Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2008 Highlander Engine Problems
By abecker

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2008 Highlander has problematic engine. Oil sludge buildup, despite routine oil changes, caused damage and needed engine replacement at 80+k miles. Would not every buy Toyota again.

2008 and newer highlander V6 engine issues
By gobubba

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All V6 2008 and newer highlanders will develop piston slap according to the dealer and factory rep I talked to. It causes the engine to sound like a diesel for the first 10minutes of driving. The dealership could not fix the issue and bought our vehicle back. I'm writing this to help educate people about this and hopefully save someone from making the same mistake I did, purchasing a certified highlander....

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up piston/cylinder wall clearance tolerances so pistons don't "slap" when they are cold.

Good Choice
By whasp18

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching a "family" vehicle purchase for over two months, I eventually decided on a used 2008 Toyota Highlander, 7 passenger - FWD V6. I test drove all the 2012 Dodge, Chevy, Ford alternatives. I decided on a used Highlander for the price point & TCO. No buyers remorse currently. On my first long trip I decided to test out MPG's. Half the trip I drove interstate, 75-80 MPH; MPG were between 20-21, I was disappointed. On my return trip I took an alternate route & drove 60-70 MPH; MPG were between 28-29, I was impressed. I chose a FWD in anticipation of better MPG. Power and performance of the V6 engine is great. If you can adjust your driving style, you can get 2012 MPG in a 2008.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort and engine power are the most impressive. My main focus when deciding on a 2008 highlander were core vehicle capabilities; Performance, Comfort/Feel, Passenger capacity. I could drive this vehicle all day and not get uncomfortable in it. The Sport model has a smooth but stiff rid, I believe a lot of the ride will depend on the tire. The features available in the 2008 model are all relevant and still make it a competitive choice to any 2012 alternatives available.

2008 HIGHLANDER AWD V6
By tomgtr1

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I agree as to the above comments regarding the tires. Toyota should be ashamed to place such cheap dunlop tires. I have replaced them after 30k with Michellin cross terrain , huge improvement in handling. The truck sticks to the road like crazy glue. Also , the sqeak from the dashboard is getting on my nerves. Other then that love the vehicle. It is very family oriented , the 3rd raw came in handy. (optional) So far 45k.

Favorite Features

The functionality as a family vehicle is great. Plenty of room , and storage for gadgets or drinks. Installed backup camera and love it. Noticed i get a bit more mileage with BP invigorate. Checked few times and i do about 320 on a tank. This is v6 AWD. My maxima 98 does exactly just that on a tank. Not bad for this size vehicle. Overall i am very pleased.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure what Toyota thought putting these type of tires on but they were horrible. Only lasted until 30k. Also ,please step up to the plate and imrove the sqeak issue with the dashboard, i understand i am not the only one. Other then that I love it. Smooth ride.

water pump issues and tires
By kenbowls

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

had 30,000 miles and had to replace the tires. at 52,000, had to replace the water pump. otherwise, good value and ride. gas mileage could be a little better, 19 city, 24 highway. lots of room and very consumer friendly.

Favorite Features

ride and comfort

Suggested Improvements

better backup camera and with sensors.