Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Our traveler
By stan

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the Highlander in February. It's only used as a family car. Since owning it we have taken it from Maine to Florida and have had no problems at all. The back seat became a little cramped for our 2 children ages 11 and 14 however we did make use of a luggage carrier and that did help a lot. We have never used the third row seat. I find it a pleasure to drive with plenty of power. It did take little while to learn the switches. The limited off-road capability is to be taken seriously. I have gotten it stuck twice in sand and have determined that I would have been better served in a 4-runner only because of my off-road demands. Overall I would consider it a wonderful vehicle.

We feel it drives and rides wonderfully. With a trailer hitch it does become versatile .

My only suggestion would be to have more off-road capability.

Not A Bad Drive
By MCavallu

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle mainly because of an earlier family purchase of a Celica back in 1985 when my 2 brothers & I beat the heck out of it. This version however isn't exactly what I expected. First, the paint had chips at delivery, then one fog light was out & EVER since I owned it, the automatic shift isn't so fluid & the city gas mileage isn't near the "average" at all. A/C on a hot day just doesn't get cold enough! The car is indeed fun to drive but the driver's seat seems to tilt too forward almost making one feel like they're falling off the seat. Having said all of these things, I still feel it's a good, highly rated, vehicle.

3rd Row (although tight), ride quality, excellent workmanship.

Smoother shifting tranny, improved gas mileage, tilt of drivers seat & A/C temperature.

Great vehicle
By Gina

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We did a lot of researching before buying this car. I used to own a 1994 Corolla and was scared this would be a difficult transition. I have been very impressed with the car so far. The fuel economy is not that bad. I average about 22 miles per gallon. The ride is very smooth and the the car handling is impressive.

Power seats, road noise, handling

Quality of some of the interior features is poor. Sunglass holder has gotten jammed, cigarette lighter not attached well. Obviously if these are my only complaints it must be a good car.

Big Mistake
By morris

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The research described the Highlander as a very good vehicle. I am dissappointed and trying to cut my losses. I moved to WV a couple of years ago and got tired of bottoming out my 2001 Volvo V70 T5 (100,000 mi). The Hylander has difficulty excellerating on the hills, the brakes grab, the cruise control is jerky and shifts into overdrive frequently (dealer says its fine), the plastic components are light weight and fall off, poor ventilation to the back seat area, seat heaters are inadequate, road noise is excessive, a recent stone 'star' to the windshield revealed a single piece of glass. I do not feel safe and I can't believe I spent the money. My Chevy 2500HD diesel is better.

Easy to get in and out of, radio is not bad.

Build this car so it is worth the money, or reduce the price. The mileage is terrible for the low power output.

Not So Great
By Dag

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This Highlander I bough in June of 2005. Until the middle of july, this car was great. Then, a few things went wrong which the toyota dealer said it was an "abnormal configuration". I will tell you what went wrong. The disc brakes failed at a stop light and I slid into the car infront of me. The air bags deployed and I didn't get hurt. Then once i got it fixed, the antenna fell off. This vehicle after that was preaty good. The interior design is preaty boring and could use some spicing up. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Having a Chevy Venture before this, and having a accident in it before I got rid of it, the highlander looks much and is much better. It is also VERY comfortable.

Comfortable, Fun to drive, better then the crapy chevy venture, and love the sun roof!

Horrible gas mileage (improve), faulty brakes and antenna (fix those), maybe make better towing capaisity, and better controls for the sun roof.