Perfect Balance
By avusblue on
2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
The Highlander is a well-rounded vehicle and the perfect compromise. It combines great utility (passenger and cargo space), smooth comfort (plush and quiet ride), nimble and quick handling (plenty of power), good fuel economy (averaging 23 mpg w/ V6), and a reasonable purchase price. I replaced a Chevy Tahoe and the more manageable size is great when parking and maneuvering - yet the space inside is still ample. I compared against the RAV4 and found the HL to be more comfortable, upscale and attractive, for about the same net price. I skipped the third row seating as Id never use it, and I appreciate the under-floor storage locker thats provided instead.
Favorite Features
All-around balance of utility, comfort, room, performance, efficiency, and value. Very smooth and quiet. Nice appearance, inside and out. Toyota reputation for quality. Terrific headlight performance (brightness and pattern).
Suggested Improvements
Id rather have a bigger, higher center console with integrated armrest and storage compartment. The cupholders are poor. Also, the instruments are deeply tunneled and can be too dark to read at times. These are minor nitpicks for an overall great vehicle.