Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Quality gone bye bye.
By sdcatoydriver05

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has had noises since it was bought. Brake muffler on master cylinder installed wrong, vibration on acceleration. Took 3 days to find problem. Recall on retainer clip for floor mats. Recently steering makes clicking and felt like parts are loose. Car went in twice and took 10 days to fix. Steering shaft had to be replaced it was defective. Rear doors rattle when car is warm. Two trips to find problem. This is the 5th toyota I have owned. Never had these type of things happen on the others. So much for toyota quality when put together.

Rides smooth, handles well.

Quality.

satisfied
By mary harrell

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

our highlander has been very dependable. weve driven it to atlantic city a few time. its a very smooth ride, and comfortable. we havent had any problems with it.we would reccomend this vehicle to any one.its very good on hills. we bought the toyota highlander,because we didnt like not being able to see. we owned the toyota camry,before the highlander.it was hard to see the traffic ahead,because of all the suv;s and trucks in front of us. we are completely satisfied sincerely mary harrell somerville,nj

Major Disappointment
By criticalbob

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Five speed transmission is rather rough. First gear is especially useless - you could push the car faster off the line. Handling is mediocre at best, as the car seems heavy and clumsy. Also, like a car equipped with an old fashioned carburetor, it often seems to hesitate and stumble. Gas mileage has been a major disappointment. As one other reviewer noted, the paint can be scratched with a fingernail. Of the three Toyotas I have owned, this is the first one that will be traded after only three years. Seems very overpriced for what you get, so it will be interesting to see what the trade-in value will be.

Interior is fairly comfortable, although the seats could be better.

Toyota needs a better AWD system. Living in the snowbelt, it annoys me to have to push a button to lock in traction that is not as good as what was automatic on my old Forester.

Highlander 2005
By SUZ

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the greatest vehicle that I have owned. Its fun to drive, very comfortable and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had several different vehicles including 3 SUVs and I love this one the best. Having the 3rd row is like a bonus. We don't use it much but it is nice to know its there if we need it.

Everything - I love my truck.

Toy 05
By Dave

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best built vehicle ever owned, perfect for many many needs.

Fit and finish overall. I love the auto up driver's window, really handy. The V-6 is awesome too, great on gas and power. The 2nd and third seats easily fold away.

Make the outside temperature read standard.

• SUV