2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Highlander Rocks!
By metuka22 on 03/06/07 19:55 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first new car that I purchased. I absolutely love it! I have never taken it to the dealership (other than service of course) and I do not have one complaint. I recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to purchase a new or used car. Enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Quality gone bye bye.
By sdcatoydriver05 on 01/28/07 09:04 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has had noises since it was bought. Brake muffler on master cylinder installed wrong, vibration on acceleration. Took 3 days to find problem. Recall on retainer clip for floor mats. Recently steering makes clicking and felt like parts are loose. Car went in twice and took 10 days to fix. Steering shaft had to be replaced it was defective. Rear doors rattle when car is warm. Two trips to find problem. This is the 5th toyota I have owned. Never had these type of things happen on the others. So much for toyota quality when put together.

satisfied
By mary harrell on 09/20/06 07:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

our highlander has been very dependable. weve driven it to atlantic city a few time. its a very smooth ride, and comfortable. we havent had any problems with it.we would reccomend this vehicle to any one.its very good on hills. we bought the toyota highlander,because we didnt like not being able to see. we owned the toyota camry,before the highlander.it was hard to see the traffic ahead,because of all the suv;s and trucks in front of us. we are completely satisfied sincerely mary harrell somerville,nj

Major Disappointment
By criticalbob on 08/15/06 23:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Five speed transmission is rather rough. First gear is especially useless - you could push the car faster off the line. Handling is mediocre at best, as the car seems heavy and clumsy. Also, like a car equipped with an old fashioned carburetor, it often seems to hesitate and stumble. Gas mileage has been a major disappointment. As one other reviewer noted, the paint can be scratched with a fingernail. Of the three Toyotas I have owned, this is the first one that will be traded after only three years. Seems very overpriced for what you get, so it will be interesting to see what the trade-in value will be.

Highlander 2005
By SUZ on 08/10/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the greatest vehicle that I have owned. Its fun to drive, very comfortable and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had several different vehicles including 3 SUVs and I love this one the best. Having the 3rd row is like a bonus. We don't use it much but it is nice to know its there if we need it.

Toy 05
By Dave on 08/09/06 11:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best built vehicle ever owned, perfect for many many needs.

Nice but not perfect
By Maurice on 08/05/06 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the overall package but have a couple of issues. About 6 months after I bought my Highlander, the driver's side weatherstrip came off at the bottom of the door. Toyota issued a Technical Service Bulletin about it (see edmunds.com Maintenance, Recalls, and TSBs) so it must be a fairly common problem. Closing the sunroof completely is a guessing game. If you hold the button too long the roof tilts up. I've also noticed an excessive amount of wind noise on the highway, which was addressed in another Toyota TSB. To me those are fairly minor issues. Would I still buy one? Probably so.

Disappointed
By rdibella on 06/25/06 09:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1) Significant, frequent and dangerous hesitation problem (reminiscent of an out-of-adjustment carburetor in the old days). 2) Rough shifting transmission; shifts at odd rpm levels. 3) Annoying rear hatch door rattle. 4) Rough starting at unpredictable times. 5) Difficult to moderate AC/heat with the standard controls. 6) Other trivial items that, in the past, would have never been associated with a Toyota product.

What is Missing
By Stuart Goldfine on 06/22/06 22:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Wish the car had a temperature gauge for outside temp. Also another cup holder on left side of steering wheel. Also with the cloth seats on the V-6, you do not get a CD player holding 6 discs.

Better out there
By timberdoodle on 05/31/06 20:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven 4wds for 30+ years and have never been stuck until I bought this one. I had to be pulled out 3 times this past winter alone and it was a mild one at that!! The tires are worn out with less than 20,000 miles on them!!! The car is nice on a plowed road, but don't try to go in deep snow! It may be ok for a housewife who doesn't really need 4wd, but for those who do, look elsewhere! The interior is filled with cheap plastic and only available in light colors (very impractical) for those people who use a SUV in daily life. You can scratch the paint on the outside with your fingernail!!! Read the fine print on the towing capabilities and packages. A True Lie!!! What a joke.