Still hard to beat after 7 years and nearly 100,000 miles
By bbimmer7 on
2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
I received my '04 Highlander in 2010 from my mother when she purchased her new BMW X3. It was a great family car when it was hers and now it is a great first car for a teenage driver. Although it was a rather expensive car when bought new back in 12/2003, reliability has been excellent over the past 7 years, and very little money has had to have been put into it. Interior comfort and fit & finish quality are excellent. Exterior styling is a bit too boring for my tastes. Overall, I'm really happy with my Highlander. It's a solid vehicle with so many great features, and it's a great first car!
Favorite Features
I love the supportive perforated leather seats, heated seats, JBL sound system, automatic climate controls, woodgrain/brushed aluminum interior trim, cd changer, moonroof, 17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, all wheel drive, and 5-speed auto. The Highlander is great on comfort and visibility is exceptional for such a large vehicle. Acceleration is decent for an SUV.
Suggested Improvements
The V6 should have more power. The exterior styling, although attractive, is way too boring Fuel economy could be better, but I guess it's not awful for an AWD mid-size SUV. The heated front seats only have one low setting that doesn't do much; they should have at least 2 levels.