Used 2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love my 2008 Highlander
By Kris Modisette

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased when it had 32,000 miles on it. Now it has 153,000 miles. I've only replaced tires at $900 twice, changed the oil regularly, and so far I've never had to put it in the shop for repairs. We change the battery and brake pads, just maintenance. It's going to get a tune up tomorrow, and I hope it improves the gas mileage. For now city 19, and highway 21 to 23. Also, pulling the boat it gets 16 mpg, but it pulls very well. I hope it keeps up with reliability because I have yet to find anything else I like as well as my Highlander.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature how the car handles on ice and sand. When I push the snow button it feels like it drops slightly and grips the road very well. Roomy enough on the inside to seat my family, or lay the seats down to haul anything I can fit in it.

Suggested Improvements

I gave it 4 stars in comfort because my husband says it's not very comfortable for him. (Could be he's not driving! lol)

Not as reliable as Toyota's should be
By toyofan8

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is nice and comfortable. A long time Toyota owner I was completely surprised by the constant issues. Rear window wiper motor, sunroof, NAV system had to be replaced. The lugs nuts are two piece shells and loose it's cap each time you remove a lug nut. I forced the dealer to replace them at his cost every time he rotated the wheels. The tires cost about $1400 (poor choice and expensive) and regardless of the warranty they last only a mere 19K. The tire size is limited to two manufactures and thus the high price. Got stuck in snow and had to reverse the SUV to get out. Embarrassing to say the least for an SUV. Lastly, the traction control truly does not work, it slides everywhere.

Favorite Features

Automatic hatch, under carriage lights, keyless entry, hitch, and spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the NAV system has been improved due to the lack of POI and functionality. It does not justify the 2K extra in the GPS features as I can buy at the time a GPS for only $200 and will have loads of other features that are essential while traveling. Never again purchase an auto with GPS! They need to choose good gripping and long lasting tires for this or any of their vehicles that are made by many manufacturers to keep the costs down. Must have been some sort of business deal with Toyo and Bridgestone to get the suckers who like to spend their money. Not a sucker any more.

Comfortable and Safe
By eurodrive25

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I learned how to drive in this car. It's very comfortable for daily driving and on long trips as long as you're not sitting in the 3rd row. It drives great and does well enough on gas. It's a very safe car also. I owe my mothers life to the safety features in this car. Not many people can walk away from hitting a grove of trees at highway speeds. Great SUV for a family!

Favorite Features

Tons of standard safety features, plenty of space in the first two rows, good acceleration, and relatively good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

3rd roe of seats is very cramped but how many times do you use the 6th and 7th seat anyway.

Excellent highway cruiser
By ebeaudoin

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My mother-in-law bought one of these that was a dealer demo in 2009. The Highlander is such a nice, smooth ride, and the 3.5L V6 pulls incredibly well. I've driven this car for many miles and have always enjoyed it- excellent visibilty, smooth smooth smooth ride, strong acceleration, etc. The best I saw was 26 MPG on the highway; not bad. One thing to be careful with on this vehicle- it's very easy to lose track of how fast you're going. The smooth, quiet ride doesn't communicate the fact that you're going 25 over very well :D That being said, I would own one of these. She traded it in with 50,100 miles for a 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE because she didn't need the SUV anymore. Excellent truck!

Comfy, but lacks refinement
By rkramer455

2008 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall it's a comfortable vehicle with lots of leg room in the rear. However, using it for travel to cycling events has shown major problems. With a hitch rack on the back and gear inside, the rear end squats and the front raises up. This causes the front to wander dangerously, especially in the rain. The tire wear problem is well known and at 35k miles, expect to replace them. There have been numerous rattles in the doors and currently the rear seat vibrates loudly even at low speeds. The FWD just has poor traction and easily spins its wheels at the stop light.

Favorite Features

Rear seat room and rear area storage are deceptively large. The interior and exterior are attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Nav accuracy has been an issue when it's taken me through small towns instead of highways (despite settings to the contrary) adding an hour or more to the trip. I use Google Maps on the iPhone instead. The rear squat/front wheel grip is a real problem that seems unsolvable.