2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Good Choice
By whasp18 on 03/31/12 21:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching a "family" vehicle purchase for over two months, I eventually decided on a used 2008 Toyota Highlander, 7 passenger - FWD V6. I test drove all the 2012 Dodge, Chevy, Ford alternatives. I decided on a used Highlander for the price point & TCO. No buyers remorse currently. On my first long trip I decided to test out MPG's. Half the trip I drove interstate, 75-80 MPH; MPG were between 20-21, I was disappointed. On my return trip I took an alternate route & drove 60-70 MPH; MPG were between 28-29, I was impressed. I chose a FWD in anticipation of better MPG. Power and performance of the V6 engine is great. If you can adjust your driving style, you can get 2012 MPG in a 2008.

2008 HIGHLANDER AWD V6
By tomgtr1 on 03/08/12 19:43 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I agree as to the above comments regarding the tires. Toyota should be ashamed to place such cheap dunlop tires. I have replaced them after 30k with Michellin cross terrain , huge improvement in handling. The truck sticks to the road like crazy glue. Also , the sqeak from the dashboard is getting on my nerves. Other then that love the vehicle. It is very family oriented , the 3rd raw came in handy. (optional) So far 45k.

water pump issues and tires
By kenbowls on 02/21/12 12:16 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

had 30,000 miles and had to replace the tires. at 52,000, had to replace the water pump. otherwise, good value and ride. gas mileage could be a little better, 19 city, 24 highway. lots of room and very consumer friendly.

The problem child in my driveway
By keewee on 01/29/12 18:00 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2008 Highlander started making a severe sparkknock noise upon cold start. A trip to the dealer and they could not find anything. At 61000 miles the noise is still there and the check engine light comes on code P0017. Trip to dealer and they replace the spool valves for the VVT. problem still there. Dealer pulls engine replaces 4 cams, timing gears, and cam holders. Get car back still making noise. 2 weeks later ck eng lamp on P0017, along with p0301,303,305, and 300. Dealer said it was old codes. I knew better. dealer clears codes. Lamp on again this time p0017 & p0018. I called Toyota customer service. Dealer tells ,e that they cleaned the top eng internal problem has not ret now 85k

DEATHTRAP on Wheels 2008
By fredphelps2007 on 01/19/12 22:30 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin.... Recall notices... have received enough to kill an entire tree! Good luck in Snow/Ice, just aim for something soft... AWD my @$$, a rear wheel drive taxi cab with two flat tires has better snow performance than this "SUV"! Tire Pressure Issues... every 2-3 weeks the light comes on and at least one of the four tires is low (@24-26psi) For the first time in my life I pray for someone to steal my car and park it on the railroad tracks! It is disgraceful to call this thing a Toyota!

Tires, Brakes, Oxygen Sensor Issues
By 4redwings on 12/22/11 10:03 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tires were shot at 30,000 miles. Odd size makes replacement expensive. Rear brake pads shot at 30,000 miles (grinding heard on LR rotor). Lots of life left on the front pads, so what's up with that? Biggest disappointment was at 30,000 miles and 3.5 years both oxygen sensors on right exhaust went out at the same time. Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2 to be exact. $700 repair. I like the car but the reliability is coming into question for us.

nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl on 12/07/11 11:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost. Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine. What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter. My old van didn't rattle like this! It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem. Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside. Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now. What next?

Is OK ..Just Ok
By pointswest on 09/22/11 21:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was a replacement to years of minivans.. I was surprised that reliability has not been as good as I expected from what I was told of Toyota ( good marketing I guess),and some repair items under warranty required discussion elevated to dealer manager before issue was resolved. To the question , Will I buy another Toyota ? probably not

great until hidden costs get you...
By 4inthecar on 02/22/11 18:27 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

many have noted the tire issue - i had to order mine online and have them delivered to my home - $952. then i had to take them to a tire shop and pay to have them mounted. NEW shocker - at 63k miles and 3 years of age, my water pump died. the dealer says 3 days labor - 24 hours @ $90 hr + the part, $2400 more or less. supposedly they have to drop the engine and the transmission to get to the water pump on the side of the engine. NOT acceptable TOYOTA! what a worthless design. had i seen this coming i would not have bought the car and would have stuck with honda. my honda element has 240k - and only rountine service. the locks are wearing out - but not the engine...

Great Value - except Tires
By B Whitcomb on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2008, now have 50,000 without any mechanical problems. Could not have better reliability. Performance is outstanding even towing a boat (16 MPG) I have never gotten less than 19 MPG in town and up to 26 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70+ MPH. Original tires very poor replaced at 33,000 with Briggestone, so far so good. OEM tires were worthless day "1" with hydroplaning the rule not the exception. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. My only problem with the vehicle is my own doing. I tow a 4000 LB boat. It tows with great stability at 16 MPG. The problem is getting up the wet boat ramp with FWD. If you tow opt for the AWD

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Highlander in WA is:

$158 per month*