2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Superb vehicle
By Gus on 11/19/08 21:19 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic car. I have driven it for the past 3 1/2 years and I have had NO problems at all with this car. When Edmunds said this car was reliable back in 2005, they were on the mark! Please see positives and negatives below.

Satisfied At First
By jlt on 08/01/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a highlander after reading hundreds of reviews. I was looking for a reliable vehicle this time around. From the first day I bought it, the transmission skipped. The dealership continues to tell me that this is how Toyotas perform. Recently we took the vehicle on vacation and upon returning, we had to have the transmission seal replaced because of a transmission fluid leak. One tire is bad and when rotated, they placed it on the back of the vehicle, so not I need to have that replaced. I only have 25K miles on the car, so I am becoming a skeptic. I love the looks of the car and the interior. It may be time to trade-in, but not sure I would buy a Toyota again - just not sure.

Pack Up/Gas Up/Giddy Up
By FireFighter6928 on 06/24/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Cutting to the chase: MPG, appearance interior & exterior, comfort, electric windows, door locks, a/c are all excellent.

Very satisfied
By jarcros on 05/23/08 18:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've bought this suv a month ago and love it. Traded in my 03 highlander b/c it didn't have 3rd row. The 05 has a lot smoother acceleration and the leather interior looks nice. Only complaint is the sunroof. First it's annoying that you have to hold the button in order for it to move. I assume this is a safety feature, but it's still annoying. Second, it is difficult to find the "closed" spot. If you keep holding the button trying to make sure it closes securely, it will tilt up. In the old highlander all I had to do was gently depress the button and it would open or close all the way

This car fits me fine!
By DS on 04/09/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first SUV. I fought with the Camry; I'm tall & that car was too low and hard getting in and out. The Highlander just "fits" me. I love being above the sedans and eye-to-eye with SUVs. It is very comfortable to drive. I had some windows limo-tinted providing privacy and better interior temp in summer. Pump sticker shock, yes, but I watch the useful realtime mpg indicator to gauge how I'm driving. Drivers see you when you're coming and don't pull out in front of you as often. Opening rear windows w/o front open = weird noise and eardrum pressure. I plan to have this car 10 years or more, even with the gas prices.

Happy
By Sue on 03/25/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, I have had 3 SUVs and 2 were Highlanders. This is the best SUV I have owned. The comfort and handling of this vehicle is very nice. I am very happy with the Highlander Limited.

Extremely Dissatisfied
By Rhonda Ricci on 12/08/07 01:40 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the limited for less than 3 years and have had several problems with the sunroof. Had to be totally replaced in 11/2006 due to operational problems. Now, in 12/2007 unbelievably have the same problems as well as leaks in track causing condensation, electrical, and requiring replacement again! Only Toyota will not replace again and admit poor workmanship or defective parts due to expired warranty. Cost a whopping $2500. for a sunroof used in New England for merely 4 months/year. Am wheeling this disappontment and buying a lexus or murano! Also, acceleration is hesitant, problems with transmission. Don't waste your $.

2005 Toyota Highlander
By Tex on 10/18/07 12:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great pep and pick-up, good braking with 4 wheel discs. Good cross country car. Have not been back for any warranty service. Very reliable.

Not what I expected from Toyota
By Marc on 07/27/07 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

About the only things I like about my Highlander is the reliability and it drives pretty good for an SUV. Others hit themajor disappointments starting with the poor MPG about 17 summer & 14 winter. Tires were replaced at 21,000 miles. Transmission is jerky if you step on the gas and then let off. Paint does scratch very easy (just rubbing finger on paint). The best part is while getting an oil change at the same dealer it was purchased from (about 1 year old) I asked how much I could get for trade-in on a new Hybrid. After review (on my almost as good as new condition vehicle) they offered $12,400 less than what I paid one year previously. What a big disappointment.

Good Car
By klauer on 04/13/07 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car two years and it's been great. Only problem is I recently looked into selling it. It appraised for 13000 less than i bought it for only two years later. Believe it or not my Ford actually held it's value better than that. That's definitely not what i expected!