Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Very good vehicle
By gunma

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Has everything I need in a car in these times: good power, fuel economy for its size, and reliability (fingers crossed). It's no Infiniti in looks but neither is it a hulking Pilot. Never thought I would get a Highlander, but one look in person changed my mind.

Cargo size, decent power, decent MPG, Toyota's dependability

Would've been magical if they could've squeezed 300 HP and 20-27 MPG out of the V-6. Also, tightening up the handling would've been nice.

Holding my breath
By Holding my breathe

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had an immediate problem with strong vibration on cold start. It happened a week after we bought the car. Took it in a month later to service dept. and they were really nice but say nothing is wrong. I've been thru this kind of song and dance with another manufacturer before so I know that the consumer has to stay on top of it. Another concern is lag on acceleration - shifting from 1 to 2 gear. It's like the car has to think about what it wants to do so it pauses. Steering radius (turning into parking spaces) is not great, while driving on highway steering squishy.

Sport has just enough niceties for me without overcharge, auto close tailgate, 6 disc cd, auto light system, 3rd row seat, glove box is the best rm i have ever had in any vehicle. Roomy. Gas mileage tracking even tho gas mileage not up to par as they said on sticker.

Vibration, lag on acceleration, steering radius not wide enough, tighter steering on highway, more trunk space with 3rd seat up, split the seat, eliminate the compartment between driver and passenger for us women who don't want their bags flying into the back seat! More cushion in seats.

Happy Highlander Owner
By Mike

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in a 2006 Lexus GS 300 for the 2008 Highlander Sport in January of 2008. The Highlander rides like a high end luxury sedan but offers much more room in the interior and a very comfortable ride. I like the new exterior design that just came out. We never gave the Highlander a second look until the new 2008 style. The Highlander is my first Toyota purchase and I will likely buy another again.

The Highlander provides you with a smooth ride much like a sedan, very roomy! Lots of storage in rear for large items.

Rear hatch back door very heavy and hard to close. The rear door should also have access with a key. I would like to have a little more leg room for the driver, however, lots of leg room for adults in the rear.

Love my new Highlander Limited
By Barry

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I finally turned in my gas guzzler Lexus LX 470 SUV. This Highlander has all of the features I required except the nav. (I did not get the nav as I plan on buying my own to share in my household). The gas mileage is great at 20 MPG for my use (half city, half highway). Very smooth ride, JBL sounds great. Like the "smart key" push button start, homelink, heated seats, power rear door, lots of room. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Smart key, JBL stereo, center console choice, high MPG for size, looks.

Need regular folding armrest for front seats just like 2nd row seats. Bigger screen for backup camera.

Perfect for us!
By Bill

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As we are only a family of three, unless you count the dogs we tried to fit into a new RAV4. At 6'3"+ it just wasn't happening so we decided to step up a level and are we ever glad we did. As soon as I stepped in and sat down I knew it was just a matter of convincing my wife. That didn't take long either because I let her drive it first. In the short period of time we have had it we have shuttled up to 7 people around, surprisingly comfortably and they have all commented about both the ride and the quiet. I suffer from back problems and the driver's seat seems to sense that, allowing multiple adjustments and the relaxation of variable heat. What a wonderful addition to the family! Try it!

Interior space, smooth and quiet ride, mix of power and decent mileage (20-25 mpg so far), ability to easily change seating configuration. I really do like the auto shifter as it allow you the feeling of more control. The seats are very comfortable and everything seems to work just the way it should.

Memory seat (I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'5"). Auto power off if interior lighting or accessories are left on. Even with the Limited a lot of things are extras which equates to a lot more money.