Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love my highlander
By Mary

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my highlander 8 mos. and would buy another one in a minute! Did a lot of research, drove several cars within in all major brands. This was my #1 choice. It has been great all the way around - very comfortable, good mileage (24 mpg hwy)and fits our family of 4 great. No regrets - two thumbs up!

Most comfortable seat of about a dozen different brands I tried. Gas mileage is very competitive for size vehicle.

My only complaint is the transmission does not down-shift smoothly unless you come to a complete or near complete stop. Most noticeable when turning a corner or in a parking lot.

2008 Toyota Highlander Base FWD
By Toyota Joe

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went looking for a sensible SUV and found it. I didn't need 4WD in the area I live in nor do I have kids, let alone 5, so I opted out of the 3rd row seat. The V6 has all the power I need though torque steer is somewhat noticeable. I'm 6 foot, yet there's plenty of room. The center dash/console is so well laid out, I felt as if it was made for me. Steering position is good, feel is a little soft though. Braking is OK, a bit soft as well. Transmission is super smooth, but an extra gear would be nice for a bump up in fuel economy. You may have noticed my 8 rating for economy, I'll explain below.

The Snow button. I haven't a clue what it does, but I use it all the time. It feels likes it simply cuts power down. With a very light foot, tire pressure at 38, and Snow mode on, I get 22/28. The 28 was received after a 900 mile round trip at 65 MPH. At 55 MPH, I could get 30 MPG. Hybrid who?

The "S-Mode" shift feature is basically useless. You can't start out in second which would be great combined with snow mode, and while accelerating in higher gears, it just down-shifts like any other transmission. What's the point!? Also at this price, can I get an air temp and maybe a MPG readout?

Great SUV
By MJC II

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my 03 Highlander which was a great vehicle but the improvements made to the 08 blow the 03 out of the water. The 08 has fantastic leg room (both front & back seats), very comfortable bucket seats, a smooth ride & more than enough power with the V6, 270-hp. The overall redesign of 08 has added some great sight lines & a bit of masculinity.

Great ride, great looking & Toyota reliability.

Lose the oversized knobs for the radio & heating/cooling controls.

Replacement tires are hard to find
By D.J.

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Highlander Limited 4WD over 4 months ago and it is an excellent SUV. The only thing that we have problem is that this model is equipped with Toyo Open Country A 20 P245/55R19 103S tires which are almost impossible to find. We got two flat tires while parked at a garage a few weeks ago - one tire is repairable and the other one isn't since the nail is near the sidewall. No tire center has this specific tire in stock. One tire center quoted us $230 per tire while the dealer quoted us $300. Other than that, the whole family loves this new SUV.

Air conditioning, backup camera, keyless ignition, power liftgate, captain seats (second row).

Offer parking sensors and memory seats as options.

2008 Toyota Highlander Review
By wrwilkins

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced our 2003 Honda CRV with the Highlander Sport AWD to gain the third seat for hauling grandkids. Has been fun to drive, although it seems large in restricted parking areas. Interior comfortable & well appointed. Once the third seat is up there is no storage space. We did have to have one of the tires replaced when it picked up a screw in the sidewall. Because of its unusual size there were limited sources and it cost us $225 to replace it.

Smooth ride, comfortable interior.

More storage behind the third seat. Split the third seat for when you're only carrying one child back there.