2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: I miss my Jeep

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

I miss my Jeep
By Andy on

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Poor handling on snow/ice. Back end wants to come around front. Brakes tend to grab when you slow down from 60 to 50. Brakes also seem like you are not going to stop. After cold start up occasionally the brake pedal goes to the floor. Dealer says nothing wrong. Overly sensitive handling at higher speeds. No tinting-Sun gets really hot. Brake pedal to steering wheel distance is weird. To adjust seat for comfort to brake pedal, you have to extend arms to reach steering wheel, causing fatigue. I have short legs. NOT for someone with longer legs. 3rd seat is for people 30 lbs or less. Rear door window will not open separately. Light cloth interior gets dirty easily. Very sensitive driver window.

Power and acceleration is fantastic. Great visibility out windows. Easy to parallel park. Dry road handling is very good except for sensitive steering at higher speeds. I got 18mpg at 75mph on long trip with A/C on.

Split upper and lower rear hatch. Make handling on ice as good as Jeep Grand Cherokee. Fix distance from brake pedal to seat, to steering wheel. More comfortable seats. Availability of darker upholstery to resist dirt.