2008 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl on 12/07/11 11:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost. Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine. What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter. My old van didn't rattle like this! It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem. Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside. Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now. What next?

Almost a good car
By Last Chance on 02/22/10 17:49 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1000 miles the engine developed a cold engine knock that Toyota would not fix. They said it was the new piston design, and not a problem. When I unplugged my GPS from the console power outlet the entire console top came off with the plug. Very cheaply made. I don't drive it very much anymore because I hate the cold engine knock, and I'm afraid of what else they might have compromised when they designed and produced this vehicle.

oil leak.
By Tom on 02/15/10 13:34 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered an oil leak coming from above the oil filter area. The dealer stated that it is a major casket and toyota issued a technical issue on this item. I understand this is not a normal occurrence but will require a major pull of the engine and replacing formed caskets...

08 Highlander
By Louie on 09/09/09 06:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my highlander. It gets 21 mpg around town and 23 mpg on the highway. Rides comfortably at 80 on the highway and still has plenty of gusto left to pass on a hill. It's a very quiet ride and smooth. The steering wheel is very tight and turns in a small circle, I love it. Thank you to everyone else who wrote a review, it really helped my decision to buy a highlander. I would recommend a highlander, my husband is now looking at the Tundra. I guess we'll be a Toyota Family.

Acceleration Catchup
By ERN on 04/09/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I round a corner at normal speed the acceleration hesitates and can't make up its mind if it wants to stay high or go down lower. It's very irritating. My Toyota dealership said it is a gas saving computer thing and the only way to correct it is to drive more aggressively around corners. I tried doing that and my wife put a stop to my NASCAR aspirations. Also, constant issues with the tires. I have owned Toyota's in the past and never had to add air every time I filled up.

Great car!
By Tracey on 11/26/08 20:31 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The power is great! The car is very roomy, with great features, with the back seat able to be turned in to bucket seats. Great visibility all around the car, feels very safe. The car is very stable, with the increased size of the car this year!

Best Car Ever Owned
By S-port U-tility on 10/31/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned everything from rice-cookers, german sedans, 911s and F350s and this 2008 Highlander is the best blend of utility, speed and comfort in any car I've driven. Needing 5000lb towing for smaller farm duties, grinding out daily one-hour commutes with speed and good gas mileage (18.8-21.0 depending on driving style) and great 2nd row passenger leg and head room (I'm 6-2) no one in the family is complaining. Bought the Base AWD. Added leather and tow hitch. Still almost too nice for utility work. Toyotas should hold up quality-wise. If it does, this one will be with me until one of us take a rest!

Very good vehicle
By gunma on 08/11/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Has everything I need in a car in these times: good power, fuel economy for its size, and reliability (fingers crossed). It's no Infiniti in looks but neither is it a hulking Pilot. Never thought I would get a Highlander, but one look in person changed my mind.

Great All-Purpose SUV
By Frank on 07/26/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Highlander only a week but can tell already I'm going to love it. Interior appointments and ergonomics are superb. Transmission is smooth however the downshifting at around 40MPH is a little noticeable. Braking fine. This car is quiet, by far the quietest SUV I tested. Ride is outstanding. Note this is not a sports car however. Seats are very comfortable. This is going to be fabulous family trip car. Can't wait for our first big trip. I wanted this car be be everything and it is: the comfy ride of a sedan, cargo space of a van, and style. Toyota has done it again. On my first gas up I got 22.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not bad. Great car - what I have always wanted!

Drives like a dream
By B & R on 07/20/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Highlander on Memorial Day weekend. Our previous car was a Chevy Tahoe which sat in our driveway most of the time being such a gas guzzler. We tried the Honda Pilot 2008 (we have a 2000 civic) & found it didn't compare with the Highlander. We needed the towing capacity plus smooth traveling ride & storage. We have the lighted running boards which are wonderful. I have short legs & love the lighting at nite to get into the car. The console in front & the lighted panel have all the bells & whistles you need when on the road. WE JUST LOVE THE CAR!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.