Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

I like it more every day!!!
By EWeber

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Camry SE V6 for my 4 cyl Highlander. At first I was concerned about not having sufficient power, but I have been pleasantly surprized by the acceleration. I find the seats comfortable and the visibility is excellent. My son has a 4 Runner and it rides like a buckboard compared to the Highlander. The ride is very similar to my Camry SE. There is an abundance of room for hauling passengers and cargo. Gas mileage has exceeded expectations and should only improve as the engine gets a few more miles on it. It handles very well and is considerably more stable in maneuvers than a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tested. This is my third Toyota and I expect reliability to be great.

Ride, handling, visibility. Some people say they wish the Highlander had better styling, but I disagree. I think the Highlander has classic lines that will not lose their panache with age.

The sunglass holder, change tray and center console storage feel somewhat flimsy. I wish the steering wheel telescoped. When my legs are comfortable, the steering wheel is about an inch too far away. Minor things that have not diminished my my positive impressions of the Highlander.

Best SUV
By Julie

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If there is anyone who has never owned a toyota, now is the time to try one. I once owned a toyota camry and upgraded to the highlander. Driving the highlander is just like driving a camry. The drive is smooth and operates just like a car. The gas consumption is decent I usally can get about 350 miles to a full tank. This car is equiped with up to date safety features. As a mom I would highly recommend the highlander to other women who value safety when looking for a car. I have only has this suv for 8 months now but I have been driving with toyota for over 8 years now and I truly believe they make the most reliable vehicles.

Safety locks for children, safety light comes on when tire pressure is low

Better tires on standard packages Temp. reading for weather

I agree
By Roxy101

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree the seats are very uncomfortable after driving for about 1 hour. I am 5'7 and I feel cramped. When I test droved I felt comfortable. This is not a good car for long trips. I plan to trade this car. I've only had it for 1 month not satisfied. I read the reviews and did not believe about the loud noise with the rear windows down. The noise is terrible. So from now on out I will believe and add car reviews from consumers on this post. I have the 4cyc. gas mileage is better than the Ford explorer I traded but gas mileage is not what promised. I will keep checking and adding and dividing my gas mileage. Can not get good epa I have to run the air. Due to noise with windows down

None Still looking. Motivating factor for purchasing was the gas mileage.

Comfortable seating and moonroof option. Digital compass

high on my highlander
By Susannah

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really love this car. I got the Limited, with the 3rd row optional seating. It's a peach going up I5 on the Grapevine in LA. It handles great, has great rear and side visibility, unlike some other SUVs. I wish the gas mileage was better though...

everything's within easy reach for the driver. Lots of room for passengers and stuff, without feeling crowded. Like the way the 3rd row has cup holders and heat

I'm tall and the seat feels a little short for my legs (thighs), but with all the many automatic ways to adjust the seat, it's good! I would like a bigger wastebasket, the little ashtray space or whatever, is too small.

Highlander Heaven
By nancrosy

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my Highlander. I initially bought this because of its safety ratings and the side curtain airbags. It handles well in the Buffalo snow and ice, which is much to its credit. The seats and legroom are generous enough for my two 6 foot-plus teenagers. The ride is smooth and quiet. It requires only routine maintenance and is very reliable.

I love the heated seats in the winter and the 6-CD changer. As another reviewer mentioned, its much like driving from your most comfortable chair, very important when you drive as many miles as I do.

The airflow problem when only the back windows are open, it sounds like a helicopter has descended on the roof. (However, I had the same problem in the Ford that I owned.) The CD player should be able to play for an hour after the engine is shut off. (Available on a Ford.)