2006 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Somewhat of an expert...

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic w/3rd Row)

Somewhat of an expert...
By Elliott on

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the Highlander because I have owned six (6) of them. That's right... I buy a new one every year and love the vehicle. It fits my needs as an SUV while it rides like a dream. The gas mileage is great for an SUV and is affordable to own. I miss not having the option for an auto dim rearview mirror with compass. It was available in the past but a service note came out against it because installation could interfere with the operation of the air bags. Very happy that fog lights finally became an option. Also glad that a center console became available in 2002. The 2001 didn't have one and you couldn't get an aftermarket for it. Shifting is a little sloppy

I love the ride and overall comfortable feel of the vehicle. It looks great, runs great and is very affordable to own. Very happy that fog lights finally became an option.

Third row seating is useless. Get rid of it and lose the extra weight. Transmittion and acceleration are very poor. Feels like the tranny is slipping due to the use of motors rather than gears. Sometimes bangs into gear. Early acceleration is very poor while acceleration after second gear is great.