2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
WOW Awesome SUV
By PAT on 09/15/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is an awesome SUV. I wanted an RX330 but glad I chose the Highlander for its looks, reliability and performance. Feel like a dream when I drive this SUV. It is spaceous, comfortable and floats on air. Love it!!

Smooth Highlander
By Shania Jackson on 09/01/05 08:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's like I'm driving a smooth toyota car but I'm sitting up higher. It maneuvers smoothly around NYC corners and it's easy to transport the elderly in it.

Our traveler
By stan on 08/22/05 08:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the Highlander in February. It's only used as a family car. Since owning it we have taken it from Maine to Florida and have had no problems at all. The back seat became a little cramped for our 2 children ages 11 and 14 however we did make use of a luggage carrier and that did help a lot. We have never used the third row seat. I find it a pleasure to drive with plenty of power. It did take little while to learn the switches. The limited off-road capability is to be taken seriously. I have gotten it stuck twice in sand and have determined that I would have been better served in a 4-runner only because of my off-road demands. Overall I would consider it a wonderful vehicle.

Not A Bad Drive
By MCavallu on 08/17/05 17:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle mainly because of an earlier family purchase of a Celica back in 1985 when my 2 brothers & I beat the heck out of it. This version however isn't exactly what I expected. First, the paint had chips at delivery, then one fog light was out & EVER since I owned it, the automatic shift isn't so fluid & the city gas mileage isn't near the "average" at all. A/C on a hot day just doesn't get cold enough! The car is indeed fun to drive but the driver's seat seems to tilt too forward almost making one feel like they're falling off the seat. Having said all of these things, I still feel it's a good, highly rated, vehicle.

Great vehicle
By Gina on 08/11/05 15:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We did a lot of researching before buying this car. I used to own a 1994 Corolla and was scared this would be a difficult transition. I have been very impressed with the car so far. The fuel economy is not that bad. I average about 22 miles per gallon. The ride is very smooth and the the car handling is impressive.

Big Mistake
By morris on 08/10/05 22:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The research described the Highlander as a very good vehicle. I am dissappointed and trying to cut my losses. I moved to WV a couple of years ago and got tired of bottoming out my 2001 Volvo V70 T5 (100,000 mi). The Hylander has difficulty excellerating on the hills, the brakes grab, the cruise control is jerky and shifts into overdrive frequently (dealer says its fine), the plastic components are light weight and fall off, poor ventilation to the back seat area, seat heaters are inadequate, road noise is excessive, a recent stone 'star' to the windshield revealed a single piece of glass. I do not feel safe and I can't believe I spent the money. My Chevy 2500HD diesel is better.

Not So Great
By Dag on 08/03/05 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This Highlander I bough in June of 2005. Until the middle of july, this car was great. Then, a few things went wrong which the toyota dealer said it was an "abnormal configuration". I will tell you what went wrong. The disc brakes failed at a stop light and I slid into the car infront of me. The air bags deployed and I didn't get hurt. Then once i got it fixed, the antenna fell off. This vehicle after that was preaty good. The interior design is preaty boring and could use some spicing up. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Having a Chevy Venture before this, and having a accident in it before I got rid of it, the highlander looks much and is much better. It is also VERY comfortable.

I like it more every day!!!
By EWeber on 08/03/05 04:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Camry SE V6 for my 4 cyl Highlander. At first I was concerned about not having sufficient power, but I have been pleasantly surprized by the acceleration. I find the seats comfortable and the visibility is excellent. My son has a 4 Runner and it rides like a buckboard compared to the Highlander. The ride is very similar to my Camry SE. There is an abundance of room for hauling passengers and cargo. Gas mileage has exceeded expectations and should only improve as the engine gets a few more miles on it. It handles very well and is considerably more stable in maneuvers than a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tested. This is my third Toyota and I expect reliability to be great.

Best SUV
By Julie on 07/30/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If there is anyone who has never owned a toyota, now is the time to try one. I once owned a toyota camry and upgraded to the highlander. Driving the highlander is just like driving a camry. The drive is smooth and operates just like a car. The gas consumption is decent I usally can get about 350 miles to a full tank. This car is equiped with up to date safety features. As a mom I would highly recommend the highlander to other women who value safety when looking for a car. I have only has this suv for 8 months now but I have been driving with toyota for over 8 years now and I truly believe they make the most reliable vehicles.

I agree
By Roxy101 on 07/27/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree the seats are very uncomfortable after driving for about 1 hour. I am 5'7 and I feel cramped. When I test droved I felt comfortable. This is not a good car for long trips. I plan to trade this car. I've only had it for 1 month not satisfied. I read the reviews and did not believe about the loud noise with the rear windows down. The noise is terrible. So from now on out I will believe and add car reviews from consumers on this post. I have the 4cyc. gas mileage is better than the Ford explorer I traded but gas mileage is not what promised. I will keep checking and adding and dividing my gas mileage. Can not get good epa I have to run the air. Due to noise with windows down