2008 Toyota Highlander Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Sort Reviews by

Not as reliable as Toyota's should be
By toyofan8

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is nice and comfortable. A long time Toyota owner I was completely surprised by the constant issues. Rear window wiper motor, sunroof, NAV system had to be replaced. The lugs nuts are two piece shells and loose it's cap each time you remove a lug nut. I forced the dealer to replace them at his cost every time he rotated the wheels. The tires cost about $1400 (poor choice and expensive) and regardless of the warranty they last only a mere 19K. The tire size is limited to two manufactures and thus the high price. Got stuck in snow and had to reverse the SUV to get out. Embarrassing to say the least for an SUV. Lastly, the traction control truly does not work, it slides everywhere.

Favorite Features

Automatic hatch, under carriage lights, keyless entry, hitch, and spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the NAV system has been improved due to the lack of POI and functionality. It does not justify the 2K extra in the GPS features as I can buy at the time a GPS for only $200 and will have loads of other features that are essential while traveling. Never again purchase an auto with GPS! They need to choose good gripping and long lasting tires for this or any of their vehicles that are made by many manufacturers to keep the costs down. Must have been some sort of business deal with Toyo and Bridgestone to get the suckers who like to spend their money. Not a sucker any more.

Comfy, but lacks refinement
By rkramer455

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall it's a comfortable vehicle with lots of leg room in the rear. However, using it for travel to cycling events has shown major problems. With a hitch rack on the back and gear inside, the rear end squats and the front raises up. This causes the front to wander dangerously, especially in the rain. The tire wear problem is well known and at 35k miles, expect to replace them. There have been numerous rattles in the doors and currently the rear seat vibrates loudly even at low speeds. The FWD just has poor traction and easily spins its wheels at the stop light.

Favorite Features

Rear seat room and rear area storage are deceptively large. The interior and exterior are attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Nav accuracy has been an issue when it's taken me through small towns instead of highways (despite settings to the contrary) adding an hour or more to the trip. I use Google Maps on the iPhone instead. The rear squat/front wheel grip is a real problem that seems unsolvable.

Has It All for 7
By momof2inla

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After careful research on midsize 7 passenger SUVs, I selected the Highlander. The captains chair option with stowaway middle seat is truly novel and well executed. I have two toddlers so the other vehicles in the category that would force you to take out one of the car seats from the second row to get access to the 3rd row just didn't work for me. It has all the bells and whistles I wanted like the rear camera, nav system and heated seats and is super well though out inside. It looks good outside too. I had a Lexus RX 300 before this that I loved, and this is comparable with the bonus of seating the parents and in-laws when they are in town.

Favorite Features

captains chairs with easy access to 3rd row

Suggested Improvements

quieter ride

Great Car Fuel Economy a problem
By Justin D.

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 2wd Limited in Atlanta in November 2008. Its a great car, interior well thought out with the right touches in all the right places. Ride is nice if not sporty. My only complaint is the following. My gas mileage for city driving is consistently around 15.5 to 16 significantly below the 18 Toyota promises. I use Costco gas, don't put much in the car, have tried to not acclerate very fast but this problem continues to persist. This mileage issue is a real disappointment.

2008 Toyota Highlander LTD 2WD
By KP

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent fit and finish. Ride is comfortable, powerful quiet engine. Interior controls easy to reach and well laid out. Only options we chose were a power lift gate, JBL stereo system, and running boards. Mileage has averaged 17 city and 27 highway since we purchased it. Toyo OEM tires showed wear bars at 17,000. Replaced with 19" Hankook 80,000 mile tires and have had no problems.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, power liftgate, quiet ride, smooth powerful engine. Rear camera is helpful.

Suggested Improvements

When rear windows are open or cracked, you will notice appreciable wind buffeting which strikes the vehicle around those rear windows. Memory seats would be nice.

Better than expected
By Frank

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in 00' Sienna 130k mile, Comfortable ride handles great in the rain. Car grows on you the more you drive it. 3rd row is great for the kids. I wish they had split the sitting. 2nd row is spacious for adults. Cargo Mat and privacy screen are troublesome to put away with last minute seating.

Favorite Features

Factory IPOD adapter (plugs into XM Radio port); Seat warmers; keyless entry; lots of storage space; night LED light; backup camera.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear on transmission; split down 3rd row.

Love our Highlander Limited
By bev

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

traded a 2003 Toyota Camry with 85000 miles on it. The new Highlander is one of the best cars ive owned and love all the features. Toyota is number 1 to me.

Favorite Features

Navigation, dvd player, mp3 hook up, bluetooth, heated seats, 19 inch wheels, power lift gate, push button start, limited edition.

Suggested Improvements

8 way power passenger seat.

Very Happy With Purchase
By Jim S

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've only been driving the Highlander for about a month, but so far I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed at how good the gas mileage is, especially considering how much power it has. Even better gas mileage than the 05 Highlander that I traded. I bought the 2 wheel drive model not only to save money, but also because its better on gas, and requires less maintenance than the 4 wheel drive model. My only real complaint is the 55 series 19" tires that come standard on the Limited model. The 19" wheels look great, but one good look at the Bridgestones tell you that they're not well suited for snow or ice. I've already purchased 4 Blizzaks and alloy wheels for the winter months.

Favorite Features

Much more leg room than the old model. Great engine and smooth shifting transmission. Quiet ride. Very good gas mileage. Bluetooth. Back-up camera. JBL sound system. Power lift gate. Push button start. Three way climate control. Heated front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make 19" wheels optional on all models due to the fact that the 245-55-19 Bridgestones aren't well suited for snow and ice even on the 4 wheel drive model. Body side molding to protect sides of vehicle. Factory installed XM radio instead of being a dealer installed option.

Perfect for us!
By Bill

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As we are only a family of three, unless you count the dogs we tried to fit into a new RAV4. At 6'3"+ it just wasn't happening so we decided to step up a level and are we ever glad we did. As soon as I stepped in and sat down I knew it was just a matter of convincing my wife. That didn't take long either because I let her drive it first. In the short period of time we have had it we have shuttled up to 7 people around, surprisingly comfortably and they have all commented about both the ride and the quiet. I suffer from back problems and the driver's seat seems to sense that, allowing multiple adjustments and the relaxation of variable heat. What a wonderful addition to the family! Try it!

Favorite Features

Interior space, smooth and quiet ride, mix of power and decent mileage (20-25 mpg so far), ability to easily change seating configuration. I really do like the auto shifter as it allow you the feeling of more control. The seats are very comfortable and everything seems to work just the way it should.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seat (I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'5"). Auto power off if interior lighting or accessories are left on. Even with the Limited a lot of things are extras which equates to a lot more money.

Initial Review
By Zaab

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a Limited with JBL, auto rear air, power back door, tow, spoiler, heated seats. Traded in a Honda Minivan as the kids are a bit older. This is a very comfortable ride with respectable power for what it is. The ride is a little soft but expected for what we were considering which is a vehicle to drive around town on surface roads doing errands. Very nice interior with many features that are in higher end vehicles. Front seats are very roomy and there is a ton of room in the 2nd row both in the large seats and large amount of legroom. Third seat is similar to other vehicles in this class. Cargo room with the third seat up is small as a large grocery trip will tax the space.

Favorite Features

High end features of the car. Walk through capability to 3rd row (and stow away seat) Very roomy 2nd row. Well laid out dash and audio/air controls. You do not have to search around the controls and they are very intuitive

Suggested Improvements

As said above, no split third row seat and no power in center console. Front passenger seat should have more controls for this trim.