2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Sort Reviews by

8+ years and 111,000 miles and keeps on going
By dreamer123890

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just love my 2005 Highlander. So much so that we cant seem to find a reason to replace it. I bought it used in 2006 with 20k miles and have added 90k+ miles. Getting an average of 25 on highway and about 20 in the city for a v6 is terrific. I have so many memories in this car - we have done lots of roadtrips. Besides the standard 90k maintenance to replace the belts, pump etc. and regular 5k mile maintenance, i have had 1 issue - the fuel cap needed replacing at 108k miles. I guess we will wait another 2 years and then replace it around 150k with either a Lexus Rx or another highlander!

Favorite Features

reliability, efficiency, comfort, space, features

Suggested Improvements

acceleration is a little jerky, third row seating and access is not convenient

Paint chiping off
By Mike

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The paint on the drivers side mirror is not only chipping away but you can actually see it bubbling. The car has less than 50K miles on it but the dealer will not repair or replace the mirror. I also have a 2000 Honda Accord 6 cyc. I looks and drives like it's brand new. And is has 111K miles on it with no major work whatsoever. Bottom line, stay away from Toyota. You will never go wrong with a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your cheap paint!!!

Quality and Customer Service Failing
By SUV Woes

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander new and I have been disappointed in the quality and customer service since that day. The SUV had rail dust that required several treatments but still exists. My front differential began leaking at 42,000 miles and it was repaired. But at 65,000 miles it is leaking again. Told cost to repair is 1,900 and no break from the dealership or the corp. Factory tires had to be replaced too soon and the rear rotors as well because Toyota installs cheap ones now. I've learned to stay away from Toyota and always buy the extended warranties.

Favorite Features

It is now paid off.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind their quality and customer service. Toyota quality is a joke, buyer beware.

Happy
By Sue

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, I have had 3 SUVs and 2 were Highlanders. This is the best SUV I have owned. The comfort and handling of this vehicle is very nice. I am very happy with the Highlander Limited.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, and everything else.

Suggested Improvements

nothing.

Nice but not perfect
By Maurice

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the overall package but have a couple of issues. About 6 months after I bought my Highlander, the driver's side weatherstrip came off at the bottom of the door. Toyota issued a Technical Service Bulletin about it (see edmunds.com Maintenance, Recalls, and TSBs) so it must be a fairly common problem. Closing the sunroof completely is a guessing game. If you hold the button too long the roof tilts up. I've also noticed an excessive amount of wind noise on the highway, which was addressed in another Toyota TSB. To me those are fairly minor issues. Would I still buy one? Probably so.

Best SUV Value
By Terry Cumiskey

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1st SUV, 6th Toyota since 1980. Best SUV product value on the market today.

Favorite Features

Love the leather and upscale interior and the Limited's features.

Suggested Improvements

On the instrument panel the temp gauge and gas gauge should be reversed in terms of position. The steering wheel blocks the view of the fuel gauge and it is viewed, I believe, more often.

Nice Ride
By Randy Cohrs

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been really good, it drives like a car, has the power to get down the road with extra to go. It get's good Gas mileage, even at 80 and 90 M.P.H. on the hiway it will get 22 mpg. we have really enjoyed all the room it has and the power to pull it.

Favorite Features

The third seat is really nice with two kids, each one has there own seat to lay down on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

The drivers seat could have more controls for taller people.

It is GOOD!
By DJ

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle! Could have left off the ashtray--no smoking in my vehicle! Great ride, very roomy and well designed.Would like to consider the Hybrid except for the big price difference--hard to make up that much even by saving on gas at $2gal. Would highly recommend the vehicle but as with all cars the purchase process is a pain.

Favorite Features

Ride is smooooooth and steady! Can feel safe in about any conditions and at almost any speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of ashtray. A little better planned space in between the console and seats.

quality
By morrison

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a mini van to limited Highlander. I have watched and wanted one for while. Love the comfort and style. We got leather, and love it. Also like the stereo.

Favorite Features

Love the comfort of the seats. I do like the way the front drivers of the Limited has more positioning.

Suggested Improvements

2 things - Wish front drivers seat had memory positioning. Also am very disappointed at the noise inside the car. Have been told it was from aerodynamics of the car. Also hear a lot of road noise in this car. Don't know if it is from bigger tires or what . But it is really irritating

Outstanding vehicle
By Ken Andersen

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So far it's a perfect vehicle, and very enjoyable. Very nice fit and quality of construction.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and tight construction. It's very car like (good).

Suggested Improvements

Front seats need more thigh support. Also need to be able to automatically lock doors when shifting out of park.