Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Quality goes a long way
By easyrider

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the SUV new at the time this SUV was made in Japan 90%, 10% in the states. The trk {SUV} is good on gas especially with the K & N air filter I put in the air compartment, and get up an go power. More than any v-8. This SUV has 3.3 V6, people said was slow but with this air filter it acts like a race engine. I bought the 2 wd drive for towing my boat of 18' of which it pulls out of the water with a full tank. Mind you NO 4 WD drive. Actually would like a hybrid high. for future. Hybrids are a needed thing the way Gasoline is heading. Not 25 cent a gallon anymore.

All is good, really no favorites.

Love this SUV
By Frank

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my 2008 Highlander for this car and loved it the minute I sat in it. Toyota made a mistake making the 08 too big and bulky. The geometry of the earlier Highlander is perfect! Seat comfort, interior ergonomics, transmission, visibility, handling are all perfect. HVAC is not cool enough but this might be a repair issue. Other than that a perfect 10! Getting 21 MPG in mixed driving. Fine for me for a very responsive 6 Cylinder. I got the limited with leather for a great price. Plan to hold on to this car for many years.

Interior instrumentation, seat comfort, handling, steering, visibility, overall geometry, JBL stereo is fantastic

HVAC not cool enough. Leather quality could be better. But all in all a fantastic well engineered vehicle.

Hesitation
By Linda

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Toyota, 2nd HL. 1st HL was a 2002 4cyl. Loved it so much that we decided to upgrade to a 2006 6 cyl Limited model. Boy what a mistake. It has no more power than the 4 cyl & the way it drives & shifts is such a disappointment. When I slow down it jerks like I missed a gear and then when you go to accelerate, there is such a hesitation that you don't know if it is going to go or just die. It really scares me when I'm in traffic. I've told the service dept about this for two years. 1st they said nothing was wrong, then they said it was a flaw in the chip & they had a new update that would fix that. That didn't work. Now they say it is normal & that that's the way it brain works.

I love the size, lots of leg room for small SUV, great gas mileage, leather seats are comfortable and I think its overall appearance is great.

Please do something about the driving hesitation and I think it would be the perfect vehicle.

Wonderful Car
By ToyLuv

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It has been more than 2 years since we purchased this SUV and still totally happy with it. No problems to report to date and still runs just like it did when new. More refined and quieter than our previous Acura MDX. Not to mention a lot better on gas. It gets 22 mpg in mixed driving the Acura only got 16 mpg. Only thing I want more is the Lexus RX's styling, maybe in a few years I will trade it in, but for now still happily motoring even after 34k miles.

Refined ride, quiet and smooth, very detailed interior, great quality, Toyota reliability, decent gas mileage for this type of vehicle.

Exterior styling too subtle.

Great SUV
By Proud owner

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for almost two years, haven't had anything go wrong (knock on wood!). My first Toyota, I tried the RAV and a Buick Rendevous. The RAV seemed a tad too small, the Buick my husband didn't like. The size is perfect for us--just two but two dogs, one large, one medium, can both fit in the back seat, have plenty of cargo space left in back. Haven't used the third seat but wanted in case of emergency. Would agree good only for children. Rides smooth, easy to drive as a car, but the better and higher visibility of an SUV. Overall very satisfied and figure this to be a 10 yr vehicle.

Heated seats-first vehicle with them and won't go without again. Great first and second row leg room. Good visibility out of the rear, easy to manuever in and out of parking lots, versatile hauling capabilities with the ability to lay down both 2nd and 3rd of seats. Large glove box and console.

Third row seat could be larger and easier to access (done on 08). Seats could be a little longer. Air vents to the back seats (dog gets warm!).