Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Still love it 3 yrs later!
By toyotalover

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Toyota and I love driving it now as much as I did at first. Always dependable, no problems whatsoever. I like the tight steering, low turning radius... drives like a car. Easy to handle, even when loaded with weight. 4 cyl. is plenty of power for me. Big enough for my 6'2 stocky husband. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed city/hwy driving... wish it was more, but hey, I can't complain. I love this vehicle.

dependable! hugs the road, easy to park, comfortable on trips

better MPG, lower price

Great Car
By powerpark

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 4 instead of the six. Good Gas mileage , the ride is great and does not lean in the turns. It handles a lot like a car. I have the 2 wheel drive. I think without the extra drag on the drive train we are getting better mpg. As far as snow. The highlander has good ground clearance. And with the good tires and front wheel drive it should be ok. The sunroof is great. But needs a wind deflector. Very nice car. Thanks Toyota!

We like the Sunroof , the way it rides, and the rear seats. Lots of room.

Nothing.

Almost there
By Pedro

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander in July. It was a good purchase but a little more than I could afford - dealers have a way of making you spend more than you should. I love the color and the smell of the car although I bought it used with only 8700 miles. The ride is good but a little noisy - it may be wind noise when the windows are down. Gas mileage seems pretty good but not as good as I was promised. I drive mostly in the city and get about 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. I have a large family and needed the extra seating. The rear seat is a little cramped for my older ones but it is OK for my younger kids. I hope this is a reliable car.

I like having air conditioning and a radio. We chose this car for the built in DVD player.

I think that this car rides too high. I would like to see it lowered about 5 inches. Its hard for my mother to enter the car.

Best SUV value
By Barbara F

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV late June after considering multiple sedans and other model SUVs. I test drove the Highlander and instantly fell in love with the drive and comfort. So far, gas mileage is OK (haven't really officially clocked city and highway) and the air conditioning system is great! (Cools the car within seconds.) Overall, this car is a great value for the money. The 4 cylinder engine has enough pep for both highway and city driving so I didn't see a need to purchase the V6 model.

Very comfortable drive, air conditioning system, good dashboard controls

Better storage in front, better radio sound quality

Best Value for the money
By Tom P

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not many 4 cyl SUVs drive and have the ride this one does. I get great gas mileage (25+) I also liked the feature that this suv is rated to tow a 3,000 lb trailer. I was impressed by that because most of the crossover suvs can only tow 1,000 lbs. The brakes could stop on a dime.

Brakes, reliability, utility.