2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
8+ years and 111,000 miles and keeps on going
By dreamer123890 on 04/22/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just love my 2005 Highlander. So much so that we cant seem to find a reason to replace it. I bought it used in 2006 with 20k miles and have added 90k+ miles. Getting an average of 25 on highway and about 20 in the city for a v6 is terrific. I have so many memories in this car - we have done lots of roadtrips. Besides the standard 90k maintenance to replace the belts, pump etc. and regular 5k mile maintenance, i have had 1 issue - the fuel cap needed replacing at 108k miles. I guess we will wait another 2 years and then replace it around 150k with either a Lexus Rx or another highlander!

Paint chiping off
By Mike on 10/22/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The paint on the drivers side mirror is not only chipping away but you can actually see it bubbling. The car has less than 50K miles on it but the dealer will not repair or replace the mirror. I also have a 2000 Honda Accord 6 cyc. I looks and drives like it's brand new. And is has 111K miles on it with no major work whatsoever. Bottom line, stay away from Toyota. You will never go wrong with a Honda.

Quality and Customer Service Failing
By SUV Woes on 03/24/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander new and I have been disappointed in the quality and customer service since that day. The SUV had rail dust that required several treatments but still exists. My front differential began leaking at 42,000 miles and it was repaired. But at 65,000 miles it is leaking again. Told cost to repair is 1,900 and no break from the dealership or the corp. Factory tires had to be replaced too soon and the rear rotors as well because Toyota installs cheap ones now. I've learned to stay away from Toyota and always buy the extended warranties.

Happy
By Sue on 03/25/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, I have had 3 SUVs and 2 were Highlanders. This is the best SUV I have owned. The comfort and handling of this vehicle is very nice. I am very happy with the Highlander Limited.

Nice but not perfect
By Maurice on 08/05/06 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the overall package but have a couple of issues. About 6 months after I bought my Highlander, the driver's side weatherstrip came off at the bottom of the door. Toyota issued a Technical Service Bulletin about it (see edmunds.com Maintenance, Recalls, and TSBs) so it must be a fairly common problem. Closing the sunroof completely is a guessing game. If you hold the button too long the roof tilts up. I've also noticed an excessive amount of wind noise on the highway, which was addressed in another Toyota TSB. To me those are fairly minor issues. Would I still buy one? Probably so.

Best SUV Value
By Terry Cumiskey on 02/21/06 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1st SUV, 6th Toyota since 1980. Best SUV product value on the market today.

Nice Ride
By Randy Cohrs on 12/28/05 20:08 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been really good, it drives like a car, has the power to get down the road with extra to go. It get's good Gas mileage, even at 80 and 90 M.P.H. on the hiway it will get 22 mpg. we have really enjoyed all the room it has and the power to pull it.

It is GOOD!
By DJ on 11/30/05 19:18 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle! Could have left off the ashtray--no smoking in my vehicle! Great ride, very roomy and well designed.Would like to consider the Hybrid except for the big price difference--hard to make up that much even by saving on gas at $2gal. Would highly recommend the vehicle but as with all cars the purchase process is a pain.

quality
By morrison on 09/21/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a mini van to limited Highlander. I have watched and wanted one for while. Love the comfort and style. We got leather, and love it. Also like the stereo.

Outstanding vehicle
By Ken Andersen on 09/19/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So far it's a perfect vehicle, and very enjoyable. Very nice fit and quality of construction.