Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Satisfied At First
By jlt

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a highlander after reading hundreds of reviews. I was looking for a reliable vehicle this time around. From the first day I bought it, the transmission skipped. The dealership continues to tell me that this is how Toyotas perform. Recently we took the vehicle on vacation and upon returning, we had to have the transmission seal replaced because of a transmission fluid leak. One tire is bad and when rotated, they placed it on the back of the vehicle, so not I need to have that replaced. I only have 25K miles on the car, so I am becoming a skeptic. I love the looks of the car and the interior. It may be time to trade-in, but not sure I would buy a Toyota again - just not sure.

interior, silver color, features on the vehicle, size and also gets good gas mileage for an SUV - performs well in snow

transmission skips, very noisy when driving

Pack Up/Gas Up/Giddy Up
By FireFighter6928

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Cutting to the chase: MPG, appearance interior & exterior, comfort, electric windows, door locks, a/c are all excellent.

Very satisfied
By jarcros

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've bought this suv a month ago and love it. Traded in my 03 highlander b/c it didn't have 3rd row. The 05 has a lot smoother acceleration and the leather interior looks nice. Only complaint is the sunroof. First it's annoying that you have to hold the button in order for it to move. I assume this is a safety feature, but it's still annoying. Second, it is difficult to find the "closed" spot. If you keep holding the button trying to make sure it closes securely, it will tilt up. In the old highlander all I had to do was gently depress the button and it would open or close all the way

Heated leather, steering wheel controls, stereo, 3rd row, AWD

Fix the sunroof button

This car fits me fine!
By DS

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first SUV. I fought with the Camry; I'm tall & that car was too low and hard getting in and out. The Highlander just "fits" me. I love being above the sedans and eye-to-eye with SUVs. It is very comfortable to drive. I had some windows limo-tinted providing privacy and better interior temp in summer. Pump sticker shock, yes, but I watch the useful realtime mpg indicator to gauge how I'm driving. Drivers see you when you're coming and don't pull out in front of you as often. Opening rear windows w/o front open = weird noise and eardrum pressure. I plan to have this car 10 years or more, even with the gas prices.

Comfortable ride; lots of room for people and things; easy turning radius; realtime mpg indicator; front seat warmers; extra power outlet in front; auto-up front driver window; pockets on doors and behind seats; separate fold down middle seats; reliability; fit and finish. CD/tape/radio combo.

Acceleration lag should be fixed; more cup holders in front; heat shouldn't need AC to keep windows clear; back-up camera; optional luggage rack to improve gas mileage; fix that weird noise event when rear windows only are open; make paint less likely to chip.

Happy
By Sue

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, I have had 3 SUVs and 2 were Highlanders. This is the best SUV I have owned. The comfort and handling of this vehicle is very nice. I am very happy with the Highlander Limited.

Comfortable seats, and everything else.

nothing.