Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Drives like a dream
By B & R

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Highlander on Memorial Day weekend. Our previous car was a Chevy Tahoe which sat in our driveway most of the time being such a gas guzzler. We tried the Honda Pilot 2008 (we have a 2000 civic) & found it didn't compare with the Highlander. We needed the towing capacity plus smooth traveling ride & storage. We have the lighted running boards which are wonderful. I have short legs & love the lighting at nite to get into the car. The console in front & the lighted panel have all the bells & whistles you need when on the road. WE JUST LOVE THE CAR!

The roominess of the interior. Lots of leg room for tall people. Lighted control panel. Seats are very comfortable. Front seat console a dream. Gas mileage is a real plus.

There is a blind spot by the left rear view mirror which is really a problem for me since I am only 5'3". When turning left I seem to come to close to the medians. There needs to be a hook or something provided for trash bag in the front seat.

Traded X3 for Highlander
By DJ

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2005 BMW X3 for 2008 Highlander sport. BMW just don't offer value for the money anymore on the new X3. Family really likes the Toyota. Softer drive but much more comfortable on Quebec bumpy road. Braking is good and strong with some front dive. Plenty of room for family of 4 with dog. Kids love the captain seat in 2nd row.

Engine acceleration, roomy, 19 inch wheels, back-up camera, interior appearance, leather quality, 2nd row reclining capt's seats, rear lift glass, great visibility, looks like an SUV/truck (not like Mazda CX), easy access in/out, information screen,

Real drivers foot rest, lift gate is heavy to close, arm rest for drivers left arm is to far from steering wheel and not the same hight as the right arm rest, interior plastic looks fragile to scratches, fuel economy just ok, depth of cargo area when cargo cover deployed, seat side support,

A Keeper
By bill

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Highlander to have a reliable, economical to drive, and comfortable vehicle for long trips and for around town. It does it all. Quiet smooth ride, 21mpg around town, 26mpg Interstate. Power enough to pull my pontoon boat, yet easy to handle. Everyone remarks on how quiet the ride is, and the JBL stereo with sateite sounds great.

Very good gas mileage while still having lots of power to tow (how did they do that?). Very quiet and very comfortable ride. Navigation system, power lift rear door, 4 captains chairs. Very safe feeling with air bags all around, good cabin space, very deep dash board, and lots of head room.

Like other reviewers I had a flat tire that required buying a $270 new tire. First flat in 10 years. Navigation tricky to use. "Snow" and "Hill" buttons lie flat on center console; are activated when my dogs (Shih Tzus) step on them. Power outlets for cell phone are inconveniently paced.

Another great Toyota!
By Chicagoland area

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Spent 3 months researching all the SUVs. Don't know why I bothered when Toyota builds the best out there! No complaints, not even about the 3rd row head rest or the lack of memory seats. 3rd row head rest are always down and my wife is the only one that drives the car. I love the European style shifting. It adds a lot of fun to the drive when you want to drive the back roads. I didn't expect any luggage space with a 3rd row for this size of SUV but you have some. Engine and handling remind me of my 99 Lexus ES300. My 5th Toyota and not my last one!

The European style shifting. If you get bored with the automatic then you you have the option of the manual shifting sans a clutch pedal

Love my highlander
By Mary

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my highlander 8 mos. and would buy another one in a minute! Did a lot of research, drove several cars within in all major brands. This was my #1 choice. It has been great all the way around - very comfortable, good mileage (24 mpg hwy)and fits our family of 4 great. No regrets - two thumbs up!

Most comfortable seat of about a dozen different brands I tried. Gas mileage is very competitive for size vehicle.

My only complaint is the transmission does not down-shift smoothly unless you come to a complete or near complete stop. Most noticeable when turning a corner or in a parking lot.