2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: I like it more every day!!!

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

I like it more every day!!!
By EWeber on

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Camry SE V6 for my 4 cyl Highlander. At first I was concerned about not having sufficient power, but I have been pleasantly surprized by the acceleration. I find the seats comfortable and the visibility is excellent. My son has a 4 Runner and it rides like a buckboard compared to the Highlander. The ride is very similar to my Camry SE. There is an abundance of room for hauling passengers and cargo. Gas mileage has exceeded expectations and should only improve as the engine gets a few more miles on it. It handles very well and is considerably more stable in maneuvers than a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tested. This is my third Toyota and I expect reliability to be great.

Ride, handling, visibility. Some people say they wish the Highlander had better styling, but I disagree. I think the Highlander has classic lines that will not lose their panache with age.

The sunglass holder, change tray and center console storage feel somewhat flimsy. I wish the steering wheel telescoped. When my legs are comfortable, the steering wheel is about an inch too far away. Minor things that have not diminished my my positive impressions of the Highlander.