Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2008 Highlander Limited
By Jim

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Highlander 2008 is a great car. I am averaging 19.2 MPG around town. Have had no problems with the vehicle. I definitely would recommend this vehicle to anyone. Especially a full size SUV with 19.2 MPG around town.

MPG and Toyota dependability.

Love it!
By teamtodd

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a loaded '08 Sport, minus leather, and we just can't drive it enough! It is so smooth and quiet; feels like you are gliding. Our first trip we averaged 27.3 on the road and in the city we are averaging 21.2. Overall we are very pleased with our new purchase.

Back up camera, blue tooth, information screen

More cargo room

Long Ride Comfort
By Tregos

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my high mileage Subaru Outback for the new 2008 Highlander Limited. I wanted to get back into something with more room. I researched for 6 months before deciding that the Highlander was the best crossover SUV. I chose the Highlander over the Subaru Tribeca, my second choice SUV, because of gas mileage and the larger gas tank in the Highlander. I've been driving the Highlander for over a week and must say that the ride is smooth and quiet and it is very comfortable. So far I have absolutely no complaints. The vehicle has been averaging 23/24 MPG on the highway and 15/17 in the city. Not too bad for a large vehicle with 4 wheel drive.

Interior, power rear hatch, stereo.

Steering could be slightly tighter; better fuel mileage.

Good choice.
By Brett

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander about 3 months ago. Previous to this I drove a BMW X5 and wanted to get something with better fuel economy. I always liked Toyotas but did not like the prevous Highlander. When the redesigned Highlander came out I figured the time was right to get one. My biggest disappointment was the navigation system. First the way it is packaged becomes an expensive option as you have to get the rear seat entertainment system with it. Second, you can only put information in it when the car is stopped which really makes using it aggravating. Third, it is a complicated system and fails to find a number of streets that it should. The system in my wife's Honda is much better.

Interior design, roominess inside, quality of materials, relative fuel economy.

Navigation system. The fuel tank is too small (@ 16 gallons) which means you are always refueling. Third row seating needs to be split.

Electronic problems
By Oliver

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a Toyota for it's reliability. My wife has been owning Toyotas for 20 years and they all seem reliable. I didn't really fell in love with Toyota but loved the 2008 Highlander when I first saw it on the parking lot, test drove it and bought it. That was the summer of 2007 and all has been fine till the car turned 8 months old. Now the radio doesn't change volume or doesn't turn on at all in 60% of the cases. When driving away from a stall or at the lights the traction control indicator light blinks and the car doesn't move for 5 to 10 seconds, embarrassing when the light turns green. And the dash on the passenger's side tweaks very very loud.

Very silent and comfortable, more than enough power.

Give the cargo space back when not obtaining for a third row seat. Now it's just used as a compartment.