Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Reliability Problems
By Jim

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new; since then 3 windshields, 3 sets of rear and 2 sets of front brakes, 3 transmission transfer cases, and both sets of rear wheel bearings. Everything except the engine seems to be under specified. The Toyota dealer tells me to sell it as it was made on 'Monday'! My '97 Avalon required only $40 worth of unscheduled maintenance at 130K miles. What's happened to Toyota quality?

Highlander - perfect reliability 5 years
By Dave - Kansas city

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Highlander brand new, and it has performed absolutely perfectly for 5+ years. I replaced a headlight last year, otherwise perfect. Very comfortable to drive, quiet on the highway, zero build defects, the V6 is adequate if not a neck-snapper, but with very good fuel economy (27 on the highway, 21 around town). The styling is a bit bland, but as an engineer I appreciate how well it is built. I have owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and both have been exteremly good. But when I replace this Highlander, I certainly drive a new Highlander first.

Build quality is very high, plenty of room to haul things like my telescopes and huge model airplanes. Great milage, very comfortable seats and controls. Quiet on the highway. And did I mention a perfect maintenance record?

The newer (2010) Highlanders have improved the styling substantially. But it is still not fancy.

Love the ride
By Ragsny

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for almost 3 yrs and i love it. i have 3 small kids and a dog and we often drive down to myrtle beach and it holds all of us with no problem. My wife has a town and country mini van and she likes the way the highlander drives better. it has plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas mileage and is very good in the snow.

the 3rd row comes in handy with 3 boys and a couple of nieces

none

Heater Woes
By jojodamonkeyboy

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Temperature control stopped working. I contacted parts department at local dealership. Knob was 'okay' but told unit was faulty and would cost $825 to replace (not including dealer costs). Found a website that discussed same problem with Highlanders and Tacomas. Friend & I removed heater/air- conditioner unit. There are three welds for temperature on left side and system control on right. Two of the three welds on the temp gauge had broken. Rest of unit is made up of electronics and circuit boards. My friend has worked on RC vehicles and was able to take care of re-welding parts. Now works almost good as new & I saved lots of bucks. I'm not happy that Toyota hasn't id'ed problem

All in all, still a very nice ride.

Fix temperature control system!

Disappointed in Toyota
By dmac

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The shifts between 1st and 2nd (up and down)are annoying. Daughters driving it will get carsick. Saw this in other reviews. Poor factory install on gaskets caused oil leaks. Lower weather strip on driver side is detaching. Steering is loose and makes it feel like some problem with front end.

Quick 2nd to 3rd to 4th gears. Moms won't care though.