2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Comfy, but lacks refinement
By rkramer455 on 02/17/13 19:10 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall it's a comfortable vehicle with lots of leg room in the rear. However, using it for travel to cycling events has shown major problems. With a hitch rack on the back and gear inside, the rear end squats and the front raises up. This causes the front to wander dangerously, especially in the rain. The tire wear problem is well known and at 35k miles, expect to replace them. There have been numerous rattles in the doors and currently the rear seat vibrates loudly even at low speeds. The FWD just has poor traction and easily spins its wheels at the stop light.

Has It All for 7
By momof2inla on 03/30/09 23:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After careful research on midsize 7 passenger SUVs, I selected the Highlander. The captains chair option with stowaway middle seat is truly novel and well executed. I have two toddlers so the other vehicles in the category that would force you to take out one of the car seats from the second row to get access to the 3rd row just didn't work for me. It has all the bells and whistles I wanted like the rear camera, nav system and heated seats and is super well though out inside. It looks good outside too. I had a Lexus RX 300 before this that I loved, and this is comparable with the bonus of seating the parents and in-laws when they are in town.

Great Car Fuel Economy a problem
By Justin D. on 02/15/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 2wd Limited in Atlanta in November 2008. Its a great car, interior well thought out with the right touches in all the right places. Ride is nice if not sporty. My only complaint is the following. My gas mileage for city driving is consistently around 15.5 to 16 significantly below the 18 Toyota promises. I use Costco gas, don't put much in the car, have tried to not acclerate very fast but this problem continues to persist. This mileage issue is a real disappointment.

2008 Toyota Highlander LTD 2WD
By KP on 02/14/09 04:06 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent fit and finish. Ride is comfortable, powerful quiet engine. Interior controls easy to reach and well laid out. Only options we chose were a power lift gate, JBL stereo system, and running boards. Mileage has averaged 17 city and 27 highway since we purchased it. Toyo OEM tires showed wear bars at 17,000. Replaced with 19" Hankook 80,000 mile tires and have had no problems.

Better than expected
By Frank on 12/13/08 23:03 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in 00' Sienna 130k mile, Comfortable ride handles great in the rain. Car grows on you the more you drive it. 3rd row is great for the kids. I wish they had split the sitting. 2nd row is spacious for adults. Cargo Mat and privacy screen are troublesome to put away with last minute seating.

Love our Highlander Limited
By bev on 11/25/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

traded a 2003 Toyota Camry with 85000 miles on it. The new Highlander is one of the best cars ive owned and love all the features. Toyota is number 1 to me.

Very Happy With Purchase
By Jim S on 11/02/08 15:29 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've only been driving the Highlander for about a month, but so far I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed at how good the gas mileage is, especially considering how much power it has. Even better gas mileage than the 05 Highlander that I traded. I bought the 2 wheel drive model not only to save money, but also because its better on gas, and requires less maintenance than the 4 wheel drive model. My only real complaint is the 55 series 19" tires that come standard on the Limited model. The 19" wheels look great, but one good look at the Bridgestones tell you that they're not well suited for snow or ice. I've already purchased 4 Blizzaks and alloy wheels for the winter months.

Perfect for us!
By Bill on 07/30/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As we are only a family of three, unless you count the dogs we tried to fit into a new RAV4. At 6'3"+ it just wasn't happening so we decided to step up a level and are we ever glad we did. As soon as I stepped in and sat down I knew it was just a matter of convincing my wife. That didn't take long either because I let her drive it first. In the short period of time we have had it we have shuttled up to 7 people around, surprisingly comfortably and they have all commented about both the ride and the quiet. I suffer from back problems and the driver's seat seems to sense that, allowing multiple adjustments and the relaxation of variable heat. What a wonderful addition to the family! Try it!

Initial Review
By Zaab on 07/20/08 10:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a Limited with JBL, auto rear air, power back door, tow, spoiler, heated seats. Traded in a Honda Minivan as the kids are a bit older. This is a very comfortable ride with respectable power for what it is. The ride is a little soft but expected for what we were considering which is a vehicle to drive around town on surface roads doing errands. Very nice interior with many features that are in higher end vehicles. Front seats are very roomy and there is a ton of room in the 2nd row both in the large seats and large amount of legroom. Third seat is similar to other vehicles in this class. Cargo room with the third seat up is small as a large grocery trip will tax the space.

Replacement tires are hard to find
By D.J. on 06/21/08 21:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Highlander Limited 4WD over 4 months ago and it is an excellent SUV. The only thing that we have problem is that this model is equipped with Toyo Open Country A 20 P245/55R19 103S tires which are almost impossible to find. We got two flat tires while parked at a garage a few weeks ago - one tire is repairable and the other one isn't since the nail is near the sidewall. No tire center has this specific tire in stock. One tire center quoted us $230 per tire while the dealer quoted us $300. Other than that, the whole family loves this new SUV.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Highlander Suv in NJ is:

$180 per month*