2006 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Outstanding Reliability
By The Neutralizer on 07/28/09 07:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle after reading many positive reviews. My wife and I are glad we listened to the comments posted here. The HL is an extremely well built vehicle - it has 60K on it and drives like new. We had a Honda Accord before it and was also a great quality vehicle. Made in Japan is the way to go!!!

Great Car
By powerpark on 06/06/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 4 instead of the six. Good Gas mileage , the ride is great and does not lean in the turns. It handles a lot like a car. I have the 2 wheel drive. I think without the extra drag on the drive train we are getting better mpg. As far as snow. The highlander has good ground clearance. And with the good tires and front wheel drive it should be ok. The sunroof is great. But needs a wind deflector. Very nice car. Thanks Toyota!

Love this SUV
By Frank on 04/28/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my 2008 Highlander for this car and loved it the minute I sat in it. Toyota made a mistake making the 08 too big and bulky. The geometry of the earlier Highlander is perfect! Seat comfort, interior ergonomics, transmission, visibility, handling are all perfect. HVAC is not cool enough but this might be a repair issue. Other than that a perfect 10! Getting 21 MPG in mixed driving. Fine for me for a very responsive 6 Cylinder. I got the limited with leather for a great price. Plan to hold on to this car for many years.

What a feeling-Toyota
By Carolyn on 03/20/09 22:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Went from the 03 RAV4 to the 06 highlander needing a larger SUV-love the highlander almost as much as the RAV. Highlander very quiet, comfortable, responsive steering, powerful engine, gas mileage could be a little better but ok considering its AWD, no problems so far, had for 3 yrs. Looking to downsize so I'm going back to the RAV4.

Best car I have ever owned
By Nicolas on 12/15/08 10:39 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is absolutely an excellent vehicle, I have the base 4cyl. AWD model. with only privacy glass daytime running lights, mudguards, and the TO option which is a larger alternator and radiator. This is an excellent performing vehicle and I have not had to do anything at all in over two years of ownership except change the oil and wiper blades. It is really quite economical. I had one very small problem and that was a slight squeak in front near the air intake and that was fixed very much to my satisfaction by the dealer. As I have said this is a very well built vehicle good quality and craftsmanship. I do not like the size as well of the style of the new Highlander, mine is the best.

Ex-Jeep owner
By Love my Toyota on 08/15/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Love my Toyota. Used to own 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years, but quality and customer service deteriorated over the years. Purchased a Lexus GX 470 for the wife and loved it. Purchased a Highlander for myself. Nice how that works huh? After 47,000, no issues, just changed the engine oil every 5,000 miles, transmission fluid and tires. I will stick with the Toyota family of cars/trucks for good.

Great vehicle; legendary Toyota quality
By Beachsixpack on 07/01/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle. Love the nav, leather seats, climate control, sunroof, nothing but good things to say. Gas mileage could be better, average 23-25 highway, about 20 around town.

Hesitation
By Linda on 05/17/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Toyota, 2nd HL. 1st HL was a 2002 4cyl. Loved it so much that we decided to upgrade to a 2006 6 cyl Limited model. Boy what a mistake. It has no more power than the 4 cyl & the way it drives & shifts is such a disappointment. When I slow down it jerks like I missed a gear and then when you go to accelerate, there is such a hesitation that you don't know if it is going to go or just die. It really scares me when I'm in traffic. I've told the service dept about this for two years. 1st they said nothing was wrong, then they said it was a flaw in the chip & they had a new update that would fix that. That didn't work. Now they say it is normal & that that's the way it brain works.

So So SUV
By bobby04 on 05/08/08 22:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in 2006 for my wife. After about 2 months we realized that this vehicle is not for us. It has the V6 but is very underpowered. It will hardly get out of it's own way. The seating is very uncomfortable. The most disappointing feature for us is the traction control feature. This cannot be turned off. While in light sand at the beach, the traction control locked up all wheels with the brakes as the wheels wanted to spin. This also happened in an icy condition last winter. Very disappointing. The quality of the vehicle is typical Toyota. It will probably outlast us all. If you are considering a Highlander, think about how you will use it and what your expectations are.

Wonderful Car
By ToyLuv on 04/22/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It has been more than 2 years since we purchased this SUV and still totally happy with it. No problems to report to date and still runs just like it did when new. More refined and quieter than our previous Acura MDX. Not to mention a lot better on gas. It gets 22 mpg in mixed driving the Acura only got 16 mpg. Only thing I want more is the Lexus RX's styling, maybe in a few years I will trade it in, but for now still happily motoring even after 34k miles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.