2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Highlander - perfect reliabili

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

V6 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic w/3rd Row)

Highlander - perfect reliability 5 years
By Dave - Kansas city on

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Highlander brand new, and it has performed absolutely perfectly for 5+ years. I replaced a headlight last year, otherwise perfect. Very comfortable to drive, quiet on the highway, zero build defects, the V6 is adequate if not a neck-snapper, but with very good fuel economy (27 on the highway, 21 around town). The styling is a bit bland, but as an engineer I appreciate how well it is built. I have owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and both have been exteremly good. But when I replace this Highlander, I certainly drive a new Highlander first.

Build quality is very high, plenty of room to haul things like my telescopes and huge model airplanes. Great milage, very comfortable seats and controls. Quiet on the highway. And did I mention a perfect maintenance record?

The newer (2010) Highlanders have improved the styling substantially. But it is still not fancy.