Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Most Helpful|
Highlander Rocks!
By metuka22

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first new car that I purchased. I absolutely love it! I have never taken it to the dealership (other than service of course) and I do not have one complaint. I recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to purchase a new or used car. Enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, very comfortable, great look, gas efficient for this size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None! Very satisfied.

VERY Good
By Jenny

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my SUV in 2005. It has no problem at all. I read other consumer's comments about tires. My SUV did not replace tires until 56k miles. Right now it's 99k and haven't replaced 2nd tires yet. The condition is very good. Interior is very comfortable and spacious. I really love it so much.

Favorite Features

VERY RELIABLE!!!

In love after all these years.
By shasta4

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

135K miles. Bought 8/04. Most options, 3rd row. V6, 3.3, AWD. I've had big 3, BMW (3), Volvo (2), Jag V12 sedan, Audi and this is the best of them all in terms of overall satisfaction. I can find small design grips like the vague sunroof switch, tight 3 row seat, but very little problems and outstanding reliability. Orig. Bridgestones 50K. Rear brakes 60K. Front brakes 130K ! All lamps except highs original. High beams 120K. Tow a 2,000 lb travel trailer cross 3,000 miles averaging 20.5mpg. Mileage town 18, highway 23. No leaks, amazing tranny, great power, tows trailer beautifully (after easy lift). One problem. At 50K rear bushing worn. Probably do to trailer towing.

Favorite Features

Paint finish near perfect even though in CA sun, never in garage. Transmission is amazing. Some hunting for gear when applying then letting off of power. But less hunting than any other car I have driven. Winter package with wiper and defrost works well and was very inexpensive. AWD is amazing. Lived in Ohio and No. CA and traction is beyond belief with standard tires. Never stuck. Have plowed thru 6-8". Traction system is smarter than any driver. When in trouble just stand on the gas and the computer starts chirping, the power level adjusts, the car climbs out of trouble, amazing. Better then friends Jeep in anything other than off road. Cannot get the thing to squirrel around.

Suggested Improvements

Rear bushing assembly that carries the wheel seems to be weak. Both have failed. One at replaced at 50K the other at 90K, but not replaced, just rattles on very rough roads. Should be tougher. I suspects this is the result of towing with a too heavy tongue weight. 50K bushing replacement fine after 80K more miles, so I thing the easy lift hitch took the strain off the rear. Otherwise the handing is near BMW standard. I have felt the tire noise is too great for a quality car. The orig. Bridgestones OK but Michellins are noisy, although I get about 50K miles. Wish front passenger seat was lower or adjusted like power driver's. I am tall with bad back so I always use comfy drivers.

My First new car
By spindry

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Firstly, my last car was a '95 minivan. The HL handles better than the minivan, its mileage, however, is about the same: 14 mpg city (NYC) and 20 mpg HW. I do not accelerate quickly. It brakes and control is far superior!!

Favorite Features

The heated side mirrors are a wonderful feature....highly recommend them.

Suggested Improvements

Make the tow-prep pre-wire connector easu to get to, and use a standard connector.

Value for Money
By amithw

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 169K miles on my toyota. Still rounds great. Only change oil and filters, belts. I get 21city and 24hwy MPG. Great car very reliable. Use good tires and the ride is even smoother. Only defect I see is some clanking noise coming from front suspension. No mechanic could fix it. So I drive with it,

Favorite Features

Body style and design