Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Highlander 2005
By SUZ

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the greatest vehicle that I have owned. Its fun to drive, very comfortable and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had several different vehicles including 3 SUVs and I love this one the best. Having the 3rd row is like a bonus. We don't use it much but it is nice to know its there if we need it.

Everything - I love my truck.

Toy 05
By Dave

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best built vehicle ever owned, perfect for many many needs.

Fit and finish overall. I love the auto up driver's window, really handy. The V-6 is awesome too, great on gas and power. The 2nd and third seats easily fold away.

Make the outside temperature read standard.

Nice but not perfect
By Maurice

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the overall package but have a couple of issues. About 6 months after I bought my Highlander, the driver's side weatherstrip came off at the bottom of the door. Toyota issued a Technical Service Bulletin about it (see edmunds.com Maintenance, Recalls, and TSBs) so it must be a fairly common problem. Closing the sunroof completely is a guessing game. If you hold the button too long the roof tilts up. I've also noticed an excessive amount of wind noise on the highway, which was addressed in another Toyota TSB. To me those are fairly minor issues. Would I still buy one? Probably so.

Disappointed
By rdibella

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1) Significant, frequent and dangerous hesitation problem (reminiscent of an out-of-adjustment carburetor in the old days). 2) Rough shifting transmission; shifts at odd rpm levels. 3) Annoying rear hatch door rattle. 4) Rough starting at unpredictable times. 5) Difficult to moderate AC/heat with the standard controls. 6) Other trivial items that, in the past, would have never been associated with a Toyota product.

Very nice ride. Good visibility.

Re-design shift program and re-program engine

What is Missing
By Stuart Goldfine

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Wish the car had a temperature gauge for outside temp. Also another cup holder on left side of steering wheel. Also with the cloth seats on the V-6, you do not get a CD player holding 6 discs.

Quiet transmission; comfortable seating good acceleration.

Cup holder on left side of steering wheel; also an outside temperature gauge; a CD player that holds 6 discs.