2004 Toyota Highlander 2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Great SUV

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Great SUV
By bruce on

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After looking at many cute utes and mid-size SUV's, my wife and I settled for the Highlander. After driving a 1992 Subaru Legacy we feel like we are driving a great handling and powerful SUV. I am very pleased with the overall appearance and driveablility. The only drawback is a slight hesitation when accelerating to merge into traffic. I found if I don't punch down on the accelerator, but give a more gradual throttle, the hesitation is minimal. Even though we bought this Highlander used, it comes highly recommended. Any vehicle that can stand the heavy usage that comes with a daily rental and still feel very solid is well designed and solidly put together.

Favorite Features

I like the driving position. Also legroom is excellent, both front and back. The third row seat is only for adults on a short trip, or children for extended trips. There is plenty of power under the hood. I look forward to driving this AWD model in the snow. Cornering is responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the throttle hesitation for merging into traffic, ie., freeways.