2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great SUV
By Proud owner on 03/29/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for almost two years, haven't had anything go wrong (knock on wood!). My first Toyota, I tried the RAV and a Buick Rendevous. The RAV seemed a tad too small, the Buick my husband didn't like. The size is perfect for us--just two but two dogs, one large, one medium, can both fit in the back seat, have plenty of cargo space left in back. Haven't used the third seat but wanted in case of emergency. Would agree good only for children. Rides smooth, easy to drive as a car, but the better and higher visibility of an SUV. Overall very satisfied and figure this to be a 10 yr vehicle.

2 years and running strong
By Laura E. on 02/07/08 20:45 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I first wrote about my highlander from my first day of use. Now it is 2 years later and I love it even more! It handles icy and snowy conditions in Alaska like a dream. I can easily fit 15 bales of hay in it to haul for my horse. I can flip the seats and clean it out quickly, and my dog LOVES the back section with its own heater. I have just replaced the factory tires which wore out at about 48,000 miles. The air control box did break due to the severe cold we have experienced this winter (-30 degrees). But it was an easy fix by the dealer crew. Fuel economy remains strong as I am a careful driver. Road noise and a slipping mat in the third row are my only negatives.

Still Enjoying My HL After 2 Years!
By Mercy58 on 01/21/08 20:38 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Highlander after test driving a Sienna; found the HL much easier to handle (I have a bad arm, so that's important to me). First Toyota, very pleased; just had 30,000 mile service done with no problems. It drives very well in the snow. Rides great after replacing original tires with good quality Michelins. I find it very easy to maneuver and visibility is good. Paint does scratch easily under door handles. Tranny hesitates a bit shifting down when turning into my steep uphill drive. 3rd row seat okay for children; too small for most adults. Overall I'm very happy with my HL!

So far, so good
By fleetcaptain on 12/16/07 22:33 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have the hybrid. I love this car. Very reliable, no problems at 40k miles. I've towed several trailers over 900 miles each time, no problems.

hesitates, can't be fixed
By matus on 09/27/07 16:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

after 18 months I still can't trust this vehicle to accelerate when I step on the gas. It takes too long to shift, double shifts and hesitates. I've had to change the way I drive so I don't get slammed into. Interior space usage is not very efficient. Buyer's remorse. Toyota, after three trips to dealership says there's nothing wrong with it.

Great But Could Be Better
By Elaine on 05/03/07 08:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Highlander! It is a great vehicle to drive. Comfortable seats. Music is good but should have more speakers in back. Needs air for back also. One of my biggest upsets is the paint job. The paint gets scratched very easy, too easy - I'm not happy about that. She has a beautiful purr.

I love the Highlander!!
By Alanna Otton on 01/13/07 08:34 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have always loved Toyotas, I have had two in the past... they are always reliable! I chose the Highlander for that reason! I was pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage being higher then expected and it handles really well!

Missing refinement
By Buca800 on 01/09/07 10:44 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Solid but plain-Jane SUV. Excellent power train. Comfortable interior. Good layout of instruments and controls. However, it is missing on refinements in the interior. Leather is thin and cheap, wrinkles easily. Hard to clean. Dashboard finish is thin and flakes off if even nicked. Radio antenna is weak and causes poor reception. Too many functions on light and wiper pods, which are unlit and hard to work at night. Cannot see instrument cluster even in daylight conditions. My first Toyota and I'm disappointed with the overall chintziness of interior finishes.

Toyota Highlander
By PatH on 12/28/06 16:36 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I done a lot of research for about 2 months before I purchased a Toyota Highlander. My Chevrolet Trailblazer was wrecked. I decided to go with the Highlander after good remarks on Edmunds.com. I wanted something roomy that got good gas mileage. Love the sunroof & JBL radio system. No one is more picky than I am & I highly recommend this vehicle. Exterior is not as sporty looking as my Trailblazer, but it works fine.

2006 Highlander Limited
By MDellapenn on 12/19/06 18:37 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Highlander Limited, it is a pleasure to drive and easy to handle. The only thing I do not like is the fact it has no trim on the exterior, nothing to break the color up. The comfort on the inside is like driving your living room recliner around. It is great and I love my Highlander.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.