Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Most Helpful|
good vehicle
By S bush

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

had a problem with drivers armrest upon delivery, also had rubber around door come loose within 1st tank of gas. Drives well with full load of passengers.

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

softer seats

I miss my Jeep
By Andy

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Poor handling on snow/ice. Back end wants to come around front. Brakes tend to grab when you slow down from 60 to 50. Brakes also seem like you are not going to stop. After cold start up occasionally the brake pedal goes to the floor. Dealer says nothing wrong. Overly sensitive handling at higher speeds. No tinting-Sun gets really hot. Brake pedal to steering wheel distance is weird. To adjust seat for comfort to brake pedal, you have to extend arms to reach steering wheel, causing fatigue. I have short legs. NOT for someone with longer legs. 3rd seat is for people 30 lbs or less. Rear door window will not open separately. Light cloth interior gets dirty easily. Very sensitive driver window.

Favorite Features

Power and acceleration is fantastic. Great visibility out windows. Easy to parallel park. Dry road handling is very good except for sensitive steering at higher speeds. I got 18mpg at 75mph on long trip with A/C on.

Suggested Improvements

Split upper and lower rear hatch. Make handling on ice as good as Jeep Grand Cherokee. Fix distance from brake pedal to seat, to steering wheel. More comfortable seats. Availability of darker upholstery to resist dirt.

I agree
By Roxy101

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree the seats are very uncomfortable after driving for about 1 hour. I am 5'7 and I feel cramped. When I test droved I felt comfortable. This is not a good car for long trips. I plan to trade this car. I've only had it for 1 month not satisfied. I read the reviews and did not believe about the loud noise with the rear windows down. The noise is terrible. So from now on out I will believe and add car reviews from consumers on this post. I have the 4cyc. gas mileage is better than the Ford explorer I traded but gas mileage is not what promised. I will keep checking and adding and dividing my gas mileage. Can not get good epa I have to run the air. Due to noise with windows down

Favorite Features

None Still looking. Motivating factor for purchasing was the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Comfortable seating and moonroof option. Digital compass

Get It
By dohale

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So far it's been an excellent vehicle, great ride, plenty of power, good gas mileage, lots of room, good handling and a solid built feel to it.

Favorite Features

Ride, power and handling

Suggested Improvements

Speed activated doorlocks.

So sorry I bought it!!
By Not a fan

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Gas mileage not as advertised. Most uncomfortable front seat!! Too short for people with longer legs. Arm rests do not fall in the proper place for people with wide shoulders. For all its bells and whistles, doesn't have automatic locks (when engaging transmission) which I had on my prior 10 year old car and I consider a big personal safety factor. Poor design on console. Wasted space underneath cup holders. Cover on console opens with weight of pocketbook... very annoying. Doors do not close easily... must be slammed to engage lock. Gas cap release in awkward position. Must open door and unlock seat belt to reach. Doesn't have "Miles to Go" on its Info button, which was very handy.

Favorite Features

Nothing special.

Suggested Improvements

Autolocks when engaging transmission. Increase size of seat. Reposition gas cap release.