Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love the ride
By Ragsny

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for almost 3 yrs and i love it. i have 3 small kids and a dog and we often drive down to myrtle beach and it holds all of us with no problem. My wife has a town and country mini van and she likes the way the highlander drives better. it has plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas mileage and is very good in the snow.

the 3rd row comes in handy with 3 boys and a couple of nieces

none

Heater Woes
By jojodamonkeyboy

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Temperature control stopped working. I contacted parts department at local dealership. Knob was 'okay' but told unit was faulty and would cost $825 to replace (not including dealer costs). Found a website that discussed same problem with Highlanders and Tacomas. Friend & I removed heater/air- conditioner unit. There are three welds for temperature on left side and system control on right. Two of the three welds on the temp gauge had broken. Rest of unit is made up of electronics and circuit boards. My friend has worked on RC vehicles and was able to take care of re-welding parts. Now works almost good as new & I saved lots of bucks. I'm not happy that Toyota hasn't id'ed problem

All in all, still a very nice ride.

Fix temperature control system!

Disappointed in Toyota
By dmac

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The shifts between 1st and 2nd (up and down)are annoying. Daughters driving it will get carsick. Saw this in other reviews. Poor factory install on gaskets caused oil leaks. Lower weather strip on driver side is detaching. Steering is loose and makes it feel like some problem with front end.

Quick 2nd to 3rd to 4th gears. Moms won't care though.

VERY Good
By Jenny

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my SUV in 2005. It has no problem at all. I read other consumer's comments about tires. My SUV did not replace tires until 56k miles. Right now it's 99k and haven't replaced 2nd tires yet. The condition is very good. Interior is very comfortable and spacious. I really love it so much.

VERY RELIABLE!!!

Very Pleased
By cpaman

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV used with 40,000 miles. I just returned from a 3500 mile trip through the Rockies and was very pleased with the performance in the mountains. So far, I have had no mechanical problems.

Strong engine, comfortable ride, spacious cargo area.

Driver leg room on the sides is crowded due to the center console.