2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Never again!
By aksecurity7035 on 10/10/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned highlander 2005 3.3 and loved it, power, economy, comfort, and reliability were 5 stars paid 26k for brand new. In 2008 new model looked really nice and I thought it's time for an upgrade, wrong I was. Turned out to be down grade all around except the looks. 30k for a sport model with lots of features but economy is down the drain, comfort is down the drain, and reliability as well down the drain. Focus of maker was to make a cool looking suv with lots of features.

Good Choice
By whasp18 on 03/31/12 21:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching a "family" vehicle purchase for over two months, I eventually decided on a used 2008 Toyota Highlander, 7 passenger - FWD V6. I test drove all the 2012 Dodge, Chevy, Ford alternatives. I decided on a used Highlander for the price point & TCO. No buyers remorse currently. On my first long trip I decided to test out MPG's. Half the trip I drove interstate, 75-80 MPH; MPG were between 20-21, I was disappointed. On my return trip I took an alternate route & drove 60-70 MPH; MPG were between 28-29, I was impressed. I chose a FWD in anticipation of better MPG. Power and performance of the V6 engine is great. If you can adjust your driving style, you can get 2012 MPG in a 2008.

Great Value - except Tires
By B Whitcomb on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2008, now have 50,000 without any mechanical problems. Could not have better reliability. Performance is outstanding even towing a boat (16 MPG) I have never gotten less than 19 MPG in town and up to 26 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70+ MPH. Original tires very poor replaced at 33,000 with Briggestone, so far so good. OEM tires were worthless day "1" with hydroplaning the rule not the exception. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. My only problem with the vehicle is my own doing. I tow a 4000 LB boat. It tows with great stability at 16 MPG. The problem is getting up the wet boat ramp with FWD. If you tow opt for the AWD

Dissapointment in entire toyota nation
By AKsecurity7035 on 06/27/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident in Toyota Vehicles, starting from my 98 Camry all the way to my 05 Highlander and Toyota managed to completely destroy my confidence and dedication with my current 08 Highlander Sport. The car has a lot of defects; I donít even know where to begin! Engineís horse power doesnít fit carís handling and suspension, brakes are so soft that you have to power press brake pedal, dash board constantly makes cracking noises that canít be fixed, JBL audio system has a lack of engineering all of speakers have been blown a couple of times without any explanation, Dealer is not able to find the problem. Wheel size of sport model only fits Toyo tires

Incredible Reliability Again
By cindy h on 03/18/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, the first Highlander that I have owned. Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles. I've never had an issue mechanical or safety related with any Toyota I've owned..period. This 08 Highlander is not only comfortable but has great flexibility to handle the demands of a family of five with out being huge.

Good SUV, Bad Tires
By TopDawg on 02/25/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car itself. Have 22K miles on it so far. Toyo A20 245/55R19 tires are nearing the end. Dealers in town know these tires are fast wearing but only want to sell the same or the equally bad Bridgestone Dueler HL. Toyota still putting A20 on 2010 models. Local dealer said I can change size but it may throw off performance. I see posts of near accidents related to tires on this site. Otherwise car handles quite nicely with VSC option and has lots of room and zoom (V6).

tires and oil line
By gbrown1067 on 01/31/10 22:31 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

the tires on the sport model are horrible. Look at tire rack review. The are a accident waiting to happen. Why put out a awd with poor tires. Only two mfg makes them. There is a oil line to the valve train area that is accident waiting to happen after 45K miles.Look up toyota oil leaks. Blue tooth operation is horrible. You must program phone #'s into the car system

Better than Pilot
By Better Than Honda on 05/17/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about it! Went from a 2006 Honda Pilot EXL and have to say this car is a much better design completely. I have a loaded sport model minus the nav. The captain's car make 3rd row usable. Couldn't live w/out power tailgate and back up camera now. I love love love how the extra seats folds away! On average I get 23.8 mpg better than my pilot. Accessories are cheaper than Hondas surprisingly. More bang for the buck than pilot all the way around! Sticker was 37k more than comp. Pilot but after rebate and wheelin' and deal'n got for 28K. The deals are out there just got to find them! Fun to drive mom car w/out looking like the soccer mom van but still very functional!!

Love it!
By kelly_lynne_2004 on 02/04/09 11:02 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. I am coming from a half ton pick up so of course the fuel mileage is way better!! I love how it handles and the storage under the cargo area. I enjoy how the car handles and is another great product from Toyota!!

Tires on factory Toyota
By Jeff H on 01/10/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Toyotas in the past and was very pleased. with the newer ones though I wonder? Runs great as all Toyotas, great acceleration and braking. The ride is stiff, may be that this replaced a Honda Odyssey (bad van). Seems to have more road noise than previous Toyota models. Overall at this point I would buy another Highlander.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.