Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Highlander Bad
By DK

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car based on Consumer Reports ratings. So far, the temp thermostat had to be replaced, I also had a wheel bearing replaced, and now I am told that a sequential humming is probably the differential - very costly. The car is herky-jerky and the interior leather looks more like vinyl. This is my last Toyota. DK

This car is way over rated.

Toyota needs to step up its quality.

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L
By WarrenG

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new in 2005 and now have 65k trouble-free miles on it. After 3 Explorers, it has been very nice not to have to meet on a regular basis with the service writer for a change. 4-cyl is strong enough and gives 20 mpg around town, 25 hwy. Only problem was with original Toyo tires - at 29k they looked great but couldn't keep the vehicle on the road in FL summer rains. New Michelin LTs solved that problem. Only costs have been oil changes, filter changes, and a new battery. Very satisfied.

Design and reliability

Nix the original Toyo tires.

Reliability Problems
By Jim

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new; since then 3 windshields, 3 sets of rear and 2 sets of front brakes, 3 transmission transfer cases, and both sets of rear wheel bearings. Everything except the engine seems to be under specified. The Toyota dealer tells me to sell it as it was made on 'Monday'! My '97 Avalon required only $40 worth of unscheduled maintenance at 130K miles. What's happened to Toyota quality?

Highlander - perfect reliability 5 years
By Dave - Kansas city

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Highlander brand new, and it has performed absolutely perfectly for 5+ years. I replaced a headlight last year, otherwise perfect. Very comfortable to drive, quiet on the highway, zero build defects, the V6 is adequate if not a neck-snapper, but with very good fuel economy (27 on the highway, 21 around town). The styling is a bit bland, but as an engineer I appreciate how well it is built. I have owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and both have been exteremly good. But when I replace this Highlander, I certainly drive a new Highlander first.

Build quality is very high, plenty of room to haul things like my telescopes and huge model airplanes. Great milage, very comfortable seats and controls. Quiet on the highway. And did I mention a perfect maintenance record?

The newer (2010) Highlanders have improved the styling substantially. But it is still not fancy.

Love the ride
By Ragsny

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for almost 3 yrs and i love it. i have 3 small kids and a dog and we often drive down to myrtle beach and it holds all of us with no problem. My wife has a town and country mini van and she likes the way the highlander drives better. it has plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas mileage and is very good in the snow.

the 3rd row comes in handy with 3 boys and a couple of nieces