Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Big Mistake
By morris

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The research described the Highlander as a very good vehicle. I am dissappointed and trying to cut my losses. I moved to WV a couple of years ago and got tired of bottoming out my 2001 Volvo V70 T5 (100,000 mi). The Hylander has difficulty excellerating on the hills, the brakes grab, the cruise control is jerky and shifts into overdrive frequently (dealer says its fine), the plastic components are light weight and fall off, poor ventilation to the back seat area, seat heaters are inadequate, road noise is excessive, a recent stone 'star' to the windshield revealed a single piece of glass. I do not feel safe and I can't believe I spent the money. My Chevy 2500HD diesel is better.

Favorite Features

Easy to get in and out of, radio is not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Build this car so it is worth the money, or reduce the price. The mileage is terrible for the low power output.

Not So Great
By Dag

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This Highlander I bough in June of 2005. Until the middle of july, this car was great. Then, a few things went wrong which the toyota dealer said it was an "abnormal configuration". I will tell you what went wrong. The disc brakes failed at a stop light and I slid into the car infront of me. The air bags deployed and I didn't get hurt. Then once i got it fixed, the antenna fell off. This vehicle after that was preaty good. The interior design is preaty boring and could use some spicing up. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Having a Chevy Venture before this, and having a accident in it before I got rid of it, the highlander looks much and is much better. It is also VERY comfortable.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, Fun to drive, better then the crapy chevy venture, and love the sun roof!

Suggested Improvements

Horrible gas mileage (improve), faulty brakes and antenna (fix those), maybe make better towing capaisity, and better controls for the sun roof.

I like it more every day!!!
By EWeber

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Camry SE V6 for my 4 cyl Highlander. At first I was concerned about not having sufficient power, but I have been pleasantly surprized by the acceleration. I find the seats comfortable and the visibility is excellent. My son has a 4 Runner and it rides like a buckboard compared to the Highlander. The ride is very similar to my Camry SE. There is an abundance of room for hauling passengers and cargo. Gas mileage has exceeded expectations and should only improve as the engine gets a few more miles on it. It handles very well and is considerably more stable in maneuvers than a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tested. This is my third Toyota and I expect reliability to be great.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, visibility. Some people say they wish the Highlander had better styling, but I disagree. I think the Highlander has classic lines that will not lose their panache with age.

Suggested Improvements

The sunglass holder, change tray and center console storage feel somewhat flimsy. I wish the steering wheel telescoped. When my legs are comfortable, the steering wheel is about an inch too far away. Minor things that have not diminished my my positive impressions of the Highlander.

Best SUV
By Julie

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If there is anyone who has never owned a toyota, now is the time to try one. I once owned a toyota camry and upgraded to the highlander. Driving the highlander is just like driving a camry. The drive is smooth and operates just like a car. The gas consumption is decent I usally can get about 350 miles to a full tank. This car is equiped with up to date safety features. As a mom I would highly recommend the highlander to other women who value safety when looking for a car. I have only has this suv for 8 months now but I have been driving with toyota for over 8 years now and I truly believe they make the most reliable vehicles.

Favorite Features

Safety locks for children, safety light comes on when tire pressure is low

Suggested Improvements

Better tires on standard packages Temp. reading for weather

I agree
By Roxy101

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree the seats are very uncomfortable after driving for about 1 hour. I am 5'7 and I feel cramped. When I test droved I felt comfortable. This is not a good car for long trips. I plan to trade this car. I've only had it for 1 month not satisfied. I read the reviews and did not believe about the loud noise with the rear windows down. The noise is terrible. So from now on out I will believe and add car reviews from consumers on this post. I have the 4cyc. gas mileage is better than the Ford explorer I traded but gas mileage is not what promised. I will keep checking and adding and dividing my gas mileage. Can not get good epa I have to run the air. Due to noise with windows down

Favorite Features

None Still looking. Motivating factor for purchasing was the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Comfortable seating and moonroof option. Digital compass