Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Outstanding Reliability
By The Neutralizer

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle after reading many positive reviews. My wife and I are glad we listened to the comments posted here. The HL is an extremely well built vehicle - it has 60K on it and drives like new. We had a Honda Accord before it and was also a great quality vehicle. Made in Japan is the way to go!!!

Favorite Features

Third Row Seat and gas consumption considering it is a good mid size SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Side Air Bags should be standard, which I believe is the case for the 2008 model.

Great Car
By powerpark

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 4 instead of the six. Good Gas mileage , the ride is great and does not lean in the turns. It handles a lot like a car. I have the 2 wheel drive. I think without the extra drag on the drive train we are getting better mpg. As far as snow. The highlander has good ground clearance. And with the good tires and front wheel drive it should be ok. The sunroof is great. But needs a wind deflector. Very nice car. Thanks Toyota!

Favorite Features

We like the Sunroof , the way it rides, and the rear seats. Lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Love this SUV
By Frank

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my 2008 Highlander for this car and loved it the minute I sat in it. Toyota made a mistake making the 08 too big and bulky. The geometry of the earlier Highlander is perfect! Seat comfort, interior ergonomics, transmission, visibility, handling are all perfect. HVAC is not cool enough but this might be a repair issue. Other than that a perfect 10! Getting 21 MPG in mixed driving. Fine for me for a very responsive 6 Cylinder. I got the limited with leather for a great price. Plan to hold on to this car for many years.

Favorite Features

Interior instrumentation, seat comfort, handling, steering, visibility, overall geometry, JBL stereo is fantastic

Suggested Improvements

HVAC not cool enough. Leather quality could be better. But all in all a fantastic well engineered vehicle.

What a feeling-Toyota
By Carolyn

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Went from the 03 RAV4 to the 06 highlander needing a larger SUV-love the highlander almost as much as the RAV. Highlander very quiet, comfortable, responsive steering, powerful engine, gas mileage could be a little better but ok considering its AWD, no problems so far, had for 3 yrs. Looking to downsize so I'm going back to the RAV4.

Favorite Features

The height of the seats and the adjustabilty of them!!

Suggested Improvements

Some of the safety options as a standard feature and better wearing tires

Best car I have ever owned
By Nicolas

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is absolutely an excellent vehicle, I have the base 4cyl. AWD model. with only privacy glass daytime running lights, mudguards, and the TO option which is a larger alternator and radiator. This is an excellent performing vehicle and I have not had to do anything at all in over two years of ownership except change the oil and wiper blades. It is really quite economical. I had one very small problem and that was a slight squeak in front near the air intake and that was fixed very much to my satisfaction by the dealer. As I have said this is a very well built vehicle good quality and craftsmanship. I do not like the size as well of the style of the new Highlander, mine is the best.

Favorite Features

The ride is excellent, as well as the visibility, and handling. My best gas mileage was 25 mpg but I average 22-24 mpg combined highway and city

Suggested Improvements

I just purchased new Goodyear Fortera tires for this vehicle because the original equipment tires didn't provide enough traction for the winters here in Connecticut