Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Happy Highlander Owner
By Mike

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in a 2006 Lexus GS 300 for the 2008 Highlander Sport in January of 2008. The Highlander rides like a high end luxury sedan but offers much more room in the interior and a very comfortable ride. I like the new exterior design that just came out. We never gave the Highlander a second look until the new 2008 style. The Highlander is my first Toyota purchase and I will likely buy another again.

The Highlander provides you with a smooth ride much like a sedan, very roomy! Lots of storage in rear for large items.

Rear hatch back door very heavy and hard to close. The rear door should also have access with a key. I would like to have a little more leg room for the driver, however, lots of leg room for adults in the rear.

Love my new Highlander Limited
By Barry

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I finally turned in my gas guzzler Lexus LX 470 SUV. This Highlander has all of the features I required except the nav. (I did not get the nav as I plan on buying my own to share in my household). The gas mileage is great at 20 MPG for my use (half city, half highway). Very smooth ride, JBL sounds great. Like the "smart key" push button start, homelink, heated seats, power rear door, lots of room. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Smart key, JBL stereo, center console choice, high MPG for size, looks.

Need regular folding armrest for front seats just like 2nd row seats. Bigger screen for backup camera.

Perfect for us!
By Bill

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As we are only a family of three, unless you count the dogs we tried to fit into a new RAV4. At 6'3"+ it just wasn't happening so we decided to step up a level and are we ever glad we did. As soon as I stepped in and sat down I knew it was just a matter of convincing my wife. That didn't take long either because I let her drive it first. In the short period of time we have had it we have shuttled up to 7 people around, surprisingly comfortably and they have all commented about both the ride and the quiet. I suffer from back problems and the driver's seat seems to sense that, allowing multiple adjustments and the relaxation of variable heat. What a wonderful addition to the family! Try it!

Interior space, smooth and quiet ride, mix of power and decent mileage (20-25 mpg so far), ability to easily change seating configuration. I really do like the auto shifter as it allow you the feeling of more control. The seats are very comfortable and everything seems to work just the way it should.

Memory seat (I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'5"). Auto power off if interior lighting or accessories are left on. Even with the Limited a lot of things are extras which equates to a lot more money.

Great All-Purpose SUV
By Frank

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Highlander only a week but can tell already I'm going to love it. Interior appointments and ergonomics are superb. Transmission is smooth however the downshifting at around 40MPH is a little noticeable. Braking fine. This car is quiet, by far the quietest SUV I tested. Ride is outstanding. Note this is not a sports car however. Seats are very comfortable. This is going to be fabulous family trip car. Can't wait for our first big trip. I wanted this car be be everything and it is: the comfy ride of a sedan, cargo space of a van, and style. Toyota has done it again. On my first gas up I got 22.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not bad. Great car - what I have always wanted!

Quiet, very subdued road noise, simple logical instrument display; comfortable seats; ergonomics;

Transmission hesitates slightly at 40-45 MPH; tighten up suspension. car leans when cornering; side mirrors stick out too far; front pillars block view slightly. Nothing serious though. The car is great.

Initial Review
By Zaab

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a Limited with JBL, auto rear air, power back door, tow, spoiler, heated seats. Traded in a Honda Minivan as the kids are a bit older. This is a very comfortable ride with respectable power for what it is. The ride is a little soft but expected for what we were considering which is a vehicle to drive around town on surface roads doing errands. Very nice interior with many features that are in higher end vehicles. Front seats are very roomy and there is a ton of room in the 2nd row both in the large seats and large amount of legroom. Third seat is similar to other vehicles in this class. Cargo room with the third seat up is small as a large grocery trip will tax the space.

High end features of the car. Walk through capability to 3rd row (and stow away seat) Very roomy 2nd row. Well laid out dash and audio/air controls. You do not have to search around the controls and they are very intuitive

As said above, no split third row seat and no power in center console. Front passenger seat should have more controls for this trim.