2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L
By WarrenG on 04/07/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new in 2005 and now have 65k trouble-free miles on it. After 3 Explorers, it has been very nice not to have to meet on a regular basis with the service writer for a change. 4-cyl is strong enough and gives 20 mpg around town, 25 hwy. Only problem was with original Toyo tires - at 29k they looked great but couldn't keep the vehicle on the road in FL summer rains. New Michelin LTs solved that problem. Only costs have been oil changes, filter changes, and a new battery. Very satisfied.

Pack Up/Gas Up/Giddy Up
By FireFighter6928 on 06/24/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Cutting to the chase: MPG, appearance interior & exterior, comfort, electric windows, door locks, a/c are all excellent.

Highlander 2005
By SUZ on 08/10/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the greatest vehicle that I have owned. Its fun to drive, very comfortable and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had several different vehicles including 3 SUVs and I love this one the best. Having the 3rd row is like a bonus. We don't use it much but it is nice to know its there if we need it.

Happy Campers
By Cupid on 03/11/06 08:18 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have only had our Highlander for 7 months but we could not be happier. No problems with performance or engine quality and we changed from V6 minivan to 4 cylinders. Only complaints were with internal finish. We had to have some minor adjustments done to roof molding etc.

A Great Highlander
By Bob on 02/24/06 17:17 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A real nice SUV. I just had aftermarket leather put in for <1000. Fun to drive and very comfortable on all road conditions.

Great Buy!
By Paul on 01/03/06 16:54 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Researched SUVs extensively and picked this one b/c it drives like a car. The camry base makes it a much smoother ride than most SUVs. Gas mileage is great for SUV (better than our 2000 VW Jetta). Plus trunk area is great for moving large items (larger than Lexus RX 330). Two complaints: 1) Toyota does not give oil changes included in warranty and 2) What's with the 15 cup holders in the car?? You'd think camels designed interior. Maybe Toyota runs a sweat shop for their designers and all they could think about was water. So for the rare case you want to buy 15 Cokes (or Pepsis) in one sitting, you at least will have a place for all of them. Overall: Highly recommended.

Smooth Highlander
By Shania Jackson on 09/01/05 08:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's like I'm driving a smooth toyota car but I'm sitting up higher. It maneuvers smoothly around NYC corners and it's easy to transport the elderly in it.

I like it more every day!!!
By EWeber on 08/03/05 04:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Camry SE V6 for my 4 cyl Highlander. At first I was concerned about not having sufficient power, but I have been pleasantly surprized by the acceleration. I find the seats comfortable and the visibility is excellent. My son has a 4 Runner and it rides like a buckboard compared to the Highlander. The ride is very similar to my Camry SE. There is an abundance of room for hauling passengers and cargo. Gas mileage has exceeded expectations and should only improve as the engine gets a few more miles on it. It handles very well and is considerably more stable in maneuvers than a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tested. This is my third Toyota and I expect reliability to be great.

Best SUV
By Julie on 07/30/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If there is anyone who has never owned a toyota, now is the time to try one. I once owned a toyota camry and upgraded to the highlander. Driving the highlander is just like driving a camry. The drive is smooth and operates just like a car. The gas consumption is decent I usally can get about 350 miles to a full tank. This car is equiped with up to date safety features. As a mom I would highly recommend the highlander to other women who value safety when looking for a car. I have only has this suv for 8 months now but I have been driving with toyota for over 8 years now and I truly believe they make the most reliable vehicles.

I agree
By Roxy101 on 07/27/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree the seats are very uncomfortable after driving for about 1 hour. I am 5'7 and I feel cramped. When I test droved I felt comfortable. This is not a good car for long trips. I plan to trade this car. I've only had it for 1 month not satisfied. I read the reviews and did not believe about the loud noise with the rear windows down. The noise is terrible. So from now on out I will believe and add car reviews from consumers on this post. I have the 4cyc. gas mileage is better than the Ford explorer I traded but gas mileage is not what promised. I will keep checking and adding and dividing my gas mileage. Can not get good epa I have to run the air. Due to noise with windows down