Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost. Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine. What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter. My old van didn't rattle like this! It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem. Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside. Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now. What next?

Roomy leg and foot room in driver and passenger sides, and rear seat. (what sold me on this SUV over others) Better quality interior than Honda, Ford, others... Decent gas mileage in it's class for the money. Toyota quality and reputation. (which I'm now questioning...) Good size seats - Honda's are too narrow, and so are others in this class, or too low to the floor. Height of truck is just right for me for loading groceries, and has enough room for lots of luggage for 2 on long trips. Fold down second row seats offer extra space for more luggage, Christmas shopping, or awkward or long items.

Dash rattles are Numerous! They seem to go away during the summer months, and come back in October. (Hint: run your dash heater on high for 10 minutes or so - this helps to warm up the dash to reduce the rattles most of the time) Back seat has started to rattle now. Radio is adequate, but the bass is terrible! Muffled and annoying, we turn it down as far as possible. Air seems to leak out the dash vents when running heater on floor only. Hits me right in the eyes and dries out my contacts. I have to drive with the visor down on long trips in the winter . Can be hard to see when backing up. My van had more visibility. And please make passenger seat with power seat controls standard!

Almost a good car
By Last Chance

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1000 miles the engine developed a cold engine knock that Toyota would not fix. They said it was the new piston design, and not a problem. When I unplugged my GPS from the console power outlet the entire console top came off with the plug. Very cheaply made. I don't drive it very much anymore because I hate the cold engine knock, and I'm afraid of what else they might have compromised when they designed and produced this vehicle.

Excellent fuel economy.

Improve the engine and interior quality so that it is on a par with previous Toyotas.

oil leak.
By Tom

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered an oil leak coming from above the oil filter area. The dealer stated that it is a major casket and toyota issued a technical issue on this item. I understand this is not a normal occurrence but will require a major pull of the engine and replacing formed caskets...

08 Highlander
By Louie

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my highlander. It gets 21 mpg around town and 23 mpg on the highway. Rides comfortably at 80 on the highway and still has plenty of gusto left to pass on a hill. It's a very quiet ride and smooth. The steering wheel is very tight and turns in a small circle, I love it. Thank you to everyone else who wrote a review, it really helped my decision to buy a highlander. I would recommend a highlander, my husband is now looking at the Tundra. I guess we'll be a Toyota Family.

I love how much power it has, I was very surprised. The back seats have a ton of leg room. My husband is 6'2 and drives with the seat fully back and the passenger still has plenty of leg room. Also we got the Toyota Certified with 7 years 100,000 miles and roadside for the same amount of time!

A little more room for cargo would be nice. I traded in my 03 winstar for the highlander and noticed on our first road trip how much less space we had for beach chairs and coolers. But for everyday driving it has plenty of space.

Acceleration Catchup
By ERN

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I round a corner at normal speed the acceleration hesitates and can't make up its mind if it wants to stay high or go down lower. It's very irritating. My Toyota dealership said it is a gas saving computer thing and the only way to correct it is to drive more aggressively around corners. I tried doing that and my wife put a stop to my NASCAR aspirations. Also, constant issues with the tires. I have owned Toyota's in the past and never had to add air every time I filled up.

Comfort on the road. Gas mileage is 27 mpg on interstate trips.

See above review