Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Quality and Customer Service Failing
By SUV Woes

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander new and I have been disappointed in the quality and customer service since that day. The SUV had rail dust that required several treatments but still exists. My front differential began leaking at 42,000 miles and it was repaired. But at 65,000 miles it is leaking again. Told cost to repair is 1,900 and no break from the dealership or the corp. Factory tires had to be replaced too soon and the rear rotors as well because Toyota installs cheap ones now. I've learned to stay away from Toyota and always buy the extended warranties.

It is now paid off.

Stand behind their quality and customer service. Toyota quality is a joke, buyer beware.

Superb vehicle
By Gus

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic car. I have driven it for the past 3 1/2 years and I have had NO problems at all with this car. When Edmunds said this car was reliable back in 2005, they were on the mark! Please see positives and negatives below.

1) Very very smooth driving. It's like riding on cotton. The steering is soft. Was pretty much identical to the Lexus RX that I test drove. 2) Reliability. No problems with anything, which should be the case with a new car. Great job Toyota.

1) Toyo tires that came with the car were not great in the snow. 2) If you have more than 1 window open, especially the back windows, there is a loud thundering noise which is unbearable. Not sure if fixed this in new model. 3) Cloth seats are hard. I recommend getting leather if possible.

Satisfied At First
By jlt

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a highlander after reading hundreds of reviews. I was looking for a reliable vehicle this time around. From the first day I bought it, the transmission skipped. The dealership continues to tell me that this is how Toyotas perform. Recently we took the vehicle on vacation and upon returning, we had to have the transmission seal replaced because of a transmission fluid leak. One tire is bad and when rotated, they placed it on the back of the vehicle, so not I need to have that replaced. I only have 25K miles on the car, so I am becoming a skeptic. I love the looks of the car and the interior. It may be time to trade-in, but not sure I would buy a Toyota again - just not sure.

interior, silver color, features on the vehicle, size and also gets good gas mileage for an SUV - performs well in snow

transmission skips, very noisy when driving

Pack Up/Gas Up/Giddy Up
By FireFighter6928

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Cutting to the chase: MPG, appearance interior & exterior, comfort, electric windows, door locks, a/c are all excellent.

Very satisfied
By jarcros

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've bought this suv a month ago and love it. Traded in my 03 highlander b/c it didn't have 3rd row. The 05 has a lot smoother acceleration and the leather interior looks nice. Only complaint is the sunroof. First it's annoying that you have to hold the button in order for it to move. I assume this is a safety feature, but it's still annoying. Second, it is difficult to find the "closed" spot. If you keep holding the button trying to make sure it closes securely, it will tilt up. In the old highlander all I had to do was gently depress the button and it would open or close all the way

Heated leather, steering wheel controls, stereo, 3rd row, AWD