2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
The good and the bad (in my opinion)
By Michelle on 04/29/06 20:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A few reasons I decided on the Highlander: Consumer Reports ratings, need for lots of leg room for my 6'9" son, and I needed a larger vehicle than my Honda Civic to accomodate my 250 lb. dog. I really like the Highlander, except that the seats aren't deep enough. I'm 5'11" and have long legs. The edge of the seat hits me in the middle of my thighs. I didn't notice it during the test drive because I wasn't in the car long enough to notice it. I have an hour+ commute to and from work, and my legs become very uncomfortable. The third seat is useless. My 5-year- old niece might fit back there, but no full-size adult could ever fit there comfortably.

No Value
By jeff_marl2000 on 04/26/06 04:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car starts and drives dependably. The ride is smooth and quiet. The power is plenty with the V6 engine. Not much value for the price. A $28,000 car should have chromatic rearview mirror, MUCH better sound system, a computer that tells if your oil, transmission, fluids are ok and gas mileage etc. It should have an outside temperature indicator, and punch buttons on the door if you lock your keys inside. Driving experience is dull (as with all Toyotas). The gas mileage hovers around 16 miles to the gallon. My Explorer gets 19 in town. It's supposed to have trailer prewiring, but it does not. It is an EXTRA cost. I see no value in this car. It is worth about $20,000.

Comfortable Car
By Bruce Noel on 04/22/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Highlander last August and have 17,000 mi. on it. It is extremely comfortable and very intuitive to drive. I had a 1999 BMW 328i and was used to power and handling. This vehicle has excellent power and very good handling compared to the BMW. Obviously not as crisp in a corner but it handles exceptionally well. All the controls are intuitive and the steering releases very smoothly in a corner like the BMW. The arm rest is perfeclty positioned for one hand steering. It is very roomy for the passengers in the first two rows. The third seat is tight but it still is OK for two adults. The gas mileage averages around 20mpg. A little less than I would like, but acceptable.

It's on the name
By Jorge on 03/18/06 09:27 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Feel good when driving and it feels safe also I feel lot better when I know my wife and my little girl are safer when they are driving.

Happy Campers
By Cupid on 03/11/06 08:18 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have only had our Highlander for 7 months but we could not be happier. No problems with performance or engine quality and we changed from V6 minivan to 4 cylinders. Only complaints were with internal finish. We had to have some minor adjustments done to roof molding etc.

15000 Trouble-free miles and counting...
By Pondhockey5 on 03/06/06 10:22 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Smoother ride than several cars we have owned. Handles well for an SUV. Excellent safety features.

2005 v64wd highlander
By anna on 03/03/06 10:26 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my highlander after considering size, saftey, gas milage,and reliability as compared to other suv's. The size is perfect for me-not too big, not too small. There is plenty of room for hauling-took 2 kids to college in it. It's very nice to drive, but the transmission is sluggish when starting out. Also, I previously had an explorer, and the seats in it were much more comfortable. It's a pleasure to drive- it's very quiet and smooth-sort of like gliding through the air! It handles very well around bends etc, and is easy even for me to park!

A Great Highlander
By Bob on 02/24/06 17:17 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A real nice SUV. I just had aftermarket leather put in for <1000. Fun to drive and very comfortable on all road conditions.

Best SUV Value
By Terry Cumiskey on 02/21/06 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1st SUV, 6th Toyota since 1980. Best SUV product value on the market today.

Love my Highlander!
By Pat Hardin on 02/04/06 01:29 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Extremely comfortable to drive. Easy to get in and out of (I'm short). Lots of get up and go when you need it. I was really surprised the first time I passed someone on a 2 lane. Very quiet...you have to really listed to hear it running.