Used 2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Almost there
By Pedro

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander in July. It was a good purchase but a little more than I could afford - dealers have a way of making you spend more than you should. I love the color and the smell of the car although I bought it used with only 8700 miles. The ride is good but a little noisy - it may be wind noise when the windows are down. Gas mileage seems pretty good but not as good as I was promised. I drive mostly in the city and get about 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. I have a large family and needed the extra seating. The rear seat is a little cramped for my older ones but it is OK for my younger kids. I hope this is a reliable car.

I like having air conditioning and a radio. We chose this car for the built in DVD player.

I think that this car rides too high. I would like to see it lowered about 5 inches. Its hard for my mother to enter the car.

My 06 Highlander sport
By ron

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 06 Highlander Sport v6. Drives like a dream with precise handling and very much a carlike ride. I like the firm but not choppy ride. The sport tuned suspension provides a very nice and predictable handling experience. Corners beautifully, and the acceleration of the V6 is powerful, yet provides decent mpg. My Highlander now has 3000 miles on it and my mpg overall city/hwy is 20mpg. I've been getting around 22.5 on the hwy. I love my highlander and happy I made the choice of owning one.

Radio controls on steering wheel. Very roomy interior. Handsome design. Easy to use cruise control. Very quiet ride, even better and quieter than my German made luxury SUV at half the cost.

Automatic door locks. Better quality console materials. Cheap feeling plastic is now being used. Does not match quality of the rest of this great vehicle.

highlander
By allen

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a very reliable car. This is my second Highlander SUV and so far no mechanical problems.

this is a very reliable SUV

Toyota needs to improve the road noise and the tires that come with the SUV do not last long. My will probably last 15,000 miles. That's not good.

highlander tires
By allen

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The highlander is an extremely reliable car. My first was a 2002 with no problems and the second is a 2006 model that I've had for 10 months and so far so good.

There are 2 items that Toyota should improve upon: (1) Tires--the tires that come with the car will only last around 15000 miles and (2) Road noise--- The noise should be reduced with additional soundproofing

2006 Highlander
By jelietz

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A thoroughly solid, reliable and dependable SUV. Have owned for 7 months with no problems at all. My 4th Toyota. All have been exceptionally reliable, if not sexy. Basically, the Highlander is as advertised. It is not luxurious, nor exceptionally sexy looking. Its performance is vanilla. However, it does everything well and is a versatile vehicle. A bit disappointed with overall mileage and seats could have more support for longer drives. Engine (V6) is rated as 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. I do very little city driving and my mileage averages about 20 mpg. Highway, about 22 mpg.

AWD and versatility to carry cargo or passengers. Also like the higher seating. Ride is comfortable.

Better seats and mileage. Exterior trim to enhance appearance (eg., RX 330 two tone color schemes and trim).

• SUV