Lots of life left on the front pads, so what's up with that? Biggest disappointment was at 30,000 miles and 3.5 years both oxygen sensors on right exhaust went out at the same time. Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2 to be exact. $700 repair. I like the car but the reliability is coming into question for us.

nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost. Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine. What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter. My old van didn't rattle like this! It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem. Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside. Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now. What next?

Favorite Features

Roomy leg and foot room in driver and passenger sides, and rear seat. (what sold me on this SUV over others) Better quality interior than Honda, Ford, others... Decent gas mileage in it's class for the money. Toyota quality and reputation. (which I'm now questioning...) Good size seats - Honda's are too narrow, and so are others in this class, or too low to the floor. Height of truck is just right for me for loading groceries, and has enough room for lots of luggage for 2 on long trips. Fold down second row seats offer extra space for more luggage, Christmas shopping, or awkward or long items.

Suggested Improvements

Dash rattles are Numerous! They seem to go away during the summer months, and come back in October. (Hint: run your dash heater on high for 10 minutes or so - this helps to warm up the dash to reduce the rattles most of the time) Back seat has started to rattle now. Radio is adequate, but the bass is terrible! Muffled and annoying, we turn it down as far as possible. Air seems to leak out the dash vents when running heater on floor only. Hits me right in the eyes and dries out my contacts. I have to drive with the visor down on long trips in the winter . Can be hard to see when backing up. My van had more visibility. And please make passenger seat with power seat controls standard!

Is OK ..Just Ok
By pointswest

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was a replacement to years of minivans.. I was surprised that reliability has not been as good as I expected from what I was told of Toyota ( good marketing I guess),and some repair items under warranty required discussion elevated to dealer manager before issue was resolved. To the question , Will I buy another Toyota ? probably not

Favorite Features

seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

reliability ,