Used 2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great SUV
By Proud owner

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for almost two years, haven't had anything go wrong (knock on wood!). My first Toyota, I tried the RAV and a Buick Rendevous. The RAV seemed a tad too small, the Buick my husband didn't like. The size is perfect for us--just two but two dogs, one large, one medium, can both fit in the back seat, have plenty of cargo space left in back. Haven't used the third seat but wanted in case of emergency. Would agree good only for children. Rides smooth, easy to drive as a car, but the better and higher visibility of an SUV. Overall very satisfied and figure this to be a 10 yr vehicle.

Favorite Features

Heated seats-first vehicle with them and won't go without again. Great first and second row leg room. Good visibility out of the rear, easy to manuever in and out of parking lots, versatile hauling capabilities with the ability to lay down both 2nd and 3rd of seats. Large glove box and console.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat could be larger and easier to access (done on 08). Seats could be a little longer. Air vents to the back seats (dog gets warm!).

2 years and running strong
By Laura E.

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I first wrote about my highlander from my first day of use. Now it is 2 years later and I love it even more! It handles icy and snowy conditions in Alaska like a dream. I can easily fit 15 bales of hay in it to haul for my horse. I can flip the seats and clean it out quickly, and my dog LOVES the back section with its own heater. I have just replaced the factory tires which wore out at about 48,000 miles. The air control box did break due to the severe cold we have experienced this winter (-30 degrees). But it was an easy fix by the dealer crew. Fuel economy remains strong as I am a careful driver. Road noise and a slipping mat in the third row are my only negatives.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, ease of manuevering seats for cargo, fun to drive! BLASTS through snow.

Suggested Improvements

Second/third row AC vents, wider armrests, controls on steering wheel, better traction on back section pad for when a dog rides (slides it back toward door).

Still Enjoying My HL After 2 Years!
By Mercy58

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Highlander after test driving a Sienna; found the HL much easier to handle (I have a bad arm, so that's important to me). First Toyota, very pleased; just had 30,000 mile service done with no problems. It drives very well in the snow. Rides great after replacing original tires with good quality Michelins. I find it very easy to maneuver and visibility is good. Paint does scratch easily under door handles. Tranny hesitates a bit shifting down when turning into my steep uphill drive. 3rd row seat okay for children; too small for most adults. Overall I'm very happy with my HL!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, smooth ride, maneuverability, power driver's seat, user friendly dash controls, shifter position, interior roominess, interior colors (tan/silver), perfect height for entering/exiting (for me, 5'7"), quick acceleration, 3rd row seat folds flat for cargo storage.

Suggested Improvements

Better front seat cupholders! (They improved the center console on '08s.) Rear window glass opening independent of door would be nice. Wish these were standard on base model: compass/temp display, 6 disc CD changer, daytime running lights, middle seat heat/air vents, better quality tires.

So far, so good
By fleetcaptain

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have the hybrid. I love this car. Very reliable, no problems at 40k miles. I've towed several trailers over 900 miles each time, no problems.

hesitates, can't be fixed
By matus

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

after 18 months I still can't trust this vehicle to accelerate when I step on the gas. It takes too long to shift, double shifts and hesitates. I've had to change the way I drive so I don't get slammed into. Interior space usage is not very efficient. Buyer's remorse. Toyota, after three trips to dealership says there's nothing wrong with it.

Favorite Features

With seats down the cargo space is like a small pickup. Gas mileage is pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

Put a different engine in it. Put the shift on the column or redesign the center console.