2006 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Still love it 3 yrs later!
By toyotalover on 01/06/10 19:02 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Toyota and I love driving it now as much as I did at first. Always dependable, no problems whatsoever. I like the tight steering, low turning radius... drives like a car. Easy to handle, even when loaded with weight. 4 cyl. is plenty of power for me. Big enough for my 6'2 stocky husband. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed city/hwy driving... wish it was more, but hey, I can't complain. I love this vehicle.

Great Car
By powerpark on 06/06/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 4 instead of the six. Good Gas mileage , the ride is great and does not lean in the turns. It handles a lot like a car. I have the 2 wheel drive. I think without the extra drag on the drive train we are getting better mpg. As far as snow. The highlander has good ground clearance. And with the good tires and front wheel drive it should be ok. The sunroof is great. But needs a wind deflector. Very nice car. Thanks Toyota!

Almost there
By Pedro on 10/21/06 05:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander in July. It was a good purchase but a little more than I could afford - dealers have a way of making you spend more than you should. I love the color and the smell of the car although I bought it used with only 8700 miles. The ride is good but a little noisy - it may be wind noise when the windows are down. Gas mileage seems pretty good but not as good as I was promised. I drive mostly in the city and get about 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. I have a large family and needed the extra seating. The rear seat is a little cramped for my older ones but it is OK for my younger kids. I hope this is a reliable car.

Best SUV value
By Barbara F on 08/01/06 12:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV late June after considering multiple sedans and other model SUVs. I test drove the Highlander and instantly fell in love with the drive and comfort. So far, gas mileage is OK (haven't really officially clocked city and highway) and the air conditioning system is great! (Cools the car within seconds.) Overall, this car is a great value for the money. The 4 cylinder engine has enough pep for both highway and city driving so I didn't see a need to purchase the V6 model.

Best Value for the money
By Tom P on 07/15/06 08:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not many 4 cyl SUVs drive and have the ride this one does. I get great gas mileage (25+) I also liked the feature that this suv is rated to tow a 3,000 lb trailer. I was impressed by that because most of the crossover suvs can only tow 1,000 lbs. The brakes could stop on a dime.

Nice SUV for the money, only two changes
By Mark on 07/12/06 11:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very good vehicle for the money. Ride is very comfortable. Fun to drive. 4 cyl. is not lacking in power. I'm sure 6 cyl. is more powerful, but I chose better gas mileage. So far getting 25.3 MPG highway using air conditioning. Two things could be better. Front seats are too short. Doesn't support my legs as well as my old Explorer. Otherwise, seats are very comfortable. Steering wheel only tilts a little. Explorer steering wheel tilt had greater range of movement and I liked the lower position. Highlander steering wheel doesn't go low enough for me.

The first 1500 miles.
By Brandon on 07/11/06 09:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased a Toyota Highlander the last week of June, 2006. We got the base model with the 2.4L 4-cyl. engine, which has very good performance. We have no problems with highway driving or acceleration. I haven't owned it long enough to give hard mileage estimates, but it looks like the 22/27 or so on the sticker is accurate with 87 octane. The backseat is VERY roomy. The ride is terrific when compared to other SUVs in this segment, being based on the Camry. There's no 'rollover' feeling at all when changing lanes at highway speeds. The turning radius is incredibly small for its size. Being based on a Camry, I expect to own this car for at least 150,000 miles.

Great SUV
By Dave on 06/23/06 04:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While we've only owned our new HL for a few days, we have fallen instantly in love with it. It's a great mid- size SUV. We opted for the FWD 4-cyl for fuel economy reasons and I have a 4x4 if needed. It's very comfortable, the 4-cyl provide adequate power and fairly quiet on the road. So far, no complaints.

Best SUV for small family
By TXTWOLF on 05/09/06 19:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have 3 dogs and one baby. I have had a few suvs (Ford Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer, Jeep Cheerokee, and Toyota Highlander) and this one is the best all around. We got the 4 cyl. for better gas milage and it is great. We live in the burbs and have no need for a 4x4 but want the flexibility of an suv. This is by far the best suv out there, we test drove the pilot and loved it, but kept coming back to the highlander and have never looked back. Great, great fun little suv!

Great ride for the money
By Mark in Geneva IL on 03/26/06 06:57 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Toyota from a long history of Honda’s. So far so good. We’re impressed with the build quality and ride quality as well. We love the easy to use gauges, and ergonomic design of the cabin. The rear seat area is very comfortable and large, we don’t have the 3rd row seat. We opted for the 4 cyl. engine after driving the V6 we couldn’t justify another $2K for the minimal difference in performance. The dealership is offering some great incentives with the redesigned 2007 around the corner.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.