Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2000 MILE ROAD TEST
By KEVIN H

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I picked this vehicle up on a Friday the 17th of June for the start of our trip on Saturday the 18th of June 2005. From Saturday through Sunday the 26th of June I logged 2016 miles. This is not your fathers oldsmobile!!! We have owned 5 camrys and this would be our first SUV. This car ran flawless. It is suprising that after all the research I do on new vehichles, I keep coming back to Toyota. The craftsmanship is outstanding from layout to finish. I find this to be my safe haven. Quality.

Favorite Features

Quiet refined ride. Felt very safe, a solid feel to this vehicle. Spacious cabin, controls easily adjustable. Ride was impressive on the main roads as it was on back roads. Seating was comfortable, except the drivers seat was too hard. Plenty of room for guests and luggage. Loved the sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Improve drivers seat, to firm.Improve JBL sound system to weak.Sun roof controls are a little confusing. Thats it. Overall a remarkable vehicle.

Love it
By Joan

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought this SUV 4 weeks ago. I love it. It rides like a car and interior is roomy well equipped. I looked at all the mid size SUV's and this is the one I kept coming back to.

Favorite Features

The smooth and enjoyable ride.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of

2005 Highlander
By Steve Bucher

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After one year and 16,000 miles, our Highlander has been everything we expected. Great ride, good fuel economy, and excellent utility. No mechanical problems whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Utility of seating up to seven, while still providing hauling capacity. Practical roof rack. Comfortable ride on long trips, not a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires. Standard tires are not particularly good in snow. Wear out quickly.

Super Mid-SUV
By Super SUV

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

WOW, the Highlander is an awesome vehicle: handles very well and very quiet. The drivers position and the dash layout are both done extremely well-everything is easily within reach, and the materials used feel "expensive-not cheap". In addition, the fit and finish is superb! The engine has a nice "growl" when pressed above 3000 rpm, and power is exceptional. Toyota has done a great job!

Favorite Features

Extremely satisfying vehicle to drive on all kinds of road conditions and surfaces--very quiet with excellent power and braking performance. The JBL stereo performs very well. The auto-climate control works-set and forget! The driver is made to feel they are the focus of attention. Great vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

The only nit-pick thing so far that I would have changed/added: the instrument panel is sometimes hard to see during certain times of the day, (especially when wearing sun glasses), need to have dash panel lights come on "automatically" when this condition occures; otherwise WELL DONE!

I drive it every chance I get!
By Michellebell

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was ready to buy a new car for the first time ever. I did oodles of research, lots of test drives and asking friends. I finally hit upon the Highlander as my main interests were comfort and reliability. I had never bought a foreign car before, but my HL has not disappointed. I am 5'4" and it seems like it was built just for me. My husband, however, is 6'4" and he seems cramped when he drives it, although he fits better in the passenger seat. Taller drivers may need to look at the Sequoia. I enjoy driving my HL so much, that i drive it at every opportunity!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, very comfortable. I love the layout of the dash and controls, they seem to fit my small hands perfectly. I also love the color of the lights on the dash, a flourescent white color that is very calming.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had daytime driving lights, as I think it is safer. I just drive with my headlights on all the time and they automatically shut off. I do have some hesitation when going from brake to accelerator at certain speeds, sometimes I notice it more than others, but I learned to live with it.