Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Good choice.
By Brett

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander about 3 months ago. Previous to this I drove a BMW X5 and wanted to get something with better fuel economy. I always liked Toyotas but did not like the prevous Highlander. When the redesigned Highlander came out I figured the time was right to get one. My biggest disappointment was the navigation system. First the way it is packaged becomes an expensive option as you have to get the rear seat entertainment system with it. Second, you can only put information in it when the car is stopped which really makes using it aggravating. Third, it is a complicated system and fails to find a number of streets that it should. The system in my wife's Honda is much better.

Interior design, roominess inside, quality of materials, relative fuel economy.

Navigation system. The fuel tank is too small (@ 16 gallons) which means you are always refueling. Third row seating needs to be split.

Electronic problems
By Oliver

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a Toyota for it's reliability. My wife has been owning Toyotas for 20 years and they all seem reliable. I didn't really fell in love with Toyota but loved the 2008 Highlander when I first saw it on the parking lot, test drove it and bought it. That was the summer of 2007 and all has been fine till the car turned 8 months old. Now the radio doesn't change volume or doesn't turn on at all in 60% of the cases. When driving away from a stall or at the lights the traction control indicator light blinks and the car doesn't move for 5 to 10 seconds, embarrassing when the light turns green. And the dash on the passenger's side tweaks very very loud.

Very silent and comfortable, more than enough power.

Give the cargo space back when not obtaining for a third row seat. Now it's just used as a compartment.

Long Live the Highlander!
By doubleo

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Compared the 08 Highlander Limited with every SUV on the market, and overall it was the hands down winner. Awesome looks, excellent power, cavernous interior (a real third row seat for two 6'4" adults), best overall MPG for comparable SUVs, and an awesome vehicle to drive. This is my first SUV and I may never drive a car again! I just keep looking for reasons to get in it and drive.

A real third row seat for adults; acceleration and handling; entertainment system for kids; navigation system; blue tooth; rear power door; 2nd row seating options; smart key system; automatic rear climate control; backup camera; windows for third row viewing; and many others !!

Memory seating for two drivers; better designed storage console in front; extra 3-5 MPG; hard to judge distance in front of vehicle (can it be fixed ?); need body side moulding (I couldn't get it and Toyota wasn't/isn't making it); make black interior available on the top-end Highlander (Limited).

08 Highlander
By TBL

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the limited without the awd option; interior quality & comfort excellent; performance good; gas mileage has been averaging over 21 mpg in town - - more on the highway; so far I'm very satisfied; great value for the money; have owned Toyotas before and also have a 2006 Tacoma; have found them to be very reliable.

Comfort and quiteness of ride; relatively good gas mileage for an SUV; good cargo room and very easy ingress and egress.

Get rid of the orange letters and numbers on the radio and clock which are very hard to see during the day and impossible to see while wearing sunglasses; go to bright white.

Love it!
By tina

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I traded in our '03 Accord to get the Highlander. I'm so happy with the decision because it is so roomy but drives like a car. We spoiled ourselves and got the car fully loaded... love it! We live in San Diego but bought the car in Orange County, the one hour and half drive was worth it...the gas barely went down.

Navigation, heated seats, sun/moonroof, aux for my iPod, the color... pearl blizzard white, backup camera, 3rd row seating, and smart key.

none.