Used 2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Most Helpful|
Most boring & best vehicle I have owned
By Andy S.

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our Highlander has been nothing but flawless. Not a single warranty issue and it does an excellent job as our family vehicle. The only thing I would have done different was not get the 3rd row seat. It was never used once in the almost 4 years I have owned it. Also, if you want to buy a first generation Highlander, I highly recommend getting a 2005-2007 model. This was after the Minor Model change and the interior is much better than the 2004 and earlier models.

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive is not as good as an Audi or Subaru, but it still does a great job when it snows. The JBL stereo is also a nice upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

The only downside is the engine. The 3.3L V6 is adequate (in both power and fuel economy), but the new 3.5L V6 and 2.4L/2.5L I4 engines Toyota has now are so much better.

Defective cylinder head bolt threads
By sorrynow

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this as a new vehicle and have been very pleased with it until today. We found out that we have a leak that can only be fixed by a $5000 bandaide that Toyota has defined in Toyota's techincal bulletin T-SB-0015-11. The bolt holes in the cylinder block must be tapped to install an insert to hold new bolts. We now have to find a way to replace this vehicle! So much for Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

spend 25,000 on this vehicle and toyota won"t stand behind it ?

Transmission SUCKS!! You've been warned
By rydergirl

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has shuddered while accellerating since we bought it and on our road trip has us stranded now in Virginia because the transmission is messing up. The car surges forward and tries to drop gears while accelerating. The car jerks very hard and comes to a complete stop in the highway! I've seen many reviews saying they have the same problem!! I'm missing college and work and cant afford this fix and according to reviews it is a widespread problem with this particular vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable

Suggested Improvements

RELIABLE TRANSMISSION

Still love it 6 years later
By mmaddage

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased Jan. 2006 at the time my requirement was back seat size, trunk space, side curtain air bags and great than 20 MPG. This brought us to the Toyota Highlander. It has been FANTASTIC for our family. I travel an average of 25,000 miles a year and have NO real complaints. I still when I get in say "i love this car". No major mechanical issues at all! Just routine maintenance. Change the oil every 5-7,000 miles - it is perfect.

Favorite Features

Visibility Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Interior is pretty plain. I am not a plain girl. But this is the ONLY suggestion.. that is amazing.

2006 Highlander Nice choice
By gary

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Typical good Toyota quality, interior very bland and plain, small armrest, 3rd seat is so small it is unusable Smooth running, great in the snow. with 4WD Overpriced compared to other similar SUV But is a good vehicle with no problems so far.

Suggested Improvements

more room in 3rd seat, rear seat ventilation controls,