2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great reliable vehicle with a good price
By mshw777 on 11/05/05 10:25 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Toyota I've purchased in 7 years because of my wonderful experience with our 98' 4Runner (which we stil own). Reliability and value drove us to buy another Toyota - glad we did! The 05' Highlander w/4cyl is very smooth and responsive. Gas mileage is a bit off (20/25) as compared to the sticker (22/27) but it's still new. Comfort is outstanding; 3rd row is very nice to have. Overall, a smooth and reliable vehicle... no regrets. Pricing was very good for what I got...

So sorry I bought it!!
By Not a fan on 11/05/05 07:50 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Gas mileage not as advertised. Most uncomfortable front seat!! Too short for people with longer legs. Arm rests do not fall in the proper place for people with wide shoulders. For all its bells and whistles, doesn't have automatic locks (when engaging transmission) which I had on my prior 10 year old car and I consider a big personal safety factor. Poor design on console. Wasted space underneath cup holders. Cover on console opens with weight of pocketbook... very annoying. Doors do not close easily... must be slammed to engage lock. Gas cap release in awkward position. Must open door and unlock seat belt to reach. Doesn't have "Miles to Go" on its Info button, which was very handy.

My First new car
By spindry on 10/29/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Firstly, my last car was a '95 minivan. The HL handles better than the minivan, its mileage, however, is about the same: 14 mpg city (NYC) and 20 mpg HW. I do not accelerate quickly. It brakes and control is far superior!!

I miss my Jeep
By Andy on 10/16/05 18:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Poor handling on snow/ice. Back end wants to come around front. Brakes tend to grab when you slow down from 60 to 50. Brakes also seem like you are not going to stop. After cold start up occasionally the brake pedal goes to the floor. Dealer says nothing wrong. Overly sensitive handling at higher speeds. No tinting-Sun gets really hot. Brake pedal to steering wheel distance is weird. To adjust seat for comfort to brake pedal, you have to extend arms to reach steering wheel, causing fatigue. I have short legs. NOT for someone with longer legs. 3rd seat is for people 30 lbs or less. Rear door window will not open separately. Light cloth interior gets dirty easily. Very sensitive driver window.

Great all around vehicle
By Alan on 10/16/05 11:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Rides just as well as our Camry XLS and has cargo space to boot. Driver position is good, not too low or too high. Good compomise vehiclem with best features of a sedan and a SUV. Good gas mileage for a SUV.

Awesome Highlander
By Kay on 10/08/05 18:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Handles well, tight on corners, power from the standstill, it plows through snow w/o skidding or bogging down.

My excellent highlander
By Allan Franklin on 10/04/05 09:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent ride, very comfortable, lots of cargo space, great mileage on recent trip to Dayton, Ohio in range of 35/36 mpg at 110km/hr average. Smooth ride. Overall an excellent vehicle.

My FIrst new car
By spindry on 10/03/05 18:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Well, it is not a car, and not an SUV. Its fuel is 16 NY city, 22 HW (best). Seems I need to go to the dealer for even a simple oil change to avoid problems... that really stinks... no more 30 min oil changes, now it's 2-4 hours at a dealer. Some minor assembly defects (e.g., some wires are too short and plastic in rear left wheel well deformed), it came with a spare that has a melted sidewall, impossible so far to find so called tow prewire in rear... toyota itself was no help when I called and asked about it.

quality
By morrison on 09/21/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a mini van to limited Highlander. I have watched and wanted one for while. Love the comfort and style. We got leather, and love it. Also like the stereo.

Outstanding vehicle
By Ken Andersen on 09/19/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So far it's a perfect vehicle, and very enjoyable. Very nice fit and quality of construction.