Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Never again!
By aksecurity7035

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned highlander 2005 3.3 and loved it, power, economy, comfort, and reliability were 5 stars paid 26k for brand new. In 2008 new model looked really nice and I thought it's time for an upgrade, wrong I was. Turned out to be down grade all around except the looks. 30k for a sport model with lots of features but economy is down the drain, comfort is down the drain, and reliability as well down the drain. Focus of maker was to make a cool looking suv with lots of features.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room, rear view camera, powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better fuel economy, better comfort for driver and passengers, needs better suspension and turn balance. Badly needs redesigned interior with materials-current are too hard and noisy, every time you go over a bump the whole car craks. Needs better computer system for transmission response when you work shifter. Brakes are extremely soft to where the whole front of the car feels like it will tip over. Mechanical issues all around. AC failed to work at 57k miles.

Good Choice
By whasp18

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching a "family" vehicle purchase for over two months, I eventually decided on a used 2008 Toyota Highlander, 7 passenger - FWD V6. I test drove all the 2012 Dodge, Chevy, Ford alternatives. I decided on a used Highlander for the price point & TCO. No buyers remorse currently. On my first long trip I decided to test out MPG's. Half the trip I drove interstate, 75-80 MPH; MPG were between 20-21, I was disappointed. On my return trip I took an alternate route & drove 60-70 MPH; MPG were between 28-29, I was impressed. I chose a FWD in anticipation of better MPG. Power and performance of the V6 engine is great. If you can adjust your driving style, you can get 2012 MPG in a 2008.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort and engine power are the most impressive. My main focus when deciding on a 2008 highlander were core vehicle capabilities; Performance, Comfort/Feel, Passenger capacity. I could drive this vehicle all day and not get uncomfortable in it. The Sport model has a smooth but stiff rid, I believe a lot of the ride will depend on the tire. The features available in the 2008 model are all relevant and still make it a competitive choice to any 2012 alternatives available.

Great Value - except Tires
By B Whitcomb

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2008, now have 50,000 without any mechanical problems. Could not have better reliability. Performance is outstanding even towing a boat (16 MPG) I have never gotten less than 19 MPG in town and up to 26 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70+ MPH. Original tires very poor replaced at 33,000 with Briggestone, so far so good. OEM tires were worthless day "1" with hydroplaning the rule not the exception. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. My only problem with the vehicle is my own doing. I tow a 4000 LB boat. It tows with great stability at 16 MPG. The problem is getting up the wet boat ramp with FWD. If you tow opt for the AWD

Favorite Features

Love the "Snow" Button, manual shift backup camera - easy to hook to trailer, auto AC

Suggested Improvements

Two more inches of driver seat travel for us tall guys.

Dissapointment in entire toyota nation
By AKsecurity7035

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident in Toyota Vehicles, starting from my 98 Camry all the way to my 05 Highlander and Toyota managed to completely destroy my confidence and dedication with my current 08 Highlander Sport. The car has a lot of defects; I donít even know where to begin! Engineís horse power doesnít fit carís handling and suspension, brakes are so soft that you have to power press brake pedal, dash board constantly makes cracking noises that canít be fixed, JBL audio system has a lack of engineering all of speakers have been blown a couple of times without any explanation, Dealer is not able to find the problem. Wheel size of sport model only fits Toyo tires

Favorite Features

Automatic/manual shift, climate control, rear view camera.

Suggested Improvements

This whole vehicle needs to be redesigned, inside and out. Starting from Wheel size, suspension, and interior.

Incredible Reliability Again
By cindy h

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, the first Highlander that I have owned. Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles. I've never had an issue mechanical or safety related with any Toyota I've owned..period. This 08 Highlander is not only comfortable but has great flexibility to handle the demands of a family of five with out being huge.

Favorite Features

I can put lots of miles on it with no problems. It is a fantastic value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Find another manufacture for the tires, the 19" Bridgestone H/L 400 are without a doubt the worst tire out there.