2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great Value - except Tires
By B Whitcomb on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2008, now have 50,000 without any mechanical problems. Could not have better reliability. Performance is outstanding even towing a boat (16 MPG) I have never gotten less than 19 MPG in town and up to 26 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70+ MPH. Original tires very poor replaced at 33,000 with Briggestone, so far so good. OEM tires were worthless day "1" with hydroplaning the rule not the exception. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. My only problem with the vehicle is my own doing. I tow a 4000 LB boat. It tows with great stability at 16 MPG. The problem is getting up the wet boat ramp with FWD. If you tow opt for the AWD

Research resarch, drive it
By Dave on 08/02/10 07:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 33,000. Runs great no problem finding tires. Had to search a little but found 10 brands that make that size. Rides and handles like a car. My wife is disabled and has little to no trouble getting in and out. Only real grip is not having a hatch release up front.

Dissapointment in entire toyota nation
By AKsecurity7035 on 06/27/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident in Toyota Vehicles, starting from my 98 Camry all the way to my 05 Highlander and Toyota managed to completely destroy my confidence and dedication with my current 08 Highlander Sport. The car has a lot of defects; I don’t even know where to begin! Engine’s horse power doesn’t fit car’s handling and suspension, brakes are so soft that you have to power press brake pedal, dash board constantly makes cracking noises that can’t be fixed, JBL audio system has a lack of engineering all of speakers have been blown a couple of times without any explanation, Dealer is not able to find the problem. Wheel size of sport model only fits Toyo tires

Highlander good on ugly roads
By sparky on 06/10/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are happy with the highlander. 4 wheel drive is great in mud and snow/ice. We travel 30% on gravel roads. Lots of power and reasonably good fuel mileage 10 to 11 L/100 km hwy.

Great SUV
By fred on 05/17/10 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

soccer mom car carrying 2 of our kids & up to 3 others, has performed well in town. family vacation Denver to Southern California demonstrated excellent snow performance on non- stock tires (Dayton) which came with our 2nd hand purchase, we were on I-70 in a heavy Spring snow storm which closed the highway - we took a side road & re-joined without any drama. average 18 mpg in town, 22 highway.

Tire size for replacement HUGE problem
By Julie on 04/29/10 10:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When considering this vehicle, don't overlook the cost of replacing the tires! The OEM tires do not hold up, even after proper rotation/balance care. At 33,000 I must replace the tires + there are only 3 tires that exist for this make/model! And two of those rated really low (poor handling, fast wear), which means the remaining choice is extremely hard to find + very expensive. Tires aside, my mileage is 17.5-22 (burbs vs. highway). ok, not great. Cabin noise is quiet, handle, fit + finish is a Toyota ... great! Next car purchase, I will always look at tire size + availability.

safety should come first
By bob on 04/26/10 22:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My two year old V6 awd sport model Highlander with 30k HIGHWAY miles and now I'm told I need new tires? I think a car costing over 38k plus would use a better and safer tire? Toyota states safety, well with these cheap TOYO tires they use I say they might want to revisit the tires they use on the Highlander. In March during our nasty rain storms here in MA. I hit a puddle and lost control on the highway did what i call a 160 even with AWD and traction on. I think the tires are failing and so soon. I love everything about this suv, and being my fourth SUV but my first Toyota. I'll be going back to my all american SUV where they use better and safer tires that get's more than 30K out of the

Tires Revisited
By Joe on 03/30/10 12:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As noted in my January review, I replaced the snow-scary Toyo Open Country A20 tires with Yokohama 235- 55x19 Parada Spec X tires. Had to go marginally smaller than factory 245- 55x19s in order to avoid either Toyo or Bridgestone (equally bad in snow). These two are currently ONLY 245-55x19 sizes on the market. Yokos transformed winter traction from truly scary to truly amazing. Smooth, quiet, handle better too. Perhaps not as well balanced...I will have balance rechecked soon. Tread wear an unknown at this point, but I would have traded vehicle if snow traction had not improved. Can't believe Toyota still specs these tires in '10, but maybe other recalls have occupied all of their time!

Incredible Reliability Again
By cindy h on 03/18/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, the first Highlander that I have owned. Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles. I've never had an issue mechanical or safety related with any Toyota I've owned..period. This 08 Highlander is not only comfortable but has great flexibility to handle the demands of a family of five with out being huge.

Unreliable - Terrible service
By Not Happy on 03/05/10 10:28 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the main reasons I purchased this Highlander was Toyota's reputation for reliability. After about 11 months, the battery went dead. I had to tow it to Brent Brown Toyota in Orem, Utah. They evaluated the electrical system and replaced the battery under warranty, but charged me for the tow. 3 weeks later, the battery was dead again. Back to Brent Brown Toyota (which at this point I'd like to say has the worst service department on the planet). The service adviser was lousy, the service manager is an obnoxious, rude liar. I've had the car back 4 times now and they still haven't figured it out. I can't believe Toyota allows such lousy people at their dealerships. I'm done with Toyota

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$125 per month*