Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

over all a very solid SUV
By sonny

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV has so so interior, but overall the build is very solid, typical TOYOTA quality. I have also looked at Honda Pilot, although also a very solid SUV, the build quality did not seem to be as solid as the Highlander. My previous car was a 2001 IS300 and the Highlander, SUV class, is more comfortable and quiet. The JVC stereo is great and the control buttons on the steering wheel are easy to use, although I can reach the stereo with my right hand easily. The third row seats are meant for two kids or a 6’ tall person for a short trip. I longest trip I have done so far was a three hours (one-way) trip and I was not tired at all. If the gas price remain high, I may switch to Hybrid model.

2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat. great stereo.

I don't know why, but if the battery is disconnected, the sunroof needs to be reprogrammed. This could be inconvenient. Also, if you are wearing sunglasses with Polarized lens, you won’t be able to read the display on the stereo.

Toyota Highlander
By Bill Noble

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Toyota Highlander is probably the best ride I've ever owned, including 2 Camry's I've owned. It holds the road almost by itself and practically floats. I'm not as impressed with its interior design, or that most options cost more than with other makes. The 3 year warranty is adequate, because I've only had one problems with any Toyota I've had, which was the fuel pump on a Camry. Thanks for asking!

Very smooth ride, and excellent view of other cars.

My Highlander has very plain upholstery. I wanted cloth, because I find leather gets too hot in Florida. I owned a RAV4 for 4 years (before my Highlander) that had very attractive upholstery.

"My first Toyota..Oh what a delight"
By Jacksonville Bill

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm totally pleased with my 2005 Toyota Highlander, 2.4 four cylinder, Sonora Gold Pearl aka "Goldilocks or Goldie". She's just right! This vehicle does everything my 1994 Ford Aerostar van did and more. I can haul people, cargo and my dog "Blue" in relative comfort and it has four doors! The ride is so smooth and comfortable. I feel like I'm floating on a cloud. I have a daily commute of 40 miles round trip and the mileage I'm getting is remarkable and because of all the safety features my insurance rate only increased $5.00 a month. "Oh what a savings". I love my Toyota Highlander.."Oh what a delight".

I love the electronic stability system. Excellent on rain slick roads especially in Florida where we experience an occasional hurricane or two or three or... This is the safest vehicle I've ever owned.

None.

Good job
By BC

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I bought the Highlander after months of research. The reliability and reputation of Toyota went a long way in our decision. The gas mileage helped, too. I don't know where they got the 19/21 on the sticker, but I routinely get 25-plus out of my 6-cylinder. The exterior could be a little jazzier, and I have trouble with the steering wheel audio controls. While I'm driving, my thumb hits the "mode" button, turning on the stereo when I'm not expecting it.

Comfortable seating and lots of leg room, even though I'm over 6 feet tall. Lots of storage spaces. Great for long trips.

Rethink the placement of the audio controls on the steering wheel. Give the exterior design some spark.

Very Good -- not Great
By Bill

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven it over 5K miles. Overall, I think it is a good car. It's very peppy at slow speeds and is great on mountain roads. At high speeds, on the interstate, the transmission continually shifts on minor hills until it's annoying. Rush hour on the interstate is not fun! Downshifting is slow and uncertain! It's almost dangerous when trying to change lanes quickly. It holds the road great, steering is very responsive, allwheel drive is very good and it rides smoothly. Gas mileage is poor - about 22; only 10% better than my full size Chevy pickup and my Lexus LS 400.

Auto close feature on drivers window.

Better matching of engine and transmission. Better gas mileage. Add adjustable lumbar support to the passenger seat.