2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Transmission SUCKS!! You've been warned
By rydergirl on 10/02/12 15:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has shuddered while accellerating since we bought it and on our road trip has us stranded now in Virginia because the transmission is messing up. The car surges forward and tries to drop gears while accelerating. The car jerks very hard and comes to a complete stop in the highway! I've seen many reviews saying they have the same problem!! I'm missing college and work and cant afford this fix and according to reviews it is a widespread problem with this particular vehicle.

Still love it 6 years later
By mmaddage on 09/22/12 12:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased Jan. 2006 at the time my requirement was back seat size, trunk space, side curtain air bags and great than 20 MPG. This brought us to the Toyota Highlander. It has been FANTASTIC for our family. I travel an average of 25,000 miles a year and have NO real complaints. I still when I get in say "i love this car". No major mechanical issues at all! Just routine maintenance. Change the oil every 5-7,000 miles - it is perfect.

Defective cylinder head bolt threads
By sorrynow on 02/15/12 21:09 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this as a new vehicle and have been very pleased with it until today. We found out that we have a leak that can only be fixed by a $5000 bandaide that Toyota has defined in Toyota's techincal bulletin T-SB-0015-11. The bolt holes in the cylinder block must be tapped to install an insert to hold new bolts. We now have to find a way to replace this vehicle! So much for Toyota!

2006 Highlander Nice choice
By gary on 03/15/10 19:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Typical good Toyota quality, interior very bland and plain, small armrest, 3rd seat is so small it is unusable Smooth running, great in the snow. with 4WD Overpriced compared to other similar SUV But is a good vehicle with no problems so far.

Whatamistake
By Whatamistake on 02/18/10 01:48 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a '07 Mitsubishi Endeavor and traded with this vehicle for more seating capacity. I thought Toyota is dependable but I was wrong. Something is draining the battery AND brakes travels longer at first stop. I freaked out when it feels my vehicle will not stop. Dreaded when I come back to my vehicle and wondering if it will start. NHTSA has many reports in regards to my brake issue. Toyota have not recall this vehicle and hope it will soon.

Still love it 3 yrs later!
By toyotalover on 01/06/10 19:02 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Toyota and I love driving it now as much as I did at first. Always dependable, no problems whatsoever. I like the tight steering, low turning radius... drives like a car. Easy to handle, even when loaded with weight. 4 cyl. is plenty of power for me. Big enough for my 6'2 stocky husband. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed city/hwy driving... wish it was more, but hey, I can't complain. I love this vehicle.

Most boring & best vehicle I have owned
By Andy S. on 11/20/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our Highlander has been nothing but flawless. Not a single warranty issue and it does an excellent job as our family vehicle. The only thing I would have done different was not get the 3rd row seat. It was never used once in the almost 4 years I have owned it. Also, if you want to buy a first generation Highlander, I highly recommend getting a 2005-2007 model. This was after the Minor Model change and the interior is much better than the 2004 and earlier models.

Nice SUV, but the newer model is nicer
By Brian on 10/27/09 22:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a 2006 Highlander to replace our 2000 Blazer. We chose to go with the Highlander because we wanted improved fuel economy, but still with a V6/4WD combination. We also were impressed with the safety ratings on the Highlander. Now, the Blazer was OUTSTANDING in the snow, and only time will tell if the Highlander will do well in the snow too. The power delivery from the V6 was better than I expected, but having also test-driven a 2008 model (expensive) it lags in comparison. The transmission is seamlessly smooth, and the suspension in the Sport package makes the vehicle more fun to drive. The third row really only provides adequate room for children, but it is nice to have.

Quality goes a long way
By easyrider on 08/11/09 21:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the SUV new at the time this SUV was made in Japan 90%, 10% in the states. The trk {SUV} is good on gas especially with the K & N air filter I put in the air compartment, and get up an go power. More than any v-8. This SUV has 3.3 V6, people said was slow but with this air filter it acts like a race engine. I bought the 2 wd drive for towing my boat of 18' of which it pulls out of the water with a full tank. Mind you NO 4 WD drive. Actually would like a hybrid high. for future. Hybrids are a needed thing the way Gasoline is heading. Not 25 cent a gallon anymore.

Love My Car
By Renita on 07/29/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in September of 2006 and have loved it from day one. Would highly recommend it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.